Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Hand Launch or Boat Launch - Is it possible? (Maybe... with latest "Boat Mode" update)

Thanks - but I left out one critical question... what firmware version are you running?

The first few flights were with the previous to now firmware, but two flights were using the latest firmware. V1.3.46

I would be careful launching from the deck of a boat if it is at all choppy. I lost my XSP a few days ago because of a sensor glitch in the IMU. I was able to get the motors to start after maybe 5 attempts, but shortly after takeoff, it veered right and down towards the surface fast. I was trying to push up on the elevator stick to get it to climb, but that didn't help. I tried letting go of all sticks to get it to hover, but that's what made it veer off to the right. My guess is the gyro thought it was level on the deck of the boat when it was at an angle. RIP XSP

Reactions: Caribbean Dronz
So I updated my firmware today (v1.3.46) and did some more testing but not on the boat.
First, I'm still seeing the same issue that others have reported when flying with obstacle avoidance turned on. Even at 100' in the air when banking towards the west with the afternoon sun fairly low the Evo always does a hard stop in mid air. The only way to stop this is to disable obstacle avoidance.
Second, the landing issues are still occurring. By that I mean when RTH is triggered the Evo will now come down to about 4' and then stop with the warning about the environment being unsafe to land. This is even when the landing area is completely flat concrete, with our without the drone pad in place. Turning off the visual landing protection setting allows for normal landing.
Finally, the hand launch issue.... is still there. I tried numerous times to hand launch but it does not work no matter how still you try to hold the Evo. Sometimes you get the "gimbal not ready, do not fly" error but other times nothing.
I did another experiment also that does give me some hope that I may be able to boat launch. I put the drone on my landing pad and slowly dragged it across the driveway surface while trying to arm the Evo. Most of the time it did work and I could have launched. The gimbal is clearly moving slightly while this is happening and the Evo is also moving sideways as well.
If anyone can explain why it's not possible to hand launch but it is possible to launch while sliding the Evo along the ground I would REALLY appreciate it.
I'll attempt a boat launch this weekend if the weather permits.

a sortve platform using gimbal mechanisms at 4 corners to keep it level and steady against the movements of a boat?

a sortve platform using gimbal mechanisms at 4 corners to keep it level and steady against the movements of a boat?
LOL, yeah, I thought about that and also looked at some camera gimbal mounts that can do the same thing... for about $2000 ;-)
I'm hoping that Autel eventually releases a firmware upgrade that provides a hand-launch option.

I am also hoping to use the Evo from a boat eventually, so I'll be doing some hand launching testing and let you know if I come up with anything useful.

Been following this thread for a little while, hoping a solution would be found soon. I’ve had an XSP for about two years or so, it’s been fantastic! Sold it to buy an Evo. I do a ton of flights from my boat on the lake to film my daughters tubing and boarding and have had no issues launching from the sun pad. So this last weekend I made the attempt with my Evo, fearing what would happen. Note that I updated the firmware almost immediately after purchase (late April and before I knew this was an issue). Water was calm to a slight ripple, no wind. Admittedly I could see the gimbal pitch working a little to stay level, so the boat was moving, but very slight. I’ve certainly launched from far worse with the XSP. and just like everyone else I got the “Gimbal Not Ready”, yet not every time I tried to start. Several power cycles, several different config changes, no go. One thing that day I did note was, just after I plugged my phone into the controller with the app running I did get notified of a new firmware on the home screen. I dismissed it, wanting to fly. Honestly I can’t tell you right now what firmware I have in it or what this “new” firmware would be, but I’ll prolly load it up tomorrow (if I have time) hoping once again a fix has been pushed. This is a HUGE bummer and if I had known about this I’d have either not updated or just kept my XSP. The only reason I got an Evo is because the XSP in its hard case takes up a ton of space in my 21’ runabout and I love how the Evo packs up in a camera case. But the majority reason I bought a quad was for filming out on the lake, and now I can’t. Is there a petition happening that any of you are aware of to Autel to get a fix for this? If so let me know, I’m in!

No petition that I know of but I did open a support ticket last year on the issue and others who can't hand-launch or boat launch should do the same. Interesting timing on this last response because I had the drone in the Bahamas this weekend and I was able to take off from the bow of my boat... after numerous failed attempts when I was getting the "Gimbal not ready, do not fly" message. I think I restarted the Evo at least 5 times until I finally was able to start the props spinning. It was flat calm too and there were no boat wakes - we were in a protected cove with very little wind.
I am running the latest firmware but this problem has been occurring with all the previous versions too so I'm not sure anything has changed there as it relates to this problem.

So I reached out to Autel Support via online and currently have an “Open” ticket, #113815. We’ll see where this goes, but of course it’ll take more than just two or three of us to really push a change of firmware. My guess is this is a byproduct of the gimbal roll issue they attempted to resolve with the current firmware. Enough people complained about that to get a change, hopefully this can, too.

Received an email reply from Tech Support:

“Thank you for reaching out. As the EVO is currently, if the IMU does detect any movement on its take off spot, it will not allow you take off as it deems it an unsafe environment. This is something our development team is aware of and are very actively looking into at this time! We appreciate you reaching out to us, please let me know if you have any other questions. Have a wonderful weekend!”

So it seems they may be working on this, no news there. Hopefully a fix is soon.

I would like to be able to hand launch my Evo for shots on the water of boats. I tried this last week from the deck of the boat and I was unable to arm the aircraft. I contacted Evo support to ask about this and so far have not had a response other than "...try turning off obstacle avoidance and downward vision positioning". That did not work. I was even unable to hand launch from the yard while trying to hold the aircraft as steady as possible. This is even after letting the Evo calibrate itself on level ground.
One of the main reasons I purchased this drone was to take shots on the water and so far that's a no-go.
If anyone knows the procedure to hand launch please advise.
BTW... hand catch on landing is not a problem.
Thanks!
Yes I have launched from a boat but in fairly clam conditions. Wished I had know this before buying. Like the pictures and video and the stability of videos. I find that as soon as the drone moves more than two inches up and down it will not let you engage operation. I use it for training and teaching sailing which is hard when trying to launch from a vessel in much wind. There is not a way to disable this to allow inigagement. Landing is not a problem even on a moving surface. I have take off from a 14x14 inch area under a Bimini and flown it out throw a 18 inch path between the lines and back but had to catch the beginning at a moment when water is calmer. Hard to do often.

Yes I have launched from a boat but in fairly clam conditions. Wished I had know this before buying. Like the pictures and video and the stability of videos. I find that as soon as the drone moves more than two inches up and down it will not let you engage operation. I use it for training and teaching sailing which is hard when trying to launch from a vessel in much wind. There is not a way to disable this to allow inigagement. Landing is not a problem even on a moving surface. I have take off from a 14x14 inch area under a Bimini and flown it out throw a 18 inch path between the lines and back but had to catch the beginning at a moment when water is calmer. Hard to do often.
In the new update there is a "boat mode" which will allow you to now launch from a boat.

The latest beta firmware and the mobile app supporting "Boat Mode" was released almost a month ago now but they are still in beta. I'll install both and test once they are released as production software.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d