Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Mission Upload Error - Beyond Safe Distance

michael2002

Reaction score
I created a fairly large polygon mission, about 200 acres. Knowing that Autel Explorer supports multi-battery missions, I didn't think this would be an issue. The mission would have been about 3 hours. When I went to upload it, it said something like "beyond safe distance, unable to start". I have never seen that error before. I continued to get the error until I reduced it to about 1/6 of its sized around 30 minutes.

Has anyone seen this error?
Does anyone know exactly what this error is? Is it based on battery or distance away from the controller?

I really wish that Autel would step up and come up with comprehensive documentation on its mission planner app and improve it. I am mostly going to be doing mapping and this is key. If I continue to have trouble with it, I am going to have to switch to a DJI model. I don't want to do that.

Reactions: TheGoldBug
I created a fairly large polygon mission, about 200 acres. Knowing that Autel Explorer supports multi-battery missions, I didn't think this would be an issue. The mission would have been about 3 hours. When I went to upload it, it said something like "beyond safe distance, unable to start". I have never seen that error before. I continued to get the error until I reduced it to about 1/6 of its sized around 30 minutes.

Has anyone seen this error?
Does anyone know exactly what this error is? Is it based on battery or distance away from the controller?

I really wish that Autel would step up and come up with comprehensive documentation on its mission planner app and improve it. I am mostly going to be doing mapping and this is key. If I continue to have trouble with it, I am going to have to switch to a DJI model. I don't want to do that.
Interesting error, what was the furthest point away from your home/to/rth location? What do you have your aircraft max distance settings at? Are you using newest fw/sw or older version?

I receive the same message, "Beyond Safe Distance, Unable to Start" due to a similar but different situation and now my aircraft is stuck in that mode. I started surveying a multiple battery mission and left the site once I ran out of batteries. Since this is a new aircraft for me, I completed the work I was hired to do with my DJI aircraft, but wanted to try the EVO II and learn the system. So, since collecting the whole field was not critical I left the site.

Now, when I try to fly any other mission, I receive the "Beyond Safe Distance, Unable to Start" message. It is as if the aircraft is trying to continue the previous mission, even though I've created other Poly missions and loaded their flight plans. I've tried reboots, deleted the mission which I did not complete, flew the drone manually, updated the firmware, but still receive this message. I interpret this message meaning the drone thinks it has to fly 250 miles to the place it paused the previous mission before it can resume any other Poly mission.

Has anyone ran into this and does anyone know a work around?

I receive the same message, "Beyond Safe Distance, Unable to Start" due to a similar but different situation and now my aircraft is stuck in that mode. I started surveying a multiple battery mission and left the site once I ran out of batteries. Since this is a new aircraft for me, I completed the work I was hired to do with my DJI aircraft, but wanted to try the EVO II and learn the system. So, since collecting the whole field was not critical I left the site.

Now, when I try to fly any other mission, I receive the "Beyond Safe Distance, Unable to Start" message. It is as if the aircraft is trying to continue the previous mission, even though I've created other Poly missions and loaded their flight plans. I've tried reboots, deleted the mission which I did not complete, flew the drone manually, updated the firmware, but still receive this message. I interpret this message meaning the drone thinks it has to fly 250 miles to the place it paused the previous mission before it can resume any other Poly mission.

Has anyone ran into this and does anyone know a work around?
Hello, Yes I figure out that you will get this message if you have the "Distance Limit" turned on in the Flight Control settings and the mission takes you farther than this set limit. If you turn this off then you will not get this message.

However, this means that you may be going beyond the safe distance that Autel has established. You will likely be out of VLOS and you could potentially lose contact with the drone, if you do lose contact, the drone will either fly home or proceed (depends on what your settings are).

Thanks, that's what I figured was going on. I definitely don't want to disable the safety feature Autel has put in there with the Distance Limit. So it seems like the resumption point is stuck in the aircraft's memory and no matter what mission is loaded, the aircraft is trying to navigate to the resumption point even if it is 200 miles away. Looks like we need to figure out a work around to clear that memory allocation, or Autel needs to update the firmware to fix the glitch.

Ah I see what you mean by that. You could try to launch from a location that is closer to the resumption point. However, if there obstacles along the path, then the elevation difference (if any) may be an issue.

The mission functionality of the Autel Explorer app is ok, but it certainly could use some improvement IMO.

Agreed Michael. I would go back to that location and try just what you said, however, it is quite a drive for me, so it's hard to fit into the schedule. Hopefully someone has ran into the same issue and found a workaround. I hope Autel monitors these comments as well to help them prioritize the fixes to the glitches.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dajofa