Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

iPhone keeps disconnecting from Explorer App

Josh Hudman

Reaction score
I am new to drones and drone flying so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

I have the iPhone SE with iOS version 11.4, which is almost completely up to date. I only use legitimate Apple cords to connect my phone to the RC. My phone will connect and during flight or after a short time using the app, I am notified that my device is disconnected. I have also tried deleting my app and re-installing and had no luck. I have tried a friend's iPhone for a short amount of time to double-check and had no issues.

Any final ideas before I have to break down and purchase a new phone?

Last edited:
I am new to drones and drone flying so forgive me for my lack of knowledge.

I have the iPhone SE with iOS version 11.4, which is almost completely up to date. I only use legitimate Apple cords to connect my phone to the RC. My phone will connect and during flight or after a short time using the app, I am notified that my device is disconnected. I have also tried deleting my app and re-installing and had no luck. I have tried a friend's iPhone for a short amount of time to double-check and had no issues.

Any final ideas before I have to break down and purchase a new phone?

Make sure both phones have the same power saving settings, time-outs, etc. would be where I would start looking for difference --

But also know that I only deal with Android with this controller.

The phone I use with it not only will dim the screen after so long, shut down USB to save power and it will also shut down apps it deems hungry -- these learning moments came later of course when my phone started acting like the Android version of Hitler while flying, lol

So later that night did a little research, a flick of a few settings and adding a few exceptions to the various settings menus -- and the controller/app works without any interruption or annoyances. As to how well I guess is subjective. But I do not have disconnects or anything going to sleep anymore.

Worth a shot - beats shelling out cash for another IPhone ?

Is your friend's iPhone same model? The iPhone SE is a throttled down iPhone 6. Although it shows as an approved model, if your phone can't handle the processing power, it can disconnect itself from the power hungry source to protect itself. Remember that not all iPhone SEs are exacly the same. Some are faster than others, built better, etc.

As noted above, do a search about optimizing the phone for certain apps. Also, take a look at what you have running on the phone, some of that could be "choking' the phone when the Explorer app is needing it. I am not familiar with the Apple stuff so I don't know specifics but I am sure there is a way to "help" the phone run better for the app. This might include reviewing/dis-abling any open apps that might affect the explorer apps performance while flying. Although it seems that your phone is right on the cusp of being able to run the app properly, you might have some luck "streamlining" it.

Make sure both phones have the same power saving settings, time-outs, etc. would be where I would start looking for difference --

But also know that I only deal with Android with this controller.

The phone I use with it not only will dim the screen after so long, shut down USB to save power and it will also shut down apps it deems hungry -- these learning moments came later of course when my phone started acting like the Android version of Hitler while flying, lol

So later that night did a little research, a flick of a few settings and adding a few exceptions to the various settings menus -- and the controller/app works without any interruption or annoyances. As to how well I guess is subjective. But I do not have disconnects or anything going to sleep anymore.

Worth a shot - beats shelling out cash for another IPhone ?
Thank you so much, I’ll give those a try! Yeah, the last thing I care to do is overpay for another iPhone ?

Is your friend's iPhone same model? The iPhone SE is a throttled down iPhone 6. Although it shows as an approved model, if your phone can't handle the processing power, it can disconnect itself from the power hungry source to protect itself. Remember that not all iPhone SEs are exacly the same. Some are faster than others, built better, etc.
Interesting, I never even considered that. My friend’s phone is an iPhone 6 so it is a little more up to date than mine. I’d actually like to have nicer phone with a bigger screen and more processing power but sheesh they’re expensive. Thanks for the info!

As noted above, do a search about optimizing the phone for certain apps. Also, take a look at what you have running on the phone, some of that could be "choking' the phone when the Explorer app is needing it. I am not familiar with the Apple stuff so I don't know specifics but I am sure there is a way to "help" the phone run better for the app. This might include reviewing/dis-abling any open apps that might affect the explorer apps performance while flying. Although it seems that your phone is right on the cusp of being able to run the app properly, you might have some luck "streamlining" it.
Ok I will give that a try tonight. Thanks!

One thing to look at is how full the phones storage is. My IPad will do this if the storage is full. If I am at 90% capacity I will notice more apps closing then at 50%. I assume Apple has programmed some form of paging to the main storage.

Another would be to cache the map area you are flying in and disable the radios. This will keep the device from communicating and taking up horsepower.

Might want to consider a new phone soon. As android phones are Autel's preferred, consider getting a used S8/G6 for just the drone. Shoot the G6 is like $120 on Ebay.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vaseth