Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Interested customer with questions...

Good find Agustine, where do you normally Velcro it on the XSP? under or top?
In my opinion maybe under might be preferable since it might not confuse aircraft traffic as much from above but open to suggestions.

I ordered two myself. I'm thinking the same as Normex...mount under to avoid any confusion/issues. Other option is to create velcro wraps to go around opposite legs one facing in each direction so you always can see one of them no matter orientation.

I know people do this all the time, and probably most think it's no big deal. And I realize that the VLOS rules (arguably) only apply to Part 107 operators. But I truly don't understand why folks continue to fly this way. Just my opinion, but it's irresponsible. Glad to hear it wasn't even in a sparsely populated area, but right down a street and near houses. Nice. :rolleyes:

Not that I need to justify the flight for you, but you clearly weren't there. Your opinion is that, but your assumption of what the flight scenario was is incorrect, so your smart-a** response is misplaced.

Reactions: starberfarbin
VLOS of site not only applies to part 107 operators but also a hobbyist. You are limited to operating within line of sight (LOS) as referenced in Part 336 of the CFR's.

Thanks, Agustine - I stand corrected. It's been awhile since I read Section 336 as it doesn't apply to me, but now that I've re-read it, the language is pretty unambiguous.

I wouldn't let it bother you to much. Even the FAA guy that hangs out on the official facebook page (Steve Meisner) breaks ever rule out there and seems very proud that he flew his XSP out over mile the other day.

There's no doubt, enforcement is pretty non-existent so there's little preventing a flyer from doing whatever he wants other than his own ethics, consideration for non-participants safety, and concern for public perception of drone use in general. It's definitely true that we're all selective about what rules we consider important - I'm sure there's not a person on this forum who doesn't regularly speed to some degree in a car! But the other inescapable truth is that "ethics" are what you do when there's no fear of getting caught - perhaps the question becomes, "what level of ethics should we expect from hobbyists?"

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
@Agustine - got the Strobon lights this afternoon - wow, those are brighter than I thought they’d be! Will try them next time out.

@Bigbit - Mine showed up today too! There's a nice spot on the one leg that is flat and the right size...but thinking about under the rear arms...let me know where you decide.

Reactions: Bigbit
I did a quick temp stick on velcro under the two rear arms just to see what they looked like at night. I also shut off the front red led lights to see if the camera picked up any of the strobe. Camera didn't pick up anything and at my current limitation of about a half mile they are clear as can be in the night sky. I opted for the Cree versions (supposed to be a little brighter) which were a couple bucks more. I turned the XSP with the green rear led lights away from me as at a half mile they are still pretty visible and the strobes were still nicely visible. I need to figure out this distance issue I am having so I can send it out a mile and look for the strobes. Hopefully Autel replies today to my ticket. Nice suggestion Agustine!

Reactions: Bigbit

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert