Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Nano+ issues - gimbal/camera, LR/rotate, HDR resets.

TedV2010

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello fellow drone pilots,

I just purchased and received my Autel Nano+ drone. I do have some previous hobbyist level drone experience and also have a larger scale DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. It's too large to travel far with and the video quality is not up to current standards, otherwise, it flies great and is flawless operationally. I watched several videos on the Nano+ and realize it has some flaws and bugs to work out but it seemed with each firmware update these were getting addressed. I still expected it to work fairly well out of the box for $1049.00 (bundle package with extra batts, props, bag). I unpacked it, updated the app and firmware to the most current version available on 7/29/22. I even purchased the extra care warranty as I plan to use it to take footage of my boat and it will be near water.

I proceeded to calibrate the gimball, compass, and imu. After a couple tries, everything seemed to calibrate fine. I noticed the camera gimball faces down though. The gimball seems to work overall but it always faces down. The only time is faces forward is when it calibrates. Also, the gimbal control on the controller does nothing after multiple attempts.

I performed a test flight and it took off fine, however it only moved forwards and backwards, up and down. It will not go left or right, nor rotate at all. I am on Mode 2 for stick mode. I kept it around 10-12 feet to avoid a runaway since I could only go forwards and backwards. The GPS locked and I had the "safe" green flight indicator. I took a short video clip of the ascent and descent and the video looks great, although my phone did not record any audio even though I have the setting selected to do so. Also, the HDR setting would not stay highlighted after being selected multiple times. No PRO mode appears on the video/camera choices either. Maybe that has been deleted from the current firmware version (not sure).

I safely landed and performed another imu and compass calibration but that did not change anything regarding the directional issues I mentioned previously. The camera just will not face forward either.

For $1049.00 I am very disappointed (not just slightly, lol). I appreciate the lack of no-fly zones from Autel and the overall video imagery is great (from only a downwards angle). I want to like the drone, features, and app but unless I am missing something (some settings perhaps) I think I have a defective model.

Any advice is welcome. I have reviewed this forum and see some owners have had the same issues. I find Youtube is a great resource too on Nano+ reviews and advice. I have a small Youtube channel with less than a 1,000 subscribers at this point but wanted to use the drone to add aerial footage to my content. I also have a vacation planned for St. Thomas VI in the winter and really wanted to bring this 249gram mini drone with me, however I cannot recommend this model or Autel unless things improve.

Thanks,
T

P.S. I use a Android Note 10+ with the controller. It is a 64bit and seems to work fine with the controller and app software, so besides it not recording any audio, it does not seem to be the stem of these issues.

Hello fellow drone pilots,

I just purchased and received my Autel Nano+ drone. I do have some previous hobbyist level drone experience and also have a larger scale DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. It's too large to travel far with and the video quality is not up to current standards, otherwise, it flies great and is flawless operationally. I watched several videos on the Nano+ and realize it has some flaws and bugs to work out but it seemed with each firmware update these were getting addressed. I still expected it to work fairly well out of the box for $1049.00 (bundle package with extra batts, props, bag). I unpacked it, updated the app and firmware to the most current version available on 7/29/22. I even purchased the extra care warranty as I plan to use it to take footage of my boat and it will be near water.

I proceeded to calibrate the gimball, compass, and imu. After a couple tries, everything seemed to calibrate fine. I noticed the camera gimball faces down though. The gimball seems to work overall but it always faces down. The only time is faces forward is when it calibrates. Also, the gimbal control on the controller does nothing after multiple attempts.

I performed a test flight and it took off fine, however it only moved forwards and backwards, up and down. It will not go left or right, nor rotate at all. I am on Mode 2 for stick mode. I kept it around 10-12 feet to avoid a runaway since I could only go forwards and backwards. The GPS locked and I had the "safe" green flight indicator. I took a short video clip of the ascent and descent and the video looks great, although my phone did not record any audio even though I have the setting selected to do so. Also, the HDR setting would not stay highlighted after being selected multiple times. No PRO mode appears on the video/camera choices either. Maybe that has been deleted from the current firmware version (not sure).

I safely landed and performed another imu and compass calibration but that did not change anything regarding the directional issues I mentioned previously. The camera just will not face forward either.

For $1049.00 I am very disappointed (not just slightly, lol). I appreciate the lack of no-

fly zones from Autel and the overall video imagery is great (from only a downwards angle). I want to like the drone, features, and app but unless I am missing something (some settings perhaps) I think I have a defective model.

Any advice is welcome. I have reviewed this forum and see some owners have had the same issues. I find Youtube is a great resource too on Nano+ reviews and advice. I have a small Youtube channel with less than a 1,000 subscribers at this point but wanted to use the drone to add aerial footage to my content. I also have a vacation planned for St. Thomas VI in the winter and really wanted to bring this 249gram mini drone with me, however I cannot recommend this model or Autel unless things improve.

Thanks,
T

P.S. I use a Android Note 10+ with the controller. It is a 64bit and seems to work fine with the controller and app software, so besides it not recording any audio, it does not seem to be the stem of these issues.
Did you calibrate the actual remote? There is also a quick setting to flip the gimbal between 0&90 that you can set on the left trigger. Left and right should work regardless of obstacle avoidance - thats actually what i use to cheat my way closer to something without shutting down avoidance so its gotta be your gimbal calibrations..

HDR... Every time you land they figure to save power, they disable it.. I thought it was a bug but its written there in the tips guild in the app. You have to take off then turn on hdr then go about your business... Sux... Others have the same gripe even with other settings - why lock it out or reset any... I want one setting i like. Deploy and shoot. Land. Swap batteries. Deploy and shoot. Repeat.

Did you calibrate the actual remote? There is also a quick setting to flip the gimbal between 0&90 that you can set on the left trigger. Left and right should work regardless of obstacle avoidance - thats actually what i use to cheat my way closer to something without shutting down avoidance so its gotta be your gimbal calibrations..

HDR... Every time you land they figure to save power, they disable it.. I thought it was a bug but its written there in the tips guild in the app. You have to take off then turn on hdr then go about your business... Sux... Others have the same gripe even with other settings - why lock it out or reset any... I want one setting i like. Deploy and shoot. Land. Swap batteries. Deploy and shoot. Repeat.
Similar problem and returned the Nano+, and new one flew fine. Autel all ears to have QC problems?

Reactions: Joe DiMauro

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58