Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

No map detail

Just throwing something out here... I fly with a dedicated device either a wifi only tablet or a prepaid cell phone that's not activated. Would one be able to just turn on the hotspot on my regular cell phone to provide some brief "wifi" to my devices when you get to your location to bring up your maps? Provided you have cell coverage that is?

Yes...that's unfortunately how I have to do it. What sucks is that it doesn't work if you fly where there's no cell coverage. So either way, you have to plan carefully. You can't just download a bunch of map areas with Google Maps and then go out and explore an area.

LP

Funny thing that happened to me: Like you guys, I could never get cached Google maps to show up out in the field. All I ever got was the white square with a grid showing on it. No map. Only way to get a map in the field was if I connected live via wifi hotspot. Recently, one stick on my controller came loose so I had to return the Evo + controller to Autel. When I got it back , they sent me a new controller instead of fixing the old one + they upgraded to the latest firmware (I had the most recent version before this current version.) The interesting thing is, now the cached Google maps show up every time out in the field without any problem and without needing a hotspot! So, I don't know whether it was the new controller or the firmware upgrade, but something that Autel did while they had it obviously fixed that problem. Go figure ....

Funny thing that happened to me: Like you guys, I could never get cached Google maps to show up out in the field. All I ever got was the white square with a grid showing on it. No map. Only way to get a map in the field was if I connected live via wifi hotspot. Recently, one stick on my controller came loose so I had to return the Evo + controller to Autel. When I got it back , they sent me a new controller instead of fixing the old one + they upgraded to the latest firmware (I had the most recent version before this current version.) The interesting thing is, now the cached Google maps show up every time out in the field without any problem and without needing a hotspot! So, I don't know whether it was the new controller or the firmware upgrade, but something that Autel did while they had it obviously fixed that problem. Go figure ....

Can you clarify what you mean by 'cached' maps? At least for this thread, cached maps are different from Google Offline Maps. In this case, cached maps would be maps loaded to the Explorer app when you either scroll the map around to look at an area, or fly there. Those segments are 'cached' by the Explorer map and are then usable when you fly the next time. What I would like to see is the Autel app used DOWNLOADED Google Offlinle maps. Then I can download as many areas as I want with the Google Maps app, and then have Autel Explorer use them without having to reconnect to wifi or cell. At least with the last version of the app, this did not work. Even though Google used them when I turned off cellular or wifi, Autel still gave me a blank screen if I hadn't 'cached' it before I turned everything off.

LP

I used the standard Offline Maps via the Google Maps menu.
Offline Maps > Select Your Own Map > Download (selected map)
The downloaded map then appears on the Offline Maps menu. Since I typically fly in the same area every time, I only have one map saved. That map now shows up automatically on the Explorer app every time I fly in that area. I don't have to manually select it from the Offline Maps menu or take any other action. Before I sent this back to Autel, I always got a blank space with a grid even though I followed this exact same Offline Maps procedure as far as downloading and the map always appeared on the Offline Maps menu. I don't know what changed, but it works now and it didn't before.

My guess is that the Explorer app cached it the last time the phone was on wifi or cell and it has nothing to do with Google Maps. Again, that's my guess. Try force stopping the Autel app, go to Google Maps and download a totally different area, then put the phone on airplane mode and reopen the Autel app. While still in airplane mode, do you have maps of that new area in the Explorer app camera view? My guess is that you'll just see a grid in that area. That's what I get, even with the latest beta version of the Autel app. I DO however have the area I normally fly in available because the Autel app cached it.

LP

Nice little feature in the Anafi FF6 App is this. Autel could make something like this for explorer App.

That IS nice...and nice little way to control and formalize caching. That said, I still don't now why it would be so hard for Autel or anyone else to just fallback and use downloaded Google Offline Maps. If Google Maps can do it, why can't the Explorer app?

I'm thinking more and more that I should have bought the Anafi instead of the Evo. The Anafi seems to have a ton of great useful features....

LP

That will be the definitive test: to see if I can fly somewhere else and it will automatically display the downloaded map for THAT spot, too. In the past, when I had to rely on the hotspot, I did notice that the hotspot map cached by the Explorer app did NOT survive if I shut down the Samsung tablet. The next time I flew, I always got the blank grid, instead, and had to fire up the hotspot. What's different now is that the cached map (or downloaded map, however you want to call it) definitely does survive shutdown of the tablet and comes right back up again without using the hotspot. I don't even take the hotspot with me when I fly anymore.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
That IS nice...and nice little way to control and formalize caching. That said, I still don't now why it would be so hard for Autel or anyone else to just fallback and use downloaded Google Offline Maps. If Google Maps can do it, why can't the Explorer app?

I'm thinking more and more that I should have bought the Anafi instead of the Evo. The Anafi seems to have a ton of great useful features....

LP
You bought the EVO for great video. And yes the Anafi has some great features but also has some not so great features.
I wonder if it has to do with Autel having the rights to google maps in their App?

Reactions: LeafPeeper
That will be the definitive test: to see if I can fly somewhere else and it will automatically display the downloaded map for THAT spot, too. In the past, when I had to rely on the hotspot, I did notice that the hotspot map cached by the Explorer app did NOT survive if I shut down the Samsung tablet. The next time I flew, I always got the blank grid, instead, and had to fire up the hotspot. What's different now is that the cached map (or downloaded map, however you want to call it) definitely does survive shutdown of the tablet and comes right back up again without using the hotspot. I don't even take the hotspot with me when I fly anymore.

Yeah - Autel said that is supposed to happen now (it's supposed to store the cached map so it's there the next time you fly). That may indeed be a recent app improvement. You can try the test I referenced above without even flying. Just do it with our phone and app and don't even turn on the Evo. After going back into the Explorer app after downloading the Google Map, just keep wifi and cell off and slide to the new area in the Explorer camera view.

LP

You bought the EVO for great video. And yes the Anafi has some great features but also has some not so great features.
I wonder if it has to do with Autel having the rights to google maps in their App?

Possibly. Definitely not my area of expertise. Maybe the Maps SDK simply doesn't allow it.

LP

OK I just got a 5.5 crystal sky which works great however it does cache the maps with Litchi and DJI go but not Autel. I am hooked up to my phone or to wifi but no map data. Anyone know a trick here?

I've never gotten it to work. It doesn't cache maps for me at all. I gave up and got another SIM card for my flying phone.

LP

I got the maps to work - Installed google play services and google play along with google maps. Switch maps to google maps on in explorer. I do get an occasional notice the google play services has stopped however it does not affect the operation and the maps show up perfectly. I also installed Litchi for my DJI drones and that works great also however you have to buy it from Amazon for another $24

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t