Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Meet the EVO!!! Autel's new bird!!

Another thing, i like to see my ship in the air. I'll bet that new typhoon will really show up high in the sky!

Isn't AR a Chinese company? Is anyone really that shocked with the slight of hand? How many cell calls do I get in a week from people with an Asian accent posing as something they are not? How many times do you hear a question rapidly followed with an "okay"? I'm sorry if offends anyone but you have to call it what it is. We just been boondoggled by the slimmest country on the planet!!

"I agree. Also, Autel is NOT a small startup company. Their future in the drone market won't even cause a small ripple in their financial success or security."

Right on!! That's why we got what what we did!! They can throw F-You money at something, not knowing if it will succeed or not, at the consumers expense and nothing seems to regulate that. It's BS that's allowed, but then again how would you regulate that?

Fascinating how some people feel like Autel was out to get them. Unreal. It sucks the cameras didn't happen and it's unfortunate that some people planned their lives around that but this was not a grand scheme perpetrated by Autel, as some of you would have us believe. Their only product was held up in a legal battle brought by DJI to stymy it's competition....business 101. It's future was uncertain, they had to move on! What's so hard to comprehend?

XSP is 2+ years old. You'd have a new camera flying on old technology. This is why I'm not sold on modular camera systems.

Fascinating how some people feel like Autel was out to get them. Unreal. It sucks the cameras didn't happen and it's unfortunate that some people planned their lives around that but this was not a grand scheme perpetrated by Autel, as some of you would have us believe. Their only product was held up in a legal battle brought by DJI to stymy it's competition....business 101. It's future was uncertain, they had to move on! What's so hard to comprehend?

XSP is 2+ years old. You'd have a new camera flying on old technology. This is why I'm not sold on modular camera systems.

I stopped holding my breath for the camera attachments a while ago. What I am most disappointed about is that they completely brushed aside all of their previously conveyed intentions for better cameras attached anything. They have targeted a completely different market segment with the Evo, it looks like a lifestyle product for the selfie generation, totally designed to be idiot proof in order to apeal to the lowest common denominator. What do you mean "Their only product was held up in a legal battle brought by DJI"??? You forgot about of their previously displayed products at CES 2017 like the new controller with built in tab, 360 degree cams, 1" sensor attachments and that awesome looking foldable landing gear drone. Also the X-star was released onto the market in march 2016 and was sold unchanged apart from firmware revisions since then. Can you please clarify what you are referring to? The Evo is simply following in the footsteps of DJI and releasing an Idiot proof mavic with a 1/2.3" sensor.

... You forgot about of their previously displayed products at CES 2017 like the new controller with built in tab, 360 degree cams, 1" sensor attachments and that awesome looking foldable landing gear drone. ....
Is CES often used by manufacturers to display their research projects & sense the market with their prototypes?

I wonder how often preliminary models displayed there are never retailed.

Reactions: Tommy Molnar
I stopped holding my breath for the camera attachments a while ago. What I am most disappointed about is that they completely brushed aside all of their previously conveyed intentions for better cameras attached anything. They have targeted a completely different market segment with the Evo, it looks like a lifestyle product for the selfie generation, totally designed to be idiot proof in order to apeal to the lowest common denominator. What do you mean "Their only product was held up in a legal battle brought by DJI"??? You forgot about of their previously displayed products at CES 2017 like the new controller with built in tab, 360 degree cams, 1" sensor attachments and that awesome looking foldable landing gear drone. Also the X-star was released onto the market in march 2016 and was sold unchanged apart from firmware revisions since then. Can you please clarify what you are referring to? The Evo is simply following in the footsteps of DJI and releasing an Idiot proof mavic with a 1/2.3" sensor.

I did not forget about their concept items from last year, those just never made it to market or were available for purchase so there's no point in discussing what-ifs. The XSP is/was the only product on the market by Autel Robotics available for purchase, aside from Kestrel which is not even in the same category. That's what I mean when I said their only product for sell to us was held up in a court battle brought by DJI to stymy competition. There were only two paths Autel could have gone and I believe they chose the correct one to move forward.

Point being, if they clung to the XSP (again, only product they sell) while fighting the legal battle Autel Robotics would not survive and go out of business, then all the XSP owners would be ultra butt-hurt crying about how their drones have gone the way of the 3DR. Autel has moved on to the next iteration which makes complete business sense. If people are so upset by this and would've rather seen them go down in flames, and are done with Autel, then there are other options available to them. It is what it is.

Is CES often used by manufacturers to display their research projects & sense the market with their prototypes?

I wonder how often preliminary models displayed there are never retailed.

I totally enjoy being baited by Autel. First when buying a supposedly modular drone and promised future cameras as a damned selling point, then being teased with no less than potentially 4 new products, all the while enduring 16 months to sort out proper firmware and finally switched with Evo, a travel sized toy drone with essentially the same sensor as old x-star but only this time in 60FPS (wow). Ahh the good ole bait-and-switch.

Everyone loves a good ole fashion bait-and-switch

I did not forget about their concept items from last year, those just never made it to market or were available for purchase so there's no point in discussing what-ifs.

What? why? they could have easily brought any one of their previously shown products to the market but didn't.

The XSP is/was the only product on the market by Autel Robotics available for purchase, aside from Kestrel which is not even in the same category. That's what I mean when I said their only product for sell to us was held up in a court battle brought by DJI to stymy competition. There were only two paths Autel could have gone and I believe they chose the correct one to move forward.

Are you telling me it took 22 months to cease production and remove X-star from the market due to some supposed court battle? Did this supposed court battle also mean all of those previously displayed products from CES 2017 also suddenly stopped development for some reason? Autel only ever released the X-star Wifi and X-star premium and they where quietly discontinued. Please provide some info, sources or links in relation to these court battles.

Point being, if they clung to the XSP (again, only product they sell) while fighting the legal battle Autel Robotics would not survive and go out of business, then all the XSP owners would be ultra butt-hurt crying about how their drones have gone the way of the 3DR. Autel has moved on to the next iteration which makes complete business sense.
But as XSP owners, our drones are effectively extinct. You sound like you are a fanboy, whereas I just want a decent 1" sensor drone with 20mp for photo and video and as a result will be making my next purchase with a different manufacturer. I have no brand loyalty. Autel had 0 credibility when they started out and I bought and X-star based on the already aforementioned such as modular camera setup but also quality. I made the best purchase for my needs at the time.

If people are so upset by this and would've rather seen them go down in flames, and are done with Autel, then there are other options available to them. It is what it is.
I couldn't care less if Autel goes down in flames, I am not into blindly following a brand like some kind of lemming but I will be most certainly looking at different options to suit my needs.

Some had other reasons for buying into Autel. I just got tired of the flying my Yuneec products that never got updated simple because it went as far as it could with updates. Autel had some light at the end of the tunnel for me with the promise of the SDK and 3rd party Apps. My main reason for flying UAV's is for video and photos and I was very happy with the XSP's camera. Knowing I could be doing a lot more with 3rd party Apps was my biggest disappointment with this announcement that the APK will not be released. I know a developer who was very interested in exploring mapping and other options. He applied when Autel first launched it on their website only to have no emails back from Autel so he said I am not wasting my time and moved on. To bad he did wonders for Yuneec's Typhoon H when it first came out and could have brought Autel to the forefront as a leader for commercial users.
I really don't care Autel went this route with a new product but they need to save some grace and get that APK out to the developers so the XSP can live on like the 3DR solo is.

The EVO here in Canada will cost me around 1300 bucks. I have spent more on a Nikon camera and lenses that sits in the camera bag for months on end so spending 1300 on a flying camera I would use every 2nd or 3rd day should not bother me but I can wait and see just how this EVO plays out. When they have a release date will it be on time. How many updates will it need to correct problems and how fast these updates come out will all make my final decision on buying one.
Until then I am just as happy flying the X-Star :)

ATVIS, You nailed it man!!!! I fully agree with what you said & expressed. My next move will be elsewhere also. There is no reason what so ever to discontinue the production of the x-star premium & the possibility of additions to the platform, there is so much more they could have done. I don't want a toy drone, i like my full size MAN drone!
OC, with all due respect, I think it would be reasonable to wait until we start seeing results from the EVO before writing it off as a "toy". I've been involved with photography for a long time, and while I believe the "heavier is steadier" concept used to be valid, I just don't think that applies to a machine like the EVO that is using sophisticated electronics to achieve stabilization through incredibly fast compensating movements, much like a VR lens. The point of the whole drone excersize is to get a camera in the air, and if the delivery method to achieve that is smaller, lighter and more compact than what we're used to, I think that's a good thing. I'm really looking forward to seeing some results before passing judgement, I think the new lens with the narrower field of view promises to have much less distortion and hopefully flatten out those curved horizon lines we've all been accepting with the XSP.

Some had other reasons for buying into Autel. I just got tired of the flying my Yuneec products that never got updated simple because it went as far as it could with updates. Autel had some light at the end of the tunnel for me with the promise of the SDK and 3rd party Apps. My main reason for flying UAV's is for video and photos and I was very happy with the XSP's camera. Knowing I could be doing a lot more with 3rd party Apps was my biggest disappointment with this announcement that the APK will not be released. I know a developer who was very interested in exploring mapping and other options. He applied when Autel first launched it on their website only to have no emails back from Autel so he said I am not wasting my time and moved on. To bad he did wonders for Yuneec's Typhoon H when it first came out and could have brought Autel to the forefront as a leader for commercial users.
I really don't care Autel went this route with a new product but they need to save some grace and get that APK out to the developers so the XSP can live on like the 3DR solo is.

The EVO here in Canada will cost me around 1300 bucks. I have spent more on a Nikon camera and lenses that sits in the camera bag for months on end so spending 1300 on a flying camera I would use every 2nd or 3rd day should not bother me but I can wait and see just how this EVO plays out. When they have a release date will it be on time. How many updates will it need to correct problems and how fast these updates come out will all make my final decision on buying one.
Until then I am just as happy flying the X-Star :)
Agustine, pretty much the same thing I was going to say, but as usual we are often typing at the same time!

OC, with all due respect, I think it would be reasonable to wait until we start seeing results from the EVO before writing it off as a "toy". I've been involved with photography for a long time, and while I believe the "heavier is steadier" concept used to be valid, I just don't think that applies to a machine like the EVO that is using sophisticated electronics to achieve stabilization through incredibly fast compensating movements, much like a VR lens. The point of the whole drone excersize is to get a camera in the air, and if the delivery method to achieve that is smaller, lighter and more compact than what we're used to, I think that's a good thing. I'm really looking forward to seeing some results before passing judgement, I think the new lens with the narrower field of view promises to have much less distortion and hopefully flatten out those curved horizon lines we've all been accepting with the XSP.

Here is a Mavic versus a phantom 4 high winds as posted at Mavicpilots..

Its just physics. The Evo will not be able to overcome physics.

Here is a Mavic versus a phantom 4 high winds as posted at Mavicpilots..

Its just physics. The Evo will not be able to overcome physics.
So the guy says there is really no difference in the way they perform, which is kind of what I was getting at. Also, the EVO is not a Mavic, so I'm looking forward to similar tests with the EVO when it's available.

So the guy says there is really no difference in the way they perform, which is kind of what I was getting at. Also, the EVO is not a Mavic, so I'm looking forward to similar tests with the EVO when it's available.

This video was shot on location in a single take. He was making a judgement based on what he saw from two tiny phone screens in sunglasses while on a windy mountain and flying two drones at the same time. Anyone viewing the video after the fact can clearly see that the Mavic is less stable in high winds.

I'm going back to golf. I might shank one into the trees, but thats just a golf ball and not a $800+ Drone.

Reactions: TAMU1996
What? why? they could have easily brought any one of their previously shown products to the market but didn't.

Are you telling me it took 22 months to cease production and remove X-star from the market due to some supposed court battle? Did this supposed court battle also mean all of those previously displayed products from CES 2017 also suddenly stopped development for some reason? Autel only ever released the X-star Wifi and X-star premium and they where quietly discontinued. Please provide some info, sources or links in relation to these court battles.

But as XSP owners, our drones are effectively extinct. You sound like you are a fanboy, whereas I just want a decent 1" sensor drone with 20mp for photo and video and as a result will be making my next purchase with a different manufacturer. I have no brand loyalty. Autel had 0 credibility when they started out and I bought and X-star based on the already aforementioned such as modular camera setup but also quality. I made the best purchase for my needs at the time.

I couldn't care less if Autel goes down in flames, I am not into blindly following a brand like some kind of lemming but I will be most certainly looking at different options to suit my needs.

Unless you live on an island with no internet, it is well known that DJI sued Autel Robotics over the XSP with cease-and-desist. Do your own damn research. I am not your Google.

If you need a 20mp camera, go buy a P4A, I did. Don't wait around for a what-if then cry about it.

I love Autel and will sell my Mavic for the Evo since it should perform as good as or better than Mavic, and have the best customer service in the biz to back me up.

As you said "I couldn't care less if Autel goes down in flames" which is certainly obvious in your attitude.

Good luck to you and have a nice day!

Reactions: TAMU1996
Toyz and their boyz. I was going to ask if anyone has actually seen one fly? After last Year, I would question even the most obvious claims.

Funny story flashed across my brain cells. I was assigned to flight test some new mods for the Navy from one of their suppliers (who shall remain nameless). I spent 2 days in a windowless room with a bunch of engineers before walking out the flight line to actually see the mods as installed. My schedule was to begin flight ops in a week. I walked around the first aircraft with an entourage of engineers following like the Pied Piper. I completed my initial walk-around and asked them, "This thing flies??" "Of course, why do you ask?" Walking up to of of the engine intakes, I stuck my arm in all the way and said, "because the noise makers are missing." I walked off, called my C.O. and was immediately re-assigned.

I'm just sayin'

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bailey54