Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

No map detail

Stevenss

Reaction score
Hi i am using a galaxy s8 with no data. When I out I get jo map details. Like in hybrid buildings etc don't show up. If I'm indoors and have wifi the map shows OK. Not sure what that's happening.

It's obviously not going to show the maps because you don't have a data plan. Are you able to download the map offline?

Reactions: Ansia
What I do is open the Explorer app and check out the area I want to fly in the maps. I leave the app running in the background and as soon as I get there, the map is cached in the device. I fly with an iPhone 6S with no sim card installed.

Edit: even if you dont fly with maps at the time, since the drone logs GPS coordinates, when you review your flight logs, it will load the map of where you flew. Only time I have needed maps on an actual flight has been when I do autonomous flights, which the Evo does not do.

Reactions: macoman
I leave the app running in the background
That should not be necessary!
I use an ASUS tablet with my EVO and I download maps of areas I plan to fly while I am at home over my WiFi connection. When I fire up the EVO and tablet when I reach a place I planned to fly, the maps pop up automatically. Unfortunately, I am unable to cache maps on my CrystalSky tablet/monitor because DJI has crippled the ability to log into my Google account with the CrystalSky!!!

That should not be necessary!
I use an ASUS tablet with my EVO and I download maps of areas I plan to fly while I am at home over my WiFi connection. When I fire up the EVO and tablet when I reach a place I planned to fly, the maps pop up automatically. Unfortunately, I am unable to cache maps on my CrystalSky tablet/monitor because DJI has crippled the ability to log into my Google account with the CrystalSky!!!
So you must have Google Maps with an account activated for this to work? Perhaps that is why it doesnt work with me. I have Google nothing installed in that iPhone.

So you must have Google Maps with an account activated for this to work?
Yes, so it seems to me. When I fire up Google Maps on my ASUS, Offline Maps shows up under settings and clearly, I am logged into Google Maps when I am on my WiFi. The Google Maps accounts has been added to my ASUS so, apparently, I am automatically logged in. The CrystalSky has no place for me to add accounts and even though I was able to side load Google Maps (along with three other required apps) the CrystalSky would not allow me to log in to Google Maps and I could find no way to add that account to the CrystalSky.

It may be that this works differently on an iPhone, I don't know.

Reactions: Ansia
Not working for me.... Google maps finds my location just fine offline. Autel Explorer = blank. I am logged into Google Maps when I do this. Does Explorer need to be logged in as well, and using the same email address maybe?

LP

Not working for me....
Sorry, I do not know why this is the case for you. To reiterate:
I log into Google Maps over my wireless connection while I am @ home
In Maps, I locate the area I wish to download (using search if need be)
I then tap the three dots to bring up a menu and I select "Download Offline Map"
I zoom into the level I want to save and then tap "Download"
Later, when I get to the actual site and I start Explorer, it finds the map on my device without any intervention from me. Of course I have location Services enabled on my tablet before I start Explorer in the field ... there is no logging in to anything because I am in the sticks with only wifi and no cellular connection.

I think the bigger question now is why does it work for you and apparently nobody else. What version of Android is your ASUS running? I just got off a chat with Autel, and they confirmed that this shouldn't work. The told me the only way to cache maps is to go to the site in Explorer while connected and let it cache itself, then you can go offline.

LP

I think the bigger question now is why does it work for you and apparently nobody else. What version of Android is your ASUS running? I just got off a chat with Autel, and they confirmed that this shouldn't work. The told me the only way to cache maps is to go to the site in Explorer while connected and let it cache itself, then you can go offline.

LP
I believe "caching" map data is different from what M. Gauthier is suggesting. He (and I, for whom this works perfectly) actually download map data to our device (tablet, in my case), and the Explorer app uses the saved data. To do this: While in Google maps select OFFLINE MAPS and follow the instructions regarding defining the map area to be saved and saving the data to your device. You must repeat this process every 30 days, but its easy, free, and totally obviates the need for wireless (phone or WIFI) connections in the field.

Good luck...

WayneH

That is precisely what I am saying does not work for me - on either of the two android phones I've tried. Autel support also said it should not work. Their response was that caching is the way that works - ie: going into Explorer while connected to wifi and navigating to where you plan to fly, then going offline. I don't want to use caching - I want to use offline maps. I don't know why it is so difficult for drone companies to understand that we want to fly offline. DJI Go has the same issue - offline map functionality is intermittent.

What version of the app are you using? What version of android?

You must repeat this process every 30 days,
Yes, each map expires after 30 days but you can "refresh" them without having to redefine them. I actually refresh four or five at a time in the background.
What version of the app are you using? What version of android?
Explorer = v1.01.19 Android = 4.4.2 on the TF701 and 7.0 on the ZenPad (neither of which is visable for me in the bright sunlight)

Using Explorer to cache maps without some kind of search function seems like a real pain in the *** . . . to do it with the DJI Go program sucks also.
The way the maps come up in Explorer made me think that the program "knew" where the offline maps were stored on the device

Last edited:
Ok - I'll dig up an older android device and give it a shot. It doesn't work with any of my android 6, 7 or 8 devices. Let's see how 4.4.2 does...

EDIT: No luck on my 4.4.2 device either. Not sure what the recipe is, but so far it hasn't worked on any of my devices.

LP

Last edited:
No luck on my 4.4.2 device either
Damn, now you are making me wonder if it still works on my rig. I moved to the CrystalSky UHB monitor because the ASUSs were not bright enough.
Also, you are making me wonder if caching through the Explorer app as you suggested on my CrystalSky tablet will give me maps there. I will have to experiment with that after I address "magnetic interference" problem.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
Would be interested to know how you make out. I'm really bummed. One of the reasons I moved to Autel was the crappy reliability of the offline map capability with my DJI drones. I had read that Google maps worked fine with the Evo, and I was looking forward to one less headache.

LP

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58