Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Mini DJI Drone Perhaps?

Jagerbomb52

Reaction score
Screenshot 2019-08-10 18.44.25.png

some would call it the Mavic Mini or the Spark 2. This is the image of the prototype model. You can see that it is unfinished since the 3D modelling plastic and exposed wires are visible. Motors are brushless and smaller than the Parrot Anafi motors. Battery is a new shape, most likely a 2S due to size. Possibly 20 min flight time. Range of 100 meters due to WiFi and quality of your phone. With a controller it would have maybe 1000 meter range. Arms are foldable which means the drone will be larger than the Tello but smaller than the Spark (approx 6.5 inches long). For this size the weight would have to come in at 249 grams (just a guess). Camera actually has a gimbal, and it appears to be 2 axis. I would expect 4K resolution but no camera adjustment features. Micro SD card in rear. Sensors on the bottom for height/landing/indoor flight. I see holes for forward sensors, but I did not notice front senors in the photos. Included charger is an inexpensive USB wall unit which means the price of the drone will be in the range of $249 without controller and $349 with controller/fly more (this is just another guess). If you want all the photos, click on this link and they will automatically download. Tell me what you think?

https://t.co/JAgWLlknVr?amp=1

DJI’s Mavic Mini drone will cost $399 and have a 4k camera
The DJI Mavic Mini will reportedly weigh 350 grams and have a diagonal length of 270 millimeters, making it 100 grams over the FAA‘s 250-gram limit, which is really unfortunate. Staying below the 250 grams would have made this drone a lot more interesting for many people.

Reactions: Tufargon
DJI’s Mavic Mini drone will cost $399 and have a 4k camera
The DJI Mavic Mini will reportedly weigh 350 grams and have a diagonal length of 270 millimeters, making it 100 grams over the FAA‘s 250-gram limit, which is really unfortunate. Staying below the 250 grams would have made this drone a lot more interesting for many people.

Just because it will cost $399 for a 4k DJI product is enough to get a lot of sales!

DroneDJ has doubled down on the authenticity of the specs, including the 245g. We'll have to wait and see. 245g would make it the best camera drone not requiring FAA pilot registration, unless for commercial use!

DroneDJ has doubled down on the authenticity of the specs, including the 245g. We'll have to wait and see. 245g would make it the best camera drone not requiring FAA pilot registration, unless for commercial use!
That is an interesting argument you brought there. I will have to ask the FAA about that and make a thread if it requires registration for commercial, even if it doesn't meet the 250g.

Reactions: G_G
That is an interesting argument you brought there. I will have to ask the FAA about that and make a thread if it requires registration for commercial, even if it doesn't meet the 250g.
The CommercialPilots discussion over the Tello came to the conclusion that even a Tello would require registration if used commercially. However, it isn't really their decision. ;)

Last edited:
The way it would work here in Canada with our new rules that came out on June 1st is like this. Even a operator with just a Basic certificate can charge for work as long as he or she follows all the rules laid out for Basic operation or Advanced depending on which one they have. The micro drone (under 250 grams) can be used and does not need registration but cannot be used for advanced operations as it has not passed the RPAS Safety Assurance rating system. Commercial work no longer falls under one or the other (Basic or Advanced) but depending on which certificate you have will determine which rules you need to follow.

Basic operations
If you meet all 3 of these conditions, you're conducting basic operations:

You fly it in uncontrolled airspace
You fly it more than 30 metres (100 feet) horizontally from bystanders
You never fly it over bystanders

Advanced operations
If you meet any 1 of these conditions, you are conducting advanced operations:

You want to fly in controlled airspace
You want to fly over bystanders
You want to fly within 30 metres (100 feet) of bystanders (measured horizontally)

Micro drones (under 250 grams) and drones that weigh more than 25 kilograms do not fall into the basic or advanced operations categories. If you have a micro drone, you must never put people or aircraft in danger. Only fly your drone where you can see it. Always fly responsibly.

If your drone weighs over 25 kilograms or you want to fly outside the rules, you will need to get special permission from Transport Canada before you fly.

I just texted my local FSDO and currently waiting for a reply. According to the rules, only all drones that weight 250g to 55lbs require registration with the FAA. Above that has to be registered as a normal aircraft, but anything below 250g does not require registration. I have yet to read anywhere within the FAA about requiring registration if used for commercial.

What @Agustine bring about not being able to be used for commercial, since they are not registered is a possibility. It will be answered at some point. Hopefully today.

In our Canadian rules I did not say it cannot be used for commercial use. It just does not fit in to the approved UAV list but you still need to use it responsibly. It is a grey area as you could get yourself into trouble flying it in controlled air space and not acting responsible. LOl

Kind of like your Recreation rules. Read this over. I don't even think a lawyer can figure this one out. It is confusing. Congress wrote and the prez signed a law that short-term bans non-107 recreational flying because you can't comply with all the subsections. The FAA didn't like that result so it made up this interim policy to sort of comply with portions of the law but not ground non-107 recreational flying while it got a test together, etc. The FAA says 101 will be withdrawn because the Special Rule was repealed but it hasn't done it yet that I'm aware. So it's a confusing situation for non-107 hobbyists.

Reactions: G_G and Ansia
Here is my local FSDO's reply on the subject.

"I understand that for commercial use and you will join Drone Zone under 107, it would be wise to register it for insurance reasons and thus be covered. As for the Mavic that is rumored ... I don't take it into account for being only speculative since the means lend themselves to that. A very important fact is the fact that the FAA does not regulate the closed space. These ships with that weight are recommended for places with little or no wind. I also understand that indoors in confined spaces they do not have GPS or proximity sensors."

I am still talking with him. Will post if he mentions something of worth for us.

So in the end, the FAA recommends that you register your drone.

Last edited:
Can't find the original CommercialPilots thread I was looking for, but here is another similar one.
No real conclusion reached, except by inference.
I would focus on the Tello with your local FSDO, since it already exists.

Reactions: Ansia
Can't find the original CommercialPilots thread I was looking for, but here is another similar one.
No real conclusion reached, except by inference.
I would focus on the Tello with your local FSDO, since it already exists.
Already have. Technically I don't have to, but it is highly recommended was their answer.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo