Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Lens Flare

dronographer

Reaction score
Lens flare is common enough shooting into the sun, more so probably with a wide lens. My Fujifilm prime lenses are pretty immune, only my superwide zoom occasionally has this issue.

This is an example of several taken from f5.6 to f11, I believe this is f11, they all exhibited the same. Disappointed with the refelctions and washout, horrible image. I am wondering if one could conjure up a lightweight lens hood that would not throw off the gimbal calibration. A filter might help with the added lens coatings?

Attachments

• 66353BDF-8F7D-418D-8863-2C83B5B2331E.jpeg
    66353BDF-8F7D-418D-8863-2C83B5B2331E.jpeg
    709 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Lens flare is common enough shooting into the sun, more so probably with a wide lens. My Fujifilm prime lenses are pretty immune, only my superwide zoom occasionally has this issue.

This is an example of several taken from f5.6 to f11, I believe this is f11, they all exhibited the same. Disappointed with the refelctions and washout, horrible image. I am wondering if one could conjure up a lightweight lens hood that would not throw off the gimbal calibration. A filter might help with the added lens coatings?
I agree lens flare is horrible. Consumer camera.

My other images I am very pleased with. I wonder if the inside of the lens barrel is Matt black or they overlooked something? I did not have my M2P long enough to get similar shots.

Flare fog even with over shoulder sun. Consumer drones good for photojournalism. Not a good choice for quality photos.

• Haha
Reactions: PingSpike
I think it's mostly because these cameras are wide angle lenses. You can see a "spot" of light even in some of the DJI ads for the Mavic Air 2. That was proof to me it's more a lens type issue than a lens design issue. I would be curious though, if you would get the same thing with a polarizer?

I shoot lots of wide angle lenses, I think this ice is more susceptible. Often a filter will increase it, light bouncing back inside off the extra glass. I am thinking of a light hood. Problematic.

OK I have more flare issues, this time the sun is nit even in the image.
Interested to know what people make of it, granted the images are shot off water with high reflectivity.

The first one in the top center looks like white sand being blown off the road.

The second image the lower left has a pale orange quarter circle in the corner and at the bottom right is glare encroaching into the frame.

Attachments

• A5A080BB-6A3B-4EA3-9A35-E2CF60B78695.jpeg
    A5A080BB-6A3B-4EA3-9A35-E2CF60B78695.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 28C3AF2B-5737-4CD0-9EBB-1FF363F8C12F.jpeg
    28C3AF2B-5737-4CD0-9EBB-1FF363F8C12F.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 22

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members