Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Increase you Daytime VLOS distance

quinn karter

Reaction score
I attached a 2000-3000 lumen light to my autel evo 2. I can see it on sunny days at 5000ft. Here are the pics. If you can't see the spot of light, look in the center of the image and zoom in a little. The images are not my eyes, so its a little harder to see the light at the image;s field of view.

Attachments

• 20201222_133844.jpg
    20201222_133844.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20201222_133921.jpg
    20201222_133921.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 20201222_133928.jpg
    20201222_133928.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20201222_141651.jpg
    20201222_141651.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201222_141704.jpg
    20201222_141704.jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Waldo Pepper
i like it but it's lost when you turn . i always fly off the video feed anyways, this is a waste of time

I attached a 2000-3000 lumen light to my autel evo 2. I can see it on sunny days at 5000ft. Here are the pics. If you can't see the spot of light, look in the center of the image and zoom in a little. The images are not my eyes, so its a little harder to see the light at the image;s field of view.
Looks Heavy! You have velcro all over that thing!

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
i like it but it's lost when you turn . i always fly off the video feed anyways, this is a waste of time
That's true. But, when I fly with the light, I'm using it for surveillance. so I can keep it oriented toward me and just fly back forward left and right. Sometimes I turn, but I still know where it is in general. I just turn it slowly back and see the flash. and VLOS returns. I don't turn very often when viewing something. This idea doesn't work if your going to film something or do land surveying and need different angles. Oh, by the way. When I see the light, i get a pretty good estimate of the drones orientation. If my display fails or lose the camera feed, I still know it is facing backwards toward me. All I have to do is fly backwards and turn a little in each direction until I get it home. Of course I could use the home button.

Last edited:
That's true. But, when I fly with the light, I'm using it for surveillance. so I can keep it oriented toward me and just fly back forward left and right. Sometimes I turn, but I still know where it is in general. I just turn it slowly back and see the flash. and VLOS returns. I don't turn very often when viewing something. This idea doesn't work if your going to film something or do land surveying and need different angles. Oh, by the way. When I see the light, i get a pretty good estimate of the drones orientation. If my display fails or lose the camera feed, I still know it is facing backwards toward me. All I have to do is fly backwards and turn a little in each direction until I get it home. Of course I could use the home button.
Using the home button you will be blind for a while as the craft doesn't return in reverse LOL

I've done the same thing as well but simple strobe lights work fine; you don't need a big powerful flashlight. I have green/red in front and white on the rear so I know the orientation. I've been able to see these strobes for over 2 miles in the late evening. daytime is less but my strobes blink so they are easy to see. I haven't noticed much difference in flight time probably because I never come close to draining down my entire battery. 20 minutes w/no strobes, 20 minutes w/strobes. then I land.

ultimately I stopped doing this for various reasons. my eyesight is pretty good, I really don't need lights to see the big orange.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy