Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

My EVO became a dangerous YoYo

swings16

Reaction score
Had the good fortune to go upstate NY...140 miles North of NYC and stay for 3 days

My main motivation in going was to be able to fly with Mountains as a backdrop and huge open areas of NYS land by the thousands of acres

Late afternoon yesterday...my last flight of the trip,i encountered a very odd and SCARY situation with my EVO

I was flying over a huge field with mountains as part of the scenery and i also tried something that i had never done before

I walked and flew at the same time along a deserted,MIDDLE OF NOWHERE gravel road adjacent to the field

Streams and rock formations along the route as i had the Evo fly 15 ft. ahead of me staying in pace with me

I veered off (so very nervously) and flew along a stream that was along the side of the road i was flying over

Battery was getting low...25%...and i turned back towards my car /home base still at 5 feet above the ground

Suddenly the EVO ZOOMS up + DOWN !

I was shocked and panicked...i pushed the controls DOWN...it DID go down but sprung up instantly

up + Down..yoyo fashion and all i want to do is STOP it and shut it down

I finally was able to land it and shut it down

it had 20% of power left and my heart was in my mouth

COULD it be that the trees that i was flying under (9/10 ? or so feet above me) got into a too close ABOVE and too close BELOW scenario that the built in sensors thought was TOO close to obstacles..i.e. The low trees and the ground below and going into an avoidance mode due to the sensors seemingly reacting to what it felt was too close to the trees and the ground...and the YoYo affect that i encountered

ANY thoughts ? Any and all comments welcomed...I THANK YOU ..ALL,,,in advance

Martin...NYC

At least it didnt fly in a continuous circle almost hitting you a dozen times before landing. My XSP did just that, and CS had to replace the main board.

At least it didnt fly in a continuous circle almost hitting you a dozen times before landing. My XSP did just that, and CS had to replace the main board.

Sheesh...weird ,scary and f'd up

I was in fear of being hit...sorry to hear of that happening to you

It could hurt someone,BADLY...The EYES

If it happened when i was flying high up it would have been a goner and could have hurt someone on the ground

I hope that IF it was reacting to the sensors (too close to the ground or to the trees) it would be a relief but i do think it was a glitch within the EVO

Thanks for your reaction

Yep, mine was flying around like a 25-foot circle, so I had to keep jumping and running to stay out of it's way. I was so happy once it finally landed, but the fellers over at CS took good care of me. They got it fixed in a jippy, and sent it right back. One more month and my warranty would have been expired. I've only flown once or twice since the repair; that was last March.

Yep, mine was flying around like a 25-foot circle, so I had to keep jumping and running to stay out of it's way. I was so happy once it finally landed, but the fellers over at CS took good care of me. They got it fixed in a jippy, and sent it right back. One more month and my warranty would have been expired. I've only flown once or twice since the repair; that was last March.

YIKES Frightening for sure

I just got off with their customer help line

Said i should give it a short series of flights

IF it occurs again or if it is off they said to send it to them and it would be taken care of

Hopefully all will work out in my favor

Thanks xspwhite

Mine was actually in a small accident a couple weeks before hand, and they wanted me to send it back right away, but I said no, but i finally gave in, and Im glad I did. I never would have thought the main board would have been bad.

I did as i was told...i am just back now from a 20 minute flight...NO problems (except the wind which was rocking)

It performed well and as it should

BUT

From day 1 the controller has not performed as it should

Hold to start and go home..Never worked and still does not ..Hold to take off and land...NOT working

The toggles work as they should...ALL ups/downs/sideways...all properly working

I must always manually shut it down

Theses are things that i can live with but it still bugs me

I get an INVALID ENTRY when using the controller for anything other than toggling/speed/left right etc.

I am STILL ok with it BUT it does come up and bug me

So far i have flown WITHOUT a Tablet or Phone..Could THAT be part of the problem ?

I have heard that there is a built in VIDEO feed (a little one) on the controller...WHERE is it and how can i access it ?

Thanks All...Still digging the Evo

Did you send those same questions over to CS? If you are having problems, it's best to get them taken care of while still under warranty.

Reactions: swings16
Interesting...I'm glad your Evo survived that madness! I would immediately re-install the firmware manually to the craft, the controller, and each battery, then see how everything works. If that doesn't fix the issues with the bird and controller, id send it in for repair. You are flying at a disadvantage missing those features on the RC. They are nice features to have and may eventually save your bacon while flying.

Interesting...I'm glad your Evo survived that madness! I would immediately re-install the firmware manually to the craft, the controller, and each battery, then see how everything works. If that doesn't fix the issues with the bird and controller, id send it in for repair. You are flying at a disadvantage missing those features on the RC. They are nice features to have and may eventually save your bacon while flying.

I would like to take your suggestion and DO IT...BUT

HOW do i Re-install the firmware manually on the EVO AND The controller AND the batteries ?

