Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is It Possible to Hand Launch with Unsteady Hands?

PTBperegrine

Reaction score
I'm wheelchair bound and ride a 3 wheel motorcycle (Can-Am Spyder). I have always hand-launched and hand-landed my drones for the obvious reasons.
When an upgrade removed "Boat Mode", I suddenly found myself in trouble, as my hands are very unsteady. Hanging off the side of the bike to put my EVO2 Pro V1 onto the ground is extremely difficult and the close proximity to my bike has led to a couple of "Launch Crashes".
I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me how I may overcome this problem. Unfortunately it's not practical to carry a "launching board" or similar on my bike.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. 😊

Boat mode was removed because all it did was alter gimbal sensitivity. It would be good to find or create a reachable flat surface away from your body. Hand launching is still possible, but my previous thoughts on recovery also apply on launching:

Hand-catching the Evo 2 is something that is hard to recommend. While I've done it many times out of necessity, there's no way to sugarcoat it: this is a dangerous operation. Unless your location's terrain prevents safe landing or there is a strong likelihood of damage to the drone (such as a sandy beach), or an emergency is imminent, I'd strongly suggest not doing it and find a place where you can use a pad. A lanyard is virtually a requirement to perform a hand catch safely.

The props being at different levels with such a long span to the blades provides very little room for error, especially if it is windy and the drone cannot maintain a rock solid hover. You must catch it at the center of gravity and at the same time cut throttle, again use a lanyard for the RC. Make sure that your head is always lower than the position of the drone's props... Be very careful.

Reactions: PTBperegrine
Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
Boat mode was removed because all it did was alter gimbal sensitivity. It would be good to find or create a reachable flat surface away from your body. Hand launching is still possible, but my previous thoughts on recovery also apply on launching:

Hand-catching the Evo 2 is something that is hard to recommend. While I've done it many times out of necessity, there's no way to sugarcoat it: this is a dangerous operation. Unless your location's terrain prevents safe landing or there is a strong likelihood of damage to the drone (such as a sandy beach), or an emergency is imminent, I'd strongly suggest not doing it and find a place where you can use a pad. A lanyard is virtually a requirement to perform a hand catch safely.

The props being at different levels with such a long span to the blades provides very little room for error, especially if it is windy and the drone cannot maintain a rock solid hover. You must catch it at the center of gravity and at the same time cut throttle, again use a lanyard for the RC. Make sure that your head is always lower than the position of the drone's props... Be very careful.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply! 😊 Because I have no option other than hand launch and retrieve, I carefully studied exactly where the props cannot reach and grip the body there with fingertips for the launch. The landing is even simpler - I turn off landing protection when my drone is hovering 2-3 metres above my hand & rotate it to facing away from me, monitor vertical line-up via controller view. I bring it down slowly over my flat hand - no fingers raised - when it touches down on my palm, maintain the downward stick control and the motors stop within 2seconds. I have done this over 80 times, including in strong wind conditions and have never had a scratch. 😉

Last edited:
problem with boat mode it requires three hands to launch from your hand. Autel needs to add one touch button to launch from my hand. i cant pull the two sticks together and keep my hand clear the prop while holding the transmitter and drone

problem with boat mode it requires three hands to launch from your hand. Autel needs to add one touch button to launch from my hand. i cant pull the two sticks together and keep my hand clear the prop while holding the transmitter and drone
It's pretty simple if you're sitting down - one hand holding the drone, controller resting on your knee and one hand for the two sticks. Give it a try, you may be surprised. :)

i fly standing up, and move around a lot hunting shade

come autel, gimme 1 button launch from the assigned button on the tx. i dont like flying from the dirt and grass

I was under the impression that: "Firmware update 2.5.0 now allows you to take off from a non-static surface in standard mode. It just takes a few more seconds before the props will spin up as the quad is initializing sensors."

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials