Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Nighttime flying in the US.

Tom Z

Reaction score
I am a little confused on the FAA rules of nighttime flying. Hopefully someone here can clear things up for me.

The FAA rules are completely clear when flying as part of 107 commercially.

Flying is only allowed 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes prior to sunrise assuming your drone has lights, etc. (one can apply for waivers).

What is not exactly clear to me is flying at night as a hobbyist. I have not found any evidence that flying at night as a hobbyist is illegal and not allowed.

Anyone with more experience and knowledge want to give me some needed info?

thanks

Tom

I'm also interested in this topic. I've yet to read anything specifically stating no night flights, only that you must maintain visual line-of-sight which I am able to do better at night due to the LED lights than during the day.

You are correct, "line-of-sight" is the only requirement I have been able to confirm. Looking and searching all over the web and can't find anything saying no flying at night as hobbyist.

Reactions: john.kieffer
Flying at night as a hobby with a craft under .55 pounds with no registration needed seems to me not problematic, as long as the operator stays under 400 feet and out of controlled airspace and the usual FAA suggested areas and situations. With a registered craft above .55 pounds, especially with an FAA certification, I don't think I would try it without a waiver.

you would need a licence and it would have to be registered before it would be considered ILLEGAL not sure what the FAA has as far as authority over man and woman they could make recommendations to the municipality for charges but at best a fine and not sure anyone has paid any fines Im not saying be a jerk and be unsafe , use your head keep it in line of site play safe =)

Flying at night as a hobby with a craft under .55 pounds with no registration needed seems to me not problematic, as long as the operator stays under 400 feet and out of controlled airspace and the usual FAA suggested areas and situations. With a registered craft above .55 pounds, especially with an FAA certification, I don't think I would try it without a waiver.

That is the thing though, there doesn't seem to anything making it illegal even with over .55 pounds and even for someone having a FAA certification as long as you fly as a hobbyist not as commercial.

I have found zero information on the FAA website saying that I can't fly at night as a hobbyist. I did pass my part 107 exam and have in my possession now the license card, but at the beginning most of my flying is going to be as a hobbyist. I am not looking to do any commercial work until spring.

Reactions: Delta Blue
I think the FAA is still floundering around trying to figure what to do about this massive blossoming of the UAV (otherwise known as drones) market. Whodda thunk it would become SO popular and spread SO fast?

Living in Nevada, I pretty much do what I want, doing nothing stupid or placing man nor beast in peril. Ha. ;)

Reactions: Delta Blue

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58