I am a newbie virgin flyer...i also fly a Mavic pro

Can you give me..or SHOW me where to go to reinstall all as you have suggested

Sounds simple enough but i honestly do not know HOW to do all that you suggested

The RETURN to home feature is a GREAT one...i have used it often with the MP..i would like very much to have the same with my Evo

Thanks for any help you can give me regarding this...it may just be what i need

THANK YOU...

Martin/Swings16...NYC

I did as i was told...i am just back now from a 20 minute flight...NO problems (except the wind which was rocking)

It performed well and as it should

BUT

From day 1 the controller has not performed as it should

Hold to start and go home..Never worked and still does not ..Hold to take off and land...NOT working

The toggles work as they should...ALL ups/downs/sideways...all properly working

I must always manually shut it down

Theses are things that i can live with but it still bugs me

I get an INVALID ENTRY when using the controller for anything other than toggling/speed/left right etc.

I am STILL ok with it BUT it does come up and bug me

So far i have flown WITHOUT a Tablet or Phone..Could THAT be part of the problem ?

I have heard that there is a built in VIDEO feed (a little one) on the controller...WHERE is it and how can i access it ?

Thanks All...Still digging the Evo

There is a small "DISP" button on the top right corner outside edge of the controller. That button will start your live camera display.
As far as the other stuff, It took me a few minutes to launch mine for the first time. All the buttons give the the same "invalid entry" response when I pressed them. I looked it up and seen that crossing the sticks at the bottom works for launching. I've been using that ever since.

Reactions: swings16
That's exactly what i was thinking. I've seen myself do it.

Thanks guys but i still had 20% of power left...there was no low battery warning

I will try AGAIN to Manually install the firmware

If it all doesn't work out i will send BOTH the Controller + the EVO back

I LOVE the Evo...it has BALLS and i have been putting up with the glitchy stuff and focusing on the superior video and power and control of this machine
BUT i am missing out...getting the Evo off the ground should be a 123 thing...it is not...i have to toggle up and back and sideways for it to start and often it craps out if i don't (manually) keep the props going (using the toggles)

It never worked properly out of the box and i put up with all the problems and once up in the air all was forgotten

Thanks Flyaholic and Bulldog and xsp and all others who have taken the time to help...To be continued !

Martin

Sounds like a low battery warning initiated RTH and you fought it into landing.

Thanks UnRanged ...but the battery was at 20%...is that too low ? Would that have contributed to the Evo becoming like a Kangaroo ?

There is a small "DISP" button on the top right corner outside edge of the controller. That button will start your live camera display.
As far as the other stuff, It took me a few minutes to launch mine for the first time. All the buttons give the the same "invalid entry" response when I pressed them. I looked it up and seen that crossing the sticks at the bottom works for launching. I've been using that ever since.

Ahh...YES...i see the DISP button...i had heard that it had the capability but was looking on the top of the controller and i now see where it is located thanks to YOU

GREAT...Thank you so very much

i hear that it is minimal BUT it beats having none at all (live vid feed)

So..Flyaholic...Your controller gives you an INVALID ENTRY every time like me ? (when trying to launch ?)

What the ?

Confusing and puzzling

at least i have learned of the capability within the controller to have the live feed

NO FLY day today...30 mph ..Gusts to 60 MPH...my windows are rattling and my hi rise apartment building is swaying

Happy to be home

Thanks ALL

Sounds like a low battery warning initiated RTH and you fought it into landing.
DITTO: I agree with your assessment above because it happened to me. I fought it off by pushing the descending toggle switch until battery was low that it had to land where I wanted it but I believe the land switch would override flight pattern. Right ?

DITTO: I agree with your assessment above because it happened to me. I fought it off by pushing the descending toggle switch until battery was low that it had to land where I wanted it but I believe the land switch would override flight pattern. Right ?
[/QU

Sounds plausible ..POSSIBLE..BUT

From day 1 my controller works the toggles only

it will not LAUNCH from the command

Will not RTH

It only works when i want to go up/down/sideways

ALL of the other functions DO NOT WORK

also...20% power is considered extremely LOW on battery power ?

i knew that it WAS low but 20% ? Is that considered a no no ?

Thanks All

Thanks UnRanged ...but the battery was at 20%...is that too low ? Would that have contributed to the Evo becoming like a Kangaroo ?

I had a very similar incident. Made some beeps then went all RTH on me. Up and down all the way back until it forced landed at 18%... it was trying to reach it's RTH height,a and I fought it because, well because I panicked some.. But I had started with a battery that had been flown previously, had it on ludicrous and thought the beeping was from radar seeing trees along the edge of my flight path... Too much going on to blame it all on the bird. I think we could all speculate as to what happened but I haven't been able to duplicate the problem and have no real desire to replicate that situation again.

Hold the Pause (ll) button for what seems like an eternity and it will stop what it's doing and hover... Unless it's dying, then it will land no matter what you do.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo