Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Interesting...

thomasr

Reaction score
Pilot Mountain of course is an NC state Park -- that like many do not allow drones to fly. They are one of only a few parks in the area that is actually in free air-space - go figure.

This is one of the mountains you've seen in video I've posted taken from different places I have flown. The shots of course are always showing the south side of the ridge, or in the case of Pilot - it's "knob" - as it is often referred to.

So here is a PBS video I run across about a deer population problem they are having -- yes -- I sometimes think the deer outnumber people depending on what city or town of NC you are in at any given time. LOL

I need to get into building drones instead of buying pre-made ones... the drones shown here look really nice :cool:

Here is a conversation someone had with a ranger when he was flying over a State Park. You might find it interesting or not. :)

ME: Good morning ranger, how are you today?
RANGER: Can I see your ID?
ME: not at this time, why would you want to see my ID?
ranger: because you were flying over NPS property.

ME: Why yes I was, but there's nothing illegal about that.
RANGER: You are not allowed to fly on NPS property.
ME: You are correct. That is why I am standing on a public Baltimore City sidewalk.
RANGER: That's still not allowed.
ME: incorrect. the memorandum states i cannot take off, land or operate from NPS property.

At that time, i pull out the printed 2014 memorandum, show him its from the director of NPS and the area I highlighted. I ask if he would like me to read it. He said yes. He then says over the walkie "He's flying from a public sidewalk." Another Ranger comes out in his vehicle. At this point I'm thinking that I've proved my point and this is getting ridiculous. Second ranger asks what I'm doing, i explain flying from public property according to the rule laid out by your NPS director. then...
2ND RANGER: Well you were flying out of line of sight.
ME: Incorrect, I could see my drone at all times and even regularly looked below as to not fly directly over people.
2ND RANGER: Baltimore City has an ordinance against drone and flying out of line of sight
( I have found no such ordinance)
ME: I have no knowledge of that ordinance but if they do, great, safety first and again I could see my drone at all times.
2nd Ranger: Once you go past that statue you cant see your drone
ME: Have you ever flown a drone sir?
2ND RANGER: no
ME. Then how can you tell me, a person who has been flying for 4 years that I couldn't see my drone in a clear sky with no visible obstructions. Also, that too is out of your jurisdiction as I am on city property.
2ND RANGER: Have a good day.
ME: You too, goodbye

I think it is very important that if you are flying near or over NPS property to have the memorandum with you as clear evidence of the rule. The encounter was mostly pleasant but I don't know how they would have acted if I couldnt prove their own rule right away.

? I'm figuring out just that --- how to get close but not get too close. There are a few other parks that are close and in free air-space.

I am still figuring out the rules here as the parks are all different levels of who runs what.

There is a county owned park just a little further south of the air-space I showed from Rural Hall.

I am waiting to find out for sure no one will freak out before I fly here. I don't want to be the "Genesee County Parks Commission" like poster child for my county. LOL

I don't want to wear out my welcome in Rural Hall -- as it is a small city and people can be so nosey. LoL

I am trying NOT to have one of these event's -- but it will probably be my luck along the line -- as I love the recreational part of this, minding my own business -- or trying.

I just do not want to run into one of these folks along the way

3856 Anytime you run into a person with authority -- and a firearm. No thanks... not my cup of tea. lol

Three kinds of people I try to avoid getting their attention:

Police
Park Rangers
Game Wardens

Oh:

and while flying a drone - the FAA :p

Here is a conversation someone had with a ranger when he was flying over a State Park. You might find it interesting or not. :)

ME: Good morning ranger, how are you today?
RANGER: Can I see your ID?
ME: not at this time, why would you want to see my ID?
ranger: because you were flying over NPS property.

ME: Why yes I was, but there's nothing illegal about that.
RANGER: You are not allowed to fly on NPS property.
ME: You are correct. That is why I am standing on a public Baltimore City sidewalk.
RANGER: That's still not allowed.
ME: incorrect. the memorandum states i cannot take off, land or operate from NPS property.

At that time, i pull out the printed 2014 memorandum, show him its from the director of NPS and the area I highlighted. I ask if he would like me to read it. He said yes. He then says over the walkie "He's flying from a public sidewalk." Another Ranger comes out in his vehicle. At this point I'm thinking that I've proved my point and this is getting ridiculous. Second ranger asks what I'm doing, i explain flying from public property according to the rule laid out by your NPS director. then...
2ND RANGER: Well you were flying out of line of sight.
ME: Incorrect, I could see my drone at all times and even regularly looked below as to not fly directly over people.
2ND RANGER: Baltimore City has an ordinance against drone and flying out of line of sight
( I have found no such ordinance)
ME: I have no knowledge of that ordinance but if they do, great, safety first and again I could see my drone at all times.
2nd Ranger: Once you go past that statue you cant see your drone
ME: Have you ever flown a drone sir?
2ND RANGER: no
ME. Then how can you tell me, a person who has been flying for 4 years that I couldn't see my drone in a clear sky with no visible obstructions. Also, that too is out of your jurisdiction as I am on city property.
2ND RANGER: Have a good day.
ME: You too, goodbye

I think it is very important that if you are flying near or over NPS property to have the memorandum with you as clear evidence of the rule. The encounter was mostly pleasant but I don't know how they would have acted if I couldnt prove their own rule right away.
To me it seems he played with fire. Luckily he got away with it. Not always the case.

? I'm figuring out just that --- how to get close but not get too close. There are a few other parks that are close and in free air-space.

I am still figuring out the rules here as the parks are all different levels of who runs what.

There is a county owned park just a little further south of the air-space I showed from Rural Hall.

I am waiting to find out for sure no one will freak out before I fly here. I don't want to be the "Genesee County Parks Commission" like poster child for my county. LOL

I don't want to wear out my welcome in Rural Hall -- as it is a small city and people can be so nosey. LoL

I am trying NOT to have one of these event's -- but it will probably be my luck along the line -- as I love the recreational part of this, minding my own business -- or trying.

I just do not want to run into one of these folks along the way

View attachment 3856 Anytime you run into a person with authority -- and a firearm. No thanks... not my cup of tea. lol

Three kinds of people I try to avoid getting their attention:

Police
Park Rangers
Game Wardens

Oh:

and while flying a drone - the FAA :p
So getting all 4 at the same time is like a dream come true? Ohh the goosebumps! ??

• Haha
Reactions: thomasr
So getting all 4 at the same time is like a dream come true? Ohh the goosebumps! ??

... it's 2019 -- that just up your odds to 1000% you may run into a cocky one in the bunch that is rouge... and actually get shot.

Over a drone? no thanks. lol

Reactions: Ansia
Heck! you guys are heavily regulated. He could have just as easily popped one thru the drone just to win his argument ?‍♂️?‍♂️

In Hawaii Volcano NP enforcement is super strict. If caught you pay a fine, or arrested if you give then any lip, like tourists can do. State & County parks have small signs w/paragraph of stuff nobody reads past no hunting or firearms. Near the bottom: remotely controlled vehicles prohibited.

Been caught twice on the Big Island, they just say don’t do it anymore. Evidentially, hunters use them to find Boar out of season. I was flying over 10 sq mi of jagged lava @10K feet, I found that explanation ridiculous. Nothing can walk over that — you never see people/wildlife/plantlife. That’s why the Mars Habitat is there. I kept doing it, but flew from places I could see the unarmed rangers coming on the only road from miles away.

In the SF Bay Area, the signs in County/State parks ban remotely controlled vehicles. According to B4UFly, the closest place is the coast, or Nevada, lol. In AZ, I haven’t run into any problems, I use the B4UFly map. I’ve flown over the fringe of parks from outside, but that’s it...

In SF Bay does the sign actually say "remotely controlled vehicles" that could cover a lot of other things then UAV's ?

In SF Bay does the sign actually say "remotely controlled vehicles" that could cover a lot of other things then UAV's ?
Yup, it says that....They’re just trying to keep Tesla’s from killing wildlife, humans are OK though...:)

Last edited:
Yup, it says that....They’re just trying to keep Tesla’s from killing wildlife, humans are OK though...:)

I haven’t been in the area for a few months, I was driving by the forest preserve area, so I thought I’d take a picture of the sign. It’s gone. Here is the new sign!

Last edited:
I haven’t been in the area for a few months, I was driving by the preserve area, so I thought I’d take a picture of the side. It’s gone. Here is the new sign!

My - San Mateo likes to tell you what you can and can not do huh? I agree here for example that golf courses were created for this sole purpose -- some people may not be able to pay $$$ for that recreation time. So being told what you can't do on public property with your leisure is becoming more and more of a problem in this country. Just shows you how un-happy people really are with their own lives. Some of these rules make sense -- others do not -- mainly rule #2 and #3. Just sounds like people are jealous of others and trying to hide behind a "liability" @$! lol

What exacly is chip?

Hey, at least you can fly toy balloons. Just gather 1,000 or so and release them.

What exacly is chip?

Hey, at least you can fly toy balloons. Just gather 1,000 or so and release them.

chip = putt I actually hate golf.... lol

Edit: you are right! They use every term but putt when mentioning hitting the golf ball... lol

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
My - San Mateo likes to tell you what you can and can not do huh? I agree here for example that golf courses were created for this sole purpose -- some people may not be able to pay $$$ for that recreation time. So being told what you can't do on public property with your leisure is becoming more and more of a problem in this country. Just shows you how un-happy people really are with their own lives. Some of these rules make sense -- others do not -- mainly rule #2 and #3. Just sounds like people are jealous of others and trying to hide behind a "liability" @$! lol

View attachment 3886
Hey, it’s Northern California. These rules were created by Google/Facebook-types, the true rulers of the world!

• Haha

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben648691