Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is the evo hype gone?

On DJI drones, the NFZ info is stored inside the drone itself. So even if you use an old app on your mobile device, it will not take off. I can see this happening with the EVO as well.
Question for the DJI users. Does the app LItchi also work with NFZ?

What I am asking is that if you use the Litchi app in a NFZ area does it still let you fly your drone?

Question for the DJI users. Does the app LItchi also work with NFZ?

What I am asking is that if you use the Litchi app in a NFZ area does it still let you fly your drone?
Nope. Since the NFZ is embedded into the drone itself, the NFZ carries into Litchi as well.

A good way to stoke up the hype is by adding some killer new feature in a firmware update. To be fair, Autel have been improving the product - and I understand they are beefing up their social media presence. And I still think they should be offering a $100 discount to anyone who trades in an unloved or broken DJI drone.

There is also scope for some cash prizes for Best EVO Video and Best EVO Photograph of the year.

In fact, there's a lot of promotional stuff they could do.

I think this is the perfect time for autel robotics to really shine...i hope autel robotics can come up with really killer products or upgrade their evo with 1 inch sensor on top of the 4k 60fps.. that would be the day... we all are really on the edge now as to what autel robotics can deliver to kick the *** of the competition..

I think this is the perfect time for autel robotics to really shine...i hope autel robotics can come up with really killer products or upgrade their evo with 1 inch sensor on top of the 4k 60fps.. that would be the day... we all are really on the edge now as to what autel robotics can deliver to kick the *** of the competition..
That would mean, having to buy a new Evo. You want me to get kicked out of my house?

If it comes, I doubt the 1" sensor will improve the quality of the EVO's daytime video (which is already superior to other drones with the larger sensor). It will improve low-light video and broaden the EVO's appeal to pro photographers.

But the EVO has already benefited by DJI's decision to impose NFZs prematurely. Precisely why DJI opted to give their competitors such a massive sales boost is a mystery. Perhaps they received a sackful of compensation cash from one or more countries who needed to see compulsory NFZs in action before making them a legal requirement. Or maybe the competition regulators have quietly forced DJI to give away some market share or risk worse punishment for being a virtual monopoly.

Hopefully, by the time that playing field is levelled out, Autel will have plenty of new tricks ready to unleash because the going will get a lot tougher for the smaller players.

If it comes, I doubt the 1" sensor will improve the quality of the EVO's daytime video (which is already superior to other drones with the larger sensor). It will improve low-light video and broaden the EVO's appeal to pro photographers.

But the EVO has already benefited by DJI's decision to impose NFZs prematurely. Precisely why DJI opted to give their competitors such a massive sales boost is a mystery. Perhaps they received a sackful of compensation cash from one or more countries who needed to see compulsory NFZs in action before making them a legal requirement. Or maybe the competition regulators have quietly forced DJI to give away some market share or risk worse punishment for being a virtual monopoly.

Hopefully, by the time that playing field is levelled out, Autel will have plenty of new tricks ready to unleash because the going will get a lot tougher for the smaller players.
I believe DJI was strong armed. Every time a moron decided to violate the law, it was a DJI drone that was used as a model in the news. By owning 78% of the consumer world, it is easily to use them as the culprit drone. In my opinion, what they did is business wise, since next time another idiot goes out to lets say fly near an airport and grounding planes for a few days. DJI can say "those aren't mine. They can't fly without my authorization and I have none".

It will improve low-light video and broaden the EVO's appeal to pro photographers. this is the area autel evo needs to improve.. in low light condition as it takes a bigger sensor to really get the best image/video in low light..

Reactions: Ansia
I have an x-star premium and a phantom 4, so they will have to come up with something better than folding arms to get me to buy another drone.

I am up for NFZ. The way I see it, they are necessary to prevent stupid people from flying in places that are hazardous. What I disagree, is the fact that after I get the proper authorizations from the government agencies, I also have to ask authorization from a private company. From past experiences, if you get an inept employee who doesn't do the authorization process in time, then you are stuck with a grounded bird and an angry customer. I refuse to go through this again.

I'm all for it too as long as the "No Fly Zones" are actually "No Fly Zones". I downloaded the app B4UFly just to have a look. Nothing was correct. The distance from my house to our local airport is more than twice what was displayed. Also, another two grass strips were listed as active and they have junk cars on them that's been there for over 10 years.

I'm all for it too as long as the "No Fly Zones" are actually "No Fly Zones". I downloaded the app B4UFly just to have a look. Nothing was correct. The distance from my house to our local airport is more than twice what was displayed. Also, another two grass strips were listed as active and they have junk cars on them that's been there for over 10 years.
You downloaded the worst of the apps. One run by the goverment. Try Airmap. It is the most up to date system the FAA is using for UAS. I personally prefer DJI's bowtie grid, but meh.

I have an x-star premium and a phantom 4, so they will have to come up with something better than folding arms to get me to buy another drone.
I personally have never seen a 4k video of an XSP. So you say the video of the XSP is as good as the Evo's? Don't take it as an attack, I am just curious, since I lack this knowledge.

Compare FAA's NFZ vs DJI's. The NFZ is all that is marked as red is the restricted, you can't fly here zone. DJI's zone is more lax in my opinion. The other colors are authorization zones. Easily aquired, within seconds from LAANC. I was in a live webinar last night where they explained this in details and how to get the proper authorizations for even the restricted zones. I admit, I didn't know the correct way to unlock my Phantom and I got screwed, now I know and in the future, I will be better prepared. Just takes a little bit more planning. Still upsetting that I have to ask a chjnese company to fly in a foreing country.Screenshot_20190213-080130.jpgScreenshot_20190213-080043_AirMap.jpg

You downloaded the worst of the apps. One run by the goverment. Try Airmap. It is the most up to date system the FAA is using for UAS. I personally prefer DJI's bowtie grid, but meh.

Thanks! I'll try Airmap. I use to fly light aircraft with my friends a good bit so I know what's around here but it would be good to have an up to date map for when I go on a road trip.

I personally have never seen a 4k video of an XSP. So you say the video of the XSP is as good as the Evo's? Don't take it as an attack, I am just curious, since I lack this knowledge.

I bought an XSP a few weeks ago and weather pending... I'm going to compare the two this week.

Here is a pretty good comparison from our member Franlac. He actually had his WiFi version out on this one shoot.

Here is a pretty good comparison from our member Franlac. He actually had his WiFi version out on this one shoot.

That was a really interesting video. I have to agree with @xspwhite, to the average user (like me), there isn't much difference between the 2 cameras to merit purchasing an Evo. I have to asume that both were running at 4K 30fps and the settings in Auto. On the first footage of the bridge, the XSP was overexposed, and in the second it was the Evo. When they were flying inside the ridge, the XSP had the better lighting, but mainly that was because of the position of the sun and/or clouds in the sky.

I just got my Evo a few days ago and flew it for the first time yesterday. The video quality and overall experience was excellent. For the price point (and no NFZs) you can't beat it. Plus, Autel's customer service is great. They didn't send me a carrying bag with my drone, so I e-mailed them about it and they got one shipped ASAP. Overall I think people are either hesitant to leave DJI because it's so well established, or they simply don't know about the Evo. But once people jump ship like I did, they won't regret it.

Reactions: Madhungarian

I never shoot in 4K. My computer can't seem to play or edit it. I think we also have to remember that most people are watching these videos on their cell phones.

I never shoot in 4K. My computer can't seem to play or edit it. I think we also have to remember that most people are watching these videos on their cell phones.
I don’t know what rig you have, but my 12 year old office pc can run 4K with media player classic.

For me, the XSP has a better camera than most drones but it doesn't match the EVO. Having viewed a number of XSP clips on YT, I see a lot more noise and artifacts than I see in EVO footage.

When flying over grass for example the XSP has a tendency to posterise so that the grass becomes an almost solid block of a single colour.

But there isn't much wrong with Francis's comparison video except that the colour balance is wrong for both cameras (blue + magenta cast from the EVO and green + yellow cast from the XSP). And, as observed by Ansia, the light and exposure changes make the clips difficult to compare. They are both good though.

I originally saw the video on an old 2007 lcd monitor. Just saw it again on my HDR Samsung tablet. I now find the XSP a little bit blue and doesn't give as good definition as the Evo.Screenshot_20190213-194023_Chrome.jpg
In this one the colors show saturated in the XSP. The Evo looks more realistic.Screenshot_20190213-194101_Chrome.jpg
Same opinion as above.
Screenshot_20190213-194120_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: YuKay

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy