Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Anyone use muse.ai for video hosting?

GeekOnTheWing

Reaction score
Website
flypart107.aero
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this as it's about a video hosting service rather than software or techniques. but it seemed the closest category. My apologies if it's mis-categorized. Please feel free to move it if so.

I opened a new account with Vimeo two days ago, and it's already annoying me to the point of remembering why I canceled my last one. The video quality is fine, but the uploader is still buggy after all these years. It took me three tries to get a ~10GB replacement file to upload yesterday -- each time starting from scratch.

So I'm actively looking for alternatives while I can still get a refund from Vimeo. YouTube is out of the question. I'm not a huge Google fan and I don't like ads on videos for business use. I also don't need anything fancy. I need to be able to host videos and embed them on my own sites. Nothing more. I really don't even need analytics because I frankly don't care how many people watch the videos.

I stumbled across muse.ai and decided to open the lowest level of monthly account as a trial. If it works out, I'll see if I can convert to annual, and possibly upgrade to the next level. Anyone have any experience with them?

My other option is to buy or lease another Web server just to host the media files, which I already do on some sites that I own. But it's a pretty pricey option with 4K file sizes. I suppose I also could use AWS.

Last edited:
My own impressions about Muse.ai so far are that the compression results in only fair video playback quality at 1080 and poor quality at 4K. It's definitely not a platform for videos of an artistic nature that you really want to look good.

On the other hand, it's cheap, has no weekly upload limits (it does have total storage limits, which can be inexpensively upgraded), has no ads, and does offer the option of publishing unlisted videos; so it might be suitable for some kinds of commercial inspection work at 1080. I'm undecided.

The uploads and processing are also much slower than other platforms; and the higher-resolution playback options randomly disappear from, and then reappear on, the player. I have no idea why.

Also of concern is that they haven't responded to a question about whether they even have a privacy policy. I can't find one on their site.

The monthly account is cheap enough that I'll give them some time. But my experience so far has been underwhelming. As annoying as Vimeo can be at times with their endless spam and on-site exhortations to upgrade, at least the videos look good.

I may keep both services and use one or the other depending on how important quality is in the context of a particular video. Or not. I'm undecided.

I decided to close the Muse.ai account. The reasons:

1. Slow uploads and processing.
  2. Embeds require JavaScript or iframe. (I prefer just using the HTML5 "video" tag.)
  3. No privacy policy.
  4. No response to an email about the privacy policy until I submitted a cancellation request.
  5. Excessively broad licensing terms in the company's favor.

Hi @GeekOnTheWing! muse.ai team member here. Thanks for trying our service! Just wanted to let you know that most of these issues have now been resolved:
1. We have improved our upload logic and it should be up to 50% faster.
2. You can now obtain direct video links, and use them in the HTML video tag.
3. Our privacy policy can be found here: muse.ai/privacy.
4. We have updated our terms to clarify that you always still own your data, we just need a licence to show your videos when you make them public on our site.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
Hi @GeekOnTheWing! muse.ai team member here. Thanks for trying our service! Just wanted to let you know that most of these issues have now been resolved:
1. We have improved our upload logic and it should be up to 50% faster.
2. You can now obtain direct video links, and use them in the HTML video tag.
3. Our privacy policy can be found here: muse.ai | Next-gen video hosting with the most advanced in-video search.
4. We have updated our terms to clarify that you always still own your data, we just need a licence to show your videos when you make them public on our site.
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually kind of impressed that you created an account here just to reply to one lukewarm post about your service.

I'll most likely give you another try. It's not like there's any huge downside. If you've improved, then good for you.

I'm also playing around with LumaFusion these days, so I can combine the two. I can either use existing footage or shoot some new stuff after the blizzard, edit and export it at 4K using LumaFusion, and upload it to your service to see how much it's improved.

Options are always good.

Richard

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials