Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is EVO2 usable with Pix4D or Dronedeploy?

Autel marketed the original Evo for 3d modeling, then just stopped. Video is still out there. Can’t fly grid missions which is crazy....after all of these years they still have not added it. The app is still phone only, not optimized for an iPad. Maybe the Android folks have better luck. I have so many great ideas for their product....even a monthly subscription for some things. For modeling, you MUST fly a grid, plus obliques, etc, It’s a shame after all of these years they don’t support anything worthwhile. From my last conversation with DD, Pix and Maps Made Easy....Maps is definitely not supporting the Evo 2. Waiting on the other two to reply....I will post when I get an answer

Support as in compatibility with the Capture app? Or simply adding the lens profile? Lens profile should be there very soon. Capture will take some time, but with the rate of adoption of the EVO II, the market will require Pix4D to fully support the EVO II lineup.
I'll be impressed if they actually do add the EVO2 to the capture app. It relies not only on Autel providing SDK, but perceived market & profit in ROI.

IF, that does occur that's a positive sign and competition would motivate other 3rd Party adding platform. Like MapsMadeEasy app!

Hopefully that occurs, I'm a bit less optimistic in the reality.

I'll be impressed if they actually do add the EVO2 to the capture app. It relies not only on Autel providing SDK, but perceived market & profit in ROI.

IF, that does occur that's a positive sign and competition would motivate other 3rd Party adding platform. Like MapsMadeEasy app!

Hopefully that occurs, I'm a bit less optimistic in the reality.
Maps Made Easy is not supporting Autel. They made that very clear. Like you said, they need an ROI. Autel makes great drones and has great customer service, but their app sucks and a commercial business cannot wait around for them to get their act together. They could be such a great company and compete if they just refined what they have instead of half-assing everything.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Maps Made Easy is not supporting Autel. They made that very clear. Like you said, they need an ROI. Autel makes great drones and has great customer service, but their app sucks and a commercial business cannot wait around for them to get their act together. They could be such a great company and compete if they just refined what they have instead of half-assing everything.
I'd agree MME won't respond, they have zero interest currently and zero optimism the EVO2 will gain enough traction to require consideration. I'll be surprised if Pix4D will react too. Autel needs to "sell themselves" to Developers and they previously did the opposite with the EVO.

There survival is dependent on 3rd party tool (Apps). I am consistently stunned when a company brings out a great product and hasn't worked during development with 3rd Party Developers... when their greatest competition repeatedly shows that methodology works.

That all said, it'd be great if they succeed for both themselves and to increase competitive development.

All great feedback folks. The hardware is only as good as the software ecosystem around it. That is, if the manufacturer hasn't developed their software to the extent that users and the market demands. We're going to continue to hammer this home with the Autel team.

I'd agree MME won't respond, they have zero interest currently and zero optimism the EVO2 will gain enough traction to require consideration. I'll be surprised if Pix4D will react too. Autel needs to "sell themselves" to Developers and they previously did the opposite with the EVO.

There survival is dependent on 3rd party tool (Apps). I am consistently stunned when a company brings out a great product and hasn't worked during development with 3rd Party Developers... when their greatest competition repeatedly shows that methodology works.

That all said, it'd be great if they succeed for both themselves and to increase competitive development.
We've been praying for this for approximately 4 years and when Autel finally released the SDK the developers just didn't want to participate. They (Autel) said they were going to release it for the XSP but it took about 6 months (I'm guessing) after the release of the EVO 1 before they released any SDK and that was mainly for the EVO because the XSP was far beyond what anyone wanted to work with by that time.

Good morning everyone! Here are the replies from Drone Deploy and Pix4D stating they have no plans to support the EVO 2. We thought it would be the case. Autel always drops the ball when it comes to this. It has been years and they still haven’t updated their own mission planning software with a simple grid for 3d modeling, which they actually advertised during the original Evo launch. It’s a real shame, but it is what it is. They really can’t be used in a commercial business. The workflows just aren’t there. Pix4D may work using a different acquisition process, but there are still issues with workflows. Hope this helps!

I have no brand loyalty and would love for Autel to get these issues resolved. It will be quite interesting to see what happens now that Autel won their infringement lawsuit against DJI. We heard you may no longer be able to buy a Mavic (except Air 2) after July 1 In the USA. They are also going after the Phantom and Inspire drones. It will be very interesting to see what Autel winds up doing.....

See replies below:

Hello,

At this time, we do not have plans to support the Evo 2. I encourage you to look over our article Recommended Drones for further information on the best drones for 3D Modeling.

DroneDeploy provides support for our customers on the Free Explorer plan through the following channels:
  • Support Center:
    Contains a multitude of articles and videos on all things DroneDeploy. It’s likely that the answer to your questions can be found there.
  • The DroneDeploy Forum: Search past questions and answers posted by other DroneDeploy users. If you are unable to search and find an answer, just post your very own question and our community and DroneDeploy representative will respond.
  • DroneDeploy User Webinars: DroneDeploy provides webinars for our user community. These webinars review various subjects related to drones and DroneDeploy. Check out: drones in construction, drones in agriculture, scaling drone operations and our beginner and intermediate drone mapping clinics.
Thank you for your inquiry.

Happy Flying!
Danielle
DroneDeploy Support

————————————

Marco (Pix4D) (Pix4D)

May 18, 2020, 1:14:38 PM GMT+2

Hi,

No plan to support Autel Evo 2 on Pix4Dcapture. You can use their own app for automated flight.
The P4P gives better results.

Marco Verdon | Technical Support Engineer

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 1585
Here is another interesting reply from Autel....it is the complete opposite reply from DD and Pix:

Hello Mike,

Thanks for following up! We are currently working with DroneDeploy and Pix4D to examine possible cross platform collaboration. I do not have any updates regarding that at this time, but it is something we're working to explore!

Best,

Taylor B.

Customer Support Representative
[email protected]
AUTEL ROBOTICS
www.AutelRobotics.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

That response goes right back to the old X-Star days. Same Poop Different pile.
When DD & Pix reply they are not interested because they need a return on their money then Autel is in dreamland again.

Reactions: Tufargon
That response goes right back to the old X-Star days. Same Poop Different pile.
When DD & Pix reply they are not interested because they need a return on their money then Autel is in dreamland again.
Exactly. I sent another email to Autel to question why they are saying one thing and DD and Pix are saying the opposite:

Hello Mike,

I'm unable to provide any further details in the ongoing discussions we're having with these companies and compatibility with our devices. When we have any updates regarding compatibility the announcements will be made to our website and social media platforms.

Best,

Taylor B.

Customer Support Representative
[email protected]
AUTEL ROBOTICS
www.AutelRobotics.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube

I have the 2 Pro and have tested in for my mapping. It works okay but there is an issue. When making a turn to go down another line the drone essentially stops pauses for what seems like a minute and then turns in to the next line to continue with taking photos. This is using the Autel app. I did not see any kind of setting to change this. There is zero reason for the drone to do this. I have talked with Autel and they said we will forward this to there people. What it does is wastes a bunch of time when that time could be used to map more acres. When using my inspire or P4P there is a turn in and next line right away. So I think its just going to be a tweak with the app folks but who knows when that will happen. The map turned out great. And they need EXPO on the bank also. Can't make nice coordinated turns like I can with that other product.. Should be an easy fix so lets get going Autel or I am returning this thing.

I have the 2 Pro and have tested in for my mapping. It works okay but there is an issue. When making a turn to go down another line the drone essentially stops pauses for what seems like a minute and then turns in to the next line to continue with taking photos. This is using the Autel app. I did not see any kind of setting to change this. There is zero reason for the drone to do this. I have talked with Autel and they said we will forward this to there people. What it does is wastes a bunch of time when that time could be used to map more acres. When using my inspire or P4P there is a turn in and next line right away. So I think its just going to be a tweak with the app folks but who knows when that will happen. The map turned out great. And they need EXPO on the bank also. Can't make nice coordinated turns like I can with that other product.. Should be an easy fix so lets get going Autel or I am returning this thing.
I can relate, but oddly with an Inspire 2 using GSP2, DJI's own SW product and platform. The MME is the fastest with an I2 or any DJI platform... nonstop, Pix4D a bit slower and has a stop & turn then Go, and the GSP2 app literally stops, processes, turns, aligns, processes, then begins moving again... consuming what feels like 15 seconds hanging at each endpoint.

Just sharing Autel's software is not the sole program with this oddit... even DJI canned product performs similar. Wasted time & batteries!

Last edited:
Why not do the mission manually? You can adjust accordinly mid flight to your needs.

For @koss1000 reasons may be different, although for myself and the majority that use, subscribe or purchase autonomous collective apps to collect images for survey, agriculture or 3D modeling... the obvious response is consistency within image collection to provide optimal and greatest accuracy in image post processing & modeling to provide Client with quality product.

The Autel app for EVO/EVO2 and hopefully others to be offered for Autel will provide multiple options for autonomous flights.

Visual perspective changes across the survey zone from the PIC’s location. Autonomous collective apps developed to improve the accuracy of flight, consistency of overlap and orientation of the images, and optimize the flight.

Manual is an option, as example due to tall cranes on some sites, and the discovery that practically all mapping apps don’t utilize OA during a mapping mission. I have manually flown several under cranes and what appears to be evenly spaced and straight lines. When processing images and seeing the images placed above model, the manual flight is much more inconsistent both in overlap and linear flight paths, especially if performing a double grid. Add in a multi angle polynomial field with uneven terrain... Increases the inconsistency and often increases the flight time and introduces additional speed fluctuation.

The manual mission will still provide results, but it may include additional photos with extreme overlap, and other areas thin overlap. Consistency in overlap, cruise speed, elimination of multiple end row photos while turning & positioning, maintaining accuracy in winds... goal is overall optimal collection of images and manual doesn’t provide the same level as precise autonomous flight.

Incidently, Not a Autel benefit; the GSP2 is the only one that I’ve found that allows placing points with sUAV manually around objects such as crane and then creating a flight mission within zone, and the best I’ve seen handle multiple batteries missions for Non-Autel platform.

I’ll need to Explore the Autel app, overall sounds like it has potential.

Why not do the mission manually? You can adjust accordinly mid flight to your needs.
Running a mapping mission manually? Maybe you don't have much experince in mapping but you need autonomous for proper mapping. I know of no one in the business doing manual mapping lol. Anyhow it doesn't matter I have decided to return it. I don't have time to mess with a product that is more geared to real estate photographers.

Running a mapping mission manually? Maybe you don't have much experince in mapping but you need autonomous for proper mapping. I know of no one in the business doing manual mapping lol. Anyhow it doesn't matter I have decided to return it. I don't have time to mess with a product that is more geared to real estate photographers.
Well, you just met your first manual mission mapper. I do photogrammetry at least twice a week. Although I do not do 100 acre plots of land, I have found that I can get better results when flying manual.

Well, you just met your first manual mission mapper. I do photogrammetry at least twice a week. Although I do not do 100 acre plots of land, I have found that I can get better results when flying manual.
Manual is very doable... and can be acceptable depending on images, altitude, and requirements. Often manual is higher number of photos, making up the difference in flight control. I’ve gone manual as mentioned, more for task on hand (Under cranes during foundation work). Although end product is effected, but that too is a variable of project needs... if craft & conditions are good, autonomous mission should consistently produce better results of images and quality when taking into account linear path, stable speed, wind, etc... all variables a program can normally adjust faster than manual / visual.

A 2D NadIr collection with ample overlap can have high degree of tolerance of uneven or irregular photos. Even with uneven rows or gaps with high altitude and overlap the results can be useable for some projects. Bring altitude down much lower, increase mission size, irregular shape, Ag crop of very little difference in 100’s of photos or GCP requirements provide the advantages of autonomous missions.

If project includes the requirement to include Stereophotogrammetry for 3D modeling that includes vertical structures (new construction), consistant overlap providing a high number of alignment points for mesh is greatly improved with autonomous missions of multiple altitudes & angles. Although, adding hand taken photos can improve difficult capture points under object or near ground.

Performing a manual 4 level, 360 collection of a house can have acceptable outcome. Attempting the same on a city block size structure, wouldn’t without autonomous flight.

Personally, I like autonomous and often experiment with collection & processing. Process only the even photos, every 3rd, or 4th. Examine plot image to compare adequate results.

Flying manual on a UAV with GPS enabled isn’t difficult and is great practice too when you may need to collect images manually. But I’ll use autonomous programs when able.

Reactions: Dave.mp4
We can confirm that image sets from the EVO II are most definitely compatible with Pix4D Mapper. Mapper is camera agnostic. Pix4D folks are aware that the lens profile needs to be added, so for now you have to manually input the camera parameters.

Pix4D Capture is not compatible as of yet, but with the SDK released we can expect there will be Capture functionality soon. The Explorer app's mission planner portion can do simple waypoints, rectangular, and polygonal missions.
Is this still true in 2022? I run the Evo II Pro w/ Pix4DMapper and do not adjust any camera settings. It currently recognizes the camera as XT705_10.6_5472X3648 (RGB).
I've noticed some inconsistencies in my volume measurements and have been trying new camera settings (linear rolling shutter setting) and flight parameters to increase accuracy (which I still have no good way of assessing).

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials