Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is EVO2 usable with Pix4D or Dronedeploy?

I completely agree with 3d modeling, it's a challenge for sure. I think they added a grid mission in the latest beta app update which is nice to see. I agree it's time consuming to set up with the current limitations, but hope they continue to make improvements to the app.

Reactions: Deleted member 1585
It is a real shame too. I have no loyalty to any brand, other than the one that can get work done. I use DJI, but would really like to try Autel. Knowing these issues exist, I can’t justify buying or using it. I just downloaded the latest app (non beta) from the Apple store and it does not have a grid mission or orbit. Instead of them trying to reinvent the wheel, it would be much more beneficial for them to start speaking with Pix4Dcapture and DroneDeploy for integrations. They really need to work on an iPad specific app and it’s a shame they do not have one. After all of these years if they were going to do it I’d assume it would have been done already. I did reach out to them for clarification. I think they are losing out on a huge market by doing things the way they are.

Reactions: DadCorso80
Same here, been on both sides of Android/IOS fence for different apps and such and have been forced to purchase a separate device exclusively for different tasks due to limitations. I think it's important for Autel to develop their own app that is capable for both Android/IOS and leave out 3rd party apps. They all play the blame game when something goes wrong because one app isn't "compatible" with the other. We have to find a work around for all of them it seems.

Have you tried the Parrot thermal or Anafi? I’m thinking about looking into one of them. I can’t use DJI products on most government jobs. It is limiting from that aspect. They do make nice products though and their app is the best one I’ve used.....maybe I’ll download the Parrot app and check it out. At least from the thermal imaging standpoint I think it could be decent.

For thermal, I would like to talk my employer into getting the EVO II Dual, it looks and sounds like it will be the real deal from the reviews I've read. We are actually adding an NIR camera sensor attachment for the M2P at work, but I am not sure if they offer a more robust thermal option. I haven't used Parrot or Anafi but there are folks on here that have I believe.

The Evo Dual does look like it will be nice. Hoping they make major updates to their app. The one for iOS is terrible, IMO.
Nice! Be interested to hear how the M2P works out for you.

This may also help clear up wrong information that is out there. The P4P does NOT have a global shutter. I don’t know where all of this bad information is coming from, but it is not correct. It has a mechanical shutter....two completely different things. The sensor still reads line by line, just like every other drone. The Autel unfortunately isn’t a good option for commercial mapping due to lack of third party integrations and lack of full mapping support from the Autel app.

I have seen some refer to the P4 as global. I've consistently stated Mechanical and up to max of 1/2000 for stills. Yes, the sensor reads line by line... pretty much any electronic sensor if sensor has standard electrical feed. But that is trivial in capture... if shutter fully opens, the sensor captures that instance... line by line isn't effecting the exposure of image on sensor... even with line by line, it's practically simultaneous... electrons move much faster than shutters. "Line by line" doesn't come close to equating the same as rolling shutter. A rolling shutter exposes a small section at a time... Much slower than a sensor's line by line.

It's simple to verify in Fact: collect nador images at a reasonably altitude, not at extreme altitude so you get good size objects in image (80-200ft) and pushed at a speed in the upper allowed exposure limit. Once for Mechancial and same speed for Rolling... look at edges, tree limbs, roof lines, window frames. Mechanical is vastly better than Rolling. In a 3D model or Ortho, look at the stitch areas, no distortion.

The Inspire 2 X4S is the exact camera on the P4P. I can use a X4S (Mech) and a X5S (Rolling) on Platform and same survey mission and clearly see the differences in distortion or skew. The X5S is a MFT upper end camera considered higher end than the X4S. Same goes for a Mavic2 Pro as X5S... and would be same for any Rolling shutter. Incidently, the very pricey 35 Full Frame X7 is also a mechanical up to 1/1000.

Now... that's not saying a rolling shutter isn't acceptable. Slow the craft down a little and images improve due to physical time difference over target. In addition, all mapping software either has a optional variable to select if rolling shutter, or most modern products read the meta data and turn on rolling shutter adjustment when applicable.

I have done 3D rendering with the Evo, ever since the Missions section came out. They turn out great. The only problem is that I use my renderings for measurement and the Evo isn't as precise as my Phantom, so I mainly use it for practice and amusement.

I have done 3D rendering with the Evo, ever since the Missions section came out. They turn out great. The only problem is that I use my renderings for measurement and the Evo isn't as precise as my Phantom, so I mainly use it for practice and amusement.
Haven't used my EVO yet... purchased last year when on a great combo price and still in box. I've been planning to get it out and experiment. Is the mission software good... comparable to ??

The EVO 2 Duo looks great to me, the only concern is autonomous mission programs and the Thermal integrated features.

I have seen some refer to the P4 as global. I've consistently stated Mechanical and up to max of 1/2000 for stills. Yes, the sensor reads line by line... pretty much any electronic sensor if sensor has standard electrical feed. But that is trivial in capture... if shutter fully opens, the sensor captures that instance... line by line isn't effecting the exposure of image on sensor... even with line by line, it's practically simultaneous... electrons move much faster than shutters. "Line by line" doesn't come close to equating the same as rolling shutter. A rolling shutter exposes a small section at a time... Much slower than a sensor's line by line.

It's simple to verify in Fact: collect nador images at a reasonably altitude, not at extreme altitude so you get good size objects in image (80-200ft) and pushed at a speed in the upper allowed exposure limit. Once for Mechancial and same speed for Rolling... look at edges, tree limbs, roof lines, window frames. Mechanical is vastly better than Rolling. In a 3D model or Ortho, look at the stitch areas, no distortion.

The Inspire 2 X4S is the exact camera on the P4P. I can use a X4S (Mech) and a X5S (Rolling) on Platform and same survey mission and clearly see the differences in distortion or skew. The X5S is a MFT upper end camera considered higher end than the X4S. Same goes for a Mavic2 Pro as X5S... and would be same for any Rolling shutter. Incidently, the very pricey 35 Full Frame X7 is also a mechanical up to 1/1000.

Now... that's not saying a rolling shutter isn't acceptable. Slow the craft down a little and images improve due to physical time difference over target. In addition, all mapping software either has a optional variable to select if rolling shutter, or most modern products read the meta data and turn on rolling shutter adjustment when applicable.
Yes, agree. There are some agencies that do not understand the difference between a global shutter and mechanical shutter. The sensor is a completely separate beast, but the way things are being communicated makes it seem they are the same, which I believe is where the confusion started.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I contacted both companies a couple months ago and they both said that they have no plans to integrate the Evo 2 into their capture apps, but that plans could change in the future if Autel releases SDK and the demand is there.

I doubt that will happen with the efficiency of the product launch, especially since the original Evo was moderately popular and had an available SDK and still there was no compatibility.

As everyone said, Evo 2 has a rolling shutter, which isn't ideal. I can't claim to know much about it, but I've heard that the Sony sensor that the pro uses is particularly fast for an electronic shutter, which could reduce (but not eliminate) distortions.

The issue is how the imagery is collected, fly a little slower and increase overlap and should be just fine. If you have ground control points, use them to tie it down and it works quite well.

Have you tried the Parrot thermal or Anafi? I’m thinking about looking into one of them. I can’t use DJI products on most government jobs. It is limiting from that aspect. They do make nice products though and their app is the best one I’ve used.....maybe I’ll download the Parrot app and check it out. At least from the thermal imaging standpoint I think it could be decent.
The Chinese Govt limitation isn't directed at DJI, it's directed at Chinese components and that currently includes about every craft; including DJI, Autel, Parrot, Skydio, Yuneec to list the popular names. DJI is the main player, and currently the primary platform in SAR, Police, FD, and several City/State survey. It was pulled from majority of Military units, majority Federal and minimal State.

Those that actually block usage of Chinese parts, don't have a similar cost or software capable platform. The Pixhawk core platforms are generally much higher cost, and not as efficient control software.

If an Entity blocks DJI and allows any of the above... it's certainly not based on rational substance, it's more political or attempting to control or limit one company over another (DJI).

The EVO2 Dual could be successful, it's a compact very capable platform. Sadly, it probably will have minimal market traction since it won't integrate with established software tools and payloads.

If the next Mavic has features of the Matrice M300... possibly offers thermal 640 Radiometric payload and continues to integrate with Police, FD and SAR specialty programs... it'll capture any market the EVO2 Dual desired to attract.

Personally, I'd like to see more USA product... most would pay 10-20% more for USA products. But 100-400% more, and not as feature rich software or ease of interface... Chineese drones retain market share.

Haven't used my EVO yet... purchased last year when on a great combo price and still in box. I've been planning to get it out and experiment. Is the mission software good... comparable to ??

The EVO 2 Duo looks great to me, the only concern is autonomous mission programs and the Thermal integrated features.
It's good enough to get the job done, if you know what you are doing.

The Chinese Govt limitation isn't directed at DJI, it's directed at Chinese components and that currently includes about every craft; including DJI, Autel, Parrot, Skydio, Yuneec to list the popular names. DJI is the main player, and currently the primary platform in SAR, Police, FD, and several City/State survey. It was pulled from majority of Military units, majority Federal and minimal State.

Those that actually block usage of Chinese parts, don't have a similar cost or software capable platform. The Pixhawk core platforms are generally much higher cost, and not as efficient control software.

If an Entity blocks DJI and allows any of the above... it's certainly not based on rational substance, it's more political or attempting to control or limit one company over another (DJI).

The EVO2 Dual could be successful, it's a compact very capable platform. Sadly, it probably will have minimal market traction since it won't integrate with established software tools and payloads.

If the next Mavic has features of the Matrice M300... possibly offers thermal 640 Radiometric payload and continues to integrate with Police, FD and SAR specialty programs... it'll capture any market the EVO2 Dual desired to attract.

Personally, I'd like to see more USA product... most would pay 10-20% more for USA products. But 100-400% more, and not as feature rich software or ease of interface... Chineese drones retain market share.
I agree. Thanks for clearing up my statement. Everything is made in China these days....****, even the shower curtain says made in China.Guess the government better get rid of their cell phones too....and everything else they own.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I agree. Thanks for clearing up my statement. Everything is made in China these days....****, even the shower curtain says made in China.Guess the government better get rid of their cell phones too....and everything else they own.
Couldn't agree more... the sUAV concern has been a bit odd to me when the use of so many other electronics remains available.

The sUAV is "possibly" online for maybe 20 minutes, intermittently through a week or month. The cellular devices are online 24x7 and N-Factor more densely populated and mobile... utilzed both indoors and outdoors by millions at any given moment. Then add in the other smart devices: TV, Computers, Tablets, Home Media devices (Alexa, Google, etc)... the possible collection connected directly to the Internet... ALL with Chinese components.

If a 15-20 min sUAV flight over aerial terrain that Google, and hundreds of other Satellite systems have already collected is considered critically compromising... then all the other devices should be extreme and yet not a concern.

I get a chuckle when someone tells me, "well the light for video is not On", they don't realize the LED is just another program variable.

Not saying Chinese isn't a concern... as a Vet, it is a "major" concern. But addressing it is a much bigger venture than media hype on drones collecting data. Then adding to the confusion; not making any media attention to "Whom" is buying the bonds on the huge Covid19 Govt asst funds... majority Buyer is China as with all the previous Bond purchases on our debts.

Reactions: Deleted member 1585
We can confirm that image sets from the EVO II are most definitely compatible with Pix4D Mapper. Mapper is camera agnostic. Pix4D folks are aware that the lens profile needs to be added, so for now you have to manually input the camera parameters.

Pix4D Capture is not compatible as of yet, but with the SDK released we can expect there will be Capture functionality soon. The Explorer app's mission planner portion can do simple waypoints, rectangular, and polygonal missions.

Reactions: Dave.mp4
We can confirm that image sets from the EVO II are most definitely compatible with Pix4D Mapper. Mapper is camera agnostic. Pix4D folks are aware that the lens profile needs to be added, so for now you have to manually input the camera parameters.

Pix4D Capture is not compatible as of yet, but with the SDK released we can expect there will be Capture functionality soon. The Explorer app's mission planner portion can do simple waypoints, rectangular, and polygonal missions.
You just said something interesting. Is Pix4D really considering including support for the Evo II?

You just said something interesting. Is Pix4D really considering including support for the Evo II?

Support as in compatibility with the Capture app? Or simply adding the lens profile? Lens profile should be there very soon. Capture will take some time, but with the rate of adoption of the EVO II, the market will require Pix4D to fully support the EVO II lineup.

Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles