Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Meet the EVO!!! Autel's new bird!!

No no, I agree but I think it's a let down for the guys that got the XSP counting on the upgrades (like people that will do it for work). I'm not going anywhere. I love my XSP. If anything, if I can save enough I'll probably without a doubt buy the Evo.
Agreed, after my initial feelings of disappointment I came to the realization that nothing has really changed for the XSP, it's still same same bird I loved yesterday and will love tomorrow. I think the EVO looks fantastic, and the idea of having all that capability in something that will fit in a lunchbox is really exciting!

I'm of the opinion that if one buys the EVO it should be bought (we're assuming it can be at this point) on the basis of what it is today and not what we hope (expect) it may become in the future. I bought my XSP with the hope (expectation) of interchangeable cameras - I need this. Didn't and isn't going to happen. Still love the pumpkin for what it can do today, and if I do decide to go with an EVO, it will be on the basis of what Autel is bringing to the table at this point and not with a hope (expectation) of something better. (The preceding opinion has a value of exactly 2 cents.)

Reactions: bjtap
Discussion on Autels facebook page with Kenneth AR on release date: "Soon. I'm hesitant at sharing a specific date especially since many things we are waiting on are beyond our control (e.g., FCC number for the transmitter)."

Also the camera is not changeable but he has hinted and I say hinted at them selling the EVO in the future with different camera options but sold as a whole unit.

The big thing he said for me was no SDK will be released for the XSP. This one really sucks.
That really changes things with your investment in the XSP. Would it be worth it to try to mount some pressure on Autel Robotics to convince them to continue working with the XSP? We should not let them mothball the XSP that's less than 2 yrs old. This is a big gamble on their part hoping XSP owners will jump on the EVO and or banking on its new drone will grab a chunk of the market. I'm ready to let them have an ear full for doing this to their loyal customers who want and like the XSP to stay in the mix.

That really changes things with your investment in the XSP. Would it be worth it to try to mount some pressure on Autel Robotics to convince them to continue working with the XSP? We should not let them mothball the XSP that's less than 2 yrs old. This is a big gamble on their part hoping XSP owners will jump on the EVO and or banking on its new drone will grab a chunk of the market. I'm ready to let them have an ear full for doing this to their loyal customers who want and like the XSP to stay in the mix.

Don't waist your time. This is done by other companies like Yuneec. They dropped support for the Typhoon Q500\4K when the Typhoon H came out. They have now dropped support for the Typhoon H and are close to dropping support for the Typhoon 520 that just came out for the new Typhoon H Plus.

Is it just me or did Autel just screw over everyone who want, likes and invested in their XSP? If so, not so sure I can stay with them on this huge let down... it's too BIG!

Is it just me or did Autel just screw over everyone who want, likes and invested in their XSP? If so, not so sure I can stay with them on this huge let down... it's too BIG!
No problem if they want to bring new stuff to the table but gezz... continue to support your creations that brought you into the game until it at least it makes since to drop it's support... this is not the proper way to do business in any way!

No problem if they want to bring new stuff to the table but gezz... continue to support your creations that brought you into the game until it at least it makes since to drop it's support... this is not the proper way to do business in any way!
This just might turn out to be really a too bad moment for our beloved Autel

My gripe is they obviously knew well before the new reveal that they weren't going to do any more with the XSP and they only told us on the day of the new reveal. I'm sad. :(

the yuneec i
Discussion on Autels facebook page with Kenneth AR on release date: "Soon. I'm hesitant at sharing a specific date especially since many things we are waiting on are beyond our control (e.g., FCC number for the transmitter)."

Also the camera is not changeable but he has hinted and I say hinted at them selling the EVO in the future with different camera options but sold as a whole unit.

The big thing he said for me was no SDK will be released for the XSP. This one really sucks.

I am interested in suing Autel in a class action suit to release the XSP SDK, in whatever form it is in, to those XSP owners who are interested. Is anyone on this forum a lawyer who can help? Many of us bought the XSP in part for what was adamantly promised, especially the SDK. I think Autel is obliged to release the SDK for the XSP in its current form to those XSP owners who want it, otherwise compensate us. Im serious, Who is IN? Is there a lawyer in the house to file on our behalf, maybe in Washington State, otherwise I will file for us, Pro Per (in Michigan) and give it a try, though I am not a lawyer.... arto.

Based on the very positive media reports that are starting to come out from people who have actually seen and handled the EVO at CES, it is far more than a Mavic "clone" or "copy cat". Just because DJI (I think) produced the first foldable quad doesn't mean other companies can't develop their own improvements and innovations on the same concept. I've seen several comments from industry writers that the EVO may very well be the first "serious" competition for DJI - and I'm all for that! The XSP has had a terrific run as a successful drone - I don't know for sure, but nearly two years of production for single, unchanged model has got to be some kind of record. And as has been stated repeatedly, support for the XSP will continue - I'm not sure what more can be asked in an industry where many products are outdated or obsolete a few months after purchase.

After taking the time to let my emotions settle down a little, I can actually rationalize nearly every decision Autel has made. Despite their best intentions, I think they discovered that the modular concept just doesn't work when you're depending on third parties (i.e. FLIR and Sony) to make those modules successful - there are just too many things beyond your control, and I think that's why the EVO is not modular. I can understand why they would stop production of the XSP if the EVO will do everything and more at approximately the same price (within a hundred dollars or so) - there would just be no logical reason to have both products in production. I can even understand why they would delay announcing that there will be no future development of the XSP (other than firmware updates) until they announced what was going to be replacing it - I'm just not sure what other reasonable option there would be from a business standpoint.

The one thing I cannot make any sense out of is "The SDK will not be released for the XPS". If Autel isn't going to pursue any further development of the XSP, why not make that accessible to others who would have the interest and knowledge to pursue further development. I'm hoping after the dust settles they will change their mind, or at least offer a reasonable explanation for their decision.

I'm of the opinion that if one buys the EVO it should be bought (we're assuming it can be at this point) on the basis of what it is today and not what we hope (expect) it may become in the future. I bought my XSP with the hope (expectation) of interchangeable cameras - I need this. Didn't and isn't going to happen. Still love the pumpkin for what it can do today, and if I do decide to go with an EVO, it will be on the basis of what Autel is bringing to the table at this point and not with a hope (expectation) of something better. (The preceding opinion has a value of exactly 2 cents.)

If Autel would release the SDK, or make the XSP firmware and code open source, third party vendors could deciper the pinout of the gimbal and make their own gear for the XSP. I could work on a mapping app if I had the SDK. It doesnt make any sense for Autel to shelve the XSP code. Open it to the community of hackers. Thats what burns me of their abandonment announcement...I can understand not coming out with the hardware for business reasons, but they should open source XSP firmware/software to the hounds...

Hey, lets not forget EVO firmware and the procession of future firmware "updates"....WE, the community, should press Autel for the ability to ROLLBACK firmware updates on the EVO.....THAT ALONE! would make me seriously consider the EVO. I know of NO other UAS that allows a firmware rollback or factory reset...arto

wm-4.jpg

hey look, 3 cameras on the EVO...pop and swap in a portable? now that would be a mavic killer...but alas someone already posted that these will be separate EVO models...Autel has said nothing about the camera situation, besides it being the same camera as on the XSP with "better" glass.

Might go a long ways toward "mending fences" with their existing customer base to offer something like a $200 "customer loyalty" discount off the EVO to registered XSP owners...

Reactions: TAMU1996 and bjtap
wm-4.jpg

hey look, 3 cameras on the EVO...pop and swap in a portable? now that would be a mavic killer...but alas someone already posted that these will be separate EVO models...Autel has said nothing about the camera situation, besides it being the same camera as on the XSP with "better" glass.

Or how about selling versions with different camera options so they can compete against multiple DJI lines at the same time but keeping airframe production costs down?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP51