Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Indoor video platform for Xstar

Flying skymaster

Reaction score
I recently watched a sUAV real estate video for a 6 million dollar house. The exterior video was great but as they carried the uav through the house you could see every step they took. I thought I could make a rolling dolly to carry a xstar to smooth out the video. It had to be easy to turn so I used 5" swivel casters . I mounted the tablet at eye level so I could watch the video stream. I made a handle to pivot it and push with. The first video looked better than I hoped for. I see some improvements in stability can be made to the base and I am going to change out the bungee cords to some Velcro and rods to reduce swinging. Right now I have $33 invested. When I finish the upgrades I will post them and some video. Let me know what you think of the attached videos

Attachments

• DSC01421.JPG
    DSC01421.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
Reactions: Delta Blue
While I applaud your ingenuity, I think something like the Osmo Mobile would be perfect for you. Small, uses the phone in your pocket and has a great app. They can be had for about $260 if you look hard enough. More than $33 but a lot more useful and portable.

Another concern is the heat generated by the quad. When it is used as intended the air streams over the body and the props move the air to cool it. In your hand or rig it doesn't get that air movement heating up the internal components.

PS - I only see a photo, no videos.

Good point ! I did not think about airflow and I wonder whether the vents/slots in the arms are for the esc's and how much cool air gets into the body. I am sure Autel did their homework on heat dissipation. I looked at the osmo today and that might be the answer.

I thought I was going to impress everyone with my flying abilities until the reflection in the glass revealed my fakery.

Attachments

• Cats in the glass.jpg
    Cats in the glass.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 26
Instead of flying the drone, he was moving it around by hand.....kinda like I was doing. Using it as a steady cam.

I wonder if the hole pattern matches the
Autel unit
The DJI Phantom and the X-Star are really close... the Phantom is 350mm or 13.7795", the X-Star is 352mm or 13.8583". I would think maybe a tiny bit of adjustment to the holes would be needed to fit this, elongate them some. Keep in mind the heat factor. Turn your quad on and let it sit around inside for a few minutes and you will feel it heat up. The cameras can get incredibly hot. I always point a small fan at my UAV's when I update them to keep them cool. Heat is the enemy of electronics. YMMV.

Thanks. I may buy one. I did ask Autel about heat and they said 15 minutes is no problems and they run much longer than that on their repair benches. I do understand heat and electronics. I run two flight simulators for a business jet manufacturer and when the airconditioning goes down, all my computers are about 30 minutes from shutdown : )

Thanks. I may buy one. I did ask Autel about heat and they said 15 minutes is no problems and they run much longer than that on their repair benches. I do understand heat and electronics. I run two flight simulators for a business jet manufacturer and when the airconditioning goes down, all my computers are about 30 minutes from shutdown : )
It would be really cool if Autel to release a handheld mount for the cam & gimbal similar to the Yuneec model...

8a2bfb193f1c10ddee0e8db668b61188.jpg

Reactions: Island Dog
Wow I like that!!! They could sell something like that quite easily depending on the price. You have to get back your R and D money though. Elcogle 3 's video using a hand carried drone is brilliant especially the way they fly it away at the end.

Reactions: Island Dog
I recently watched a sUAV real estate video for a 6 million dollar house. The exterior video was great but as they carried the uav through the house you could see every step they took. I thought I could make a rolling dolly to carry a xstar to smooth out the video. It had to be easy to turn so I used 5" swivel casters . I mounted the tablet at eye level so I could watch the video stream. I made a handle to pivot it and push with. The first video looked better than I hoped for. I see some improvements in stability can be made to the base and I am going to change out the bungee cords to some Velcro and rods to reduce swinging. Right now I have $33 invested. When I finish the upgrades I will post them and some video. Let me know what you think of the attached videos

I have tried some indoor trial video shots with my X-Star by hand-holding it with motors off. It seemed to work great. If a person practices walking a certain way without bouncing, and hunching a bit with knees bent, a lot of that identifiable walking motion can be avoided. Intentionally moving the X-Star up and down within about an inch range slowly can help to cover up the human body movements while walking and giving the video more of an aircraft feel. Also, I tried putting a large stretchy rubber band on each of the four arms of the X-Star and holding them together by my hand in the center, that acted as sort of a shock-absorber. Maybe I am thinking too small and simply, but if it works what the heck?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hippo35