Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Inaccurate home point

butch

Reaction score
Had my evo now for a couple months now and have logged probably 50 flights. No matter how many times I have calibrated the compass I still get a pop-up notice "Inaccurate Home Point" when I lift off. The drone always comes back and lands within 6 inches of the take off point. On the app, it says compass is normal. MY question is why do I still get the "Inaccurate Home Point" flash up each time I take off? :rolleyes:
butch

If you turn on your drone and controller in one spot and then move your drone to another spot and then take off this will happen. Also if you take off in ATTI mode without waiting for the GPS to lock then it could also give you the wrong homepoint.

Sometimes I do turn on in one spot and move to another to take off, but not always. I do however wait for 13 - 15 sats.
Thanks Madhungarian, I will pay more attention to the lock on.......
butch

Reactions: Madhungarian
Are you using a launch pad? I got a rubber roll up mat style from Carolina Dronz and on a green field, it’s perfect for precision return to home. I set the Evo down and line up my legs with the marks, then start motors and do an auto take off. I give it a few seconds on that hover then go on my mission. My RTH brings in back almost exactly at the same spot and orientation at take off. It’s off by maybe an inch front to back but always middle perfect left to right.

Reactions: Nightbat2
Are you using a launch pad? I got a rubber roll up mat style from Carolina Dronz and on a green field, it’s perfect for precision return to home. I set the Evo down and line up my legs with the marks, then start motors and do an auto take off. I give it a few seconds on that hover then go on my mission. My RTH brings in back almost exactly at the same spot and orientation at take off. It’s off by maybe an inch front to back but always middle perfect left to right.
I am not using a launch pad. I have a large asphalt driveway (no rebar or metal) around the back of garage, leading to a pasture. I have a painted helo circle (24" dia) painted on the asphalt for the drone to take pics. I let the drone hover for several seconds before flying up. Yesterday I took at least 3 mins waiting for sats and had 14 before take off. I still got the inaccurate notice. I have no problem with accurate landing, it's always spot on. It's just the annoying pop-up notice I get for no apparent reason. And yes I have tried different locations to take off.
butch...............

Having some experience with several UAV's that have Precision landing some companies suggest using a orange and black landing pad. I have the square freewell pad that is orange and black on one side and yellow and black on the other side. I find Precision landing works better on the orange side.

Having some experience with several UAV's that have Precision landing some companies suggest using a orange and black landing pad. I have the square freewell pad that is orange and black on one side and yellow and black on the other side. I find Precision landing works better on the orange side.
I am thinking of ordering one of those pads.
I just painted my landing spot on the pavement out back, with a can of gray primer paint. My evo lands within inches of the center every time I take off from that spot. Have not been to any other locations to fly yet. I may go up to my church this afternoon to do a circle video (orbit) around the steeple. I will take something contrasting for it to take off and land on.
butch

Are you doing auto take off? It seems that helps input the location and store the picture of your pad. I launched from a tight spot next to a house last weekend and the RTH was perfect. The adjustments it makes for precision are about the same altitude as the hover hold at take off. I believe a quick launch will negate the “precision” part of the landing and it needs that moment of hover over launch point that auto take off provides.

Makes no difference where or how I take off, still the same thing on the screen. I have gotten used to it as it always lands within inches of the center of my landing spot.
butch

So your expecting it to land 100% on the exact spot? Hitting the pad and being within inches is somehow not working right? I’m confused.

So your expecting it to land 100% on the exact spot? Hitting the pad and being within inches is somehow not working right? I’m confused.
Yes, maybe you are confused. I could not be happier with where the drone lands. I was just wondering why the pop up, (inaccurate home point) shows up when in fact the drone DOES land where I expect.
butch

I’ve never seen that pop up so my bad. The one thing it does like to do is initiate an RTH sometimes when your manually landing on low battery. Thank goodness for that pause button.

I’ve never seen that pop up so my bad. The one thing it does like to do is initiate an RTH sometimes when your manually landing on low battery. Thank goodness for that pause button.
Yep, had that happen too and it went into the yo yo thing...........LOL
butch

Have tinkered a bit with the Yaw sensitivity and tried at .35 and it turns slowly negating any abrupt moves while filming however so far
it also lowers the front speed, am I missing something here I want regular forward speed but the yaw slowed.
Anyone could input some for me.?
Btw sorry to crash in like this.

I have the same pop up now, almost every time I start it. There is no problem with the flying or landing, just an annoying popup.

I have the same pop up now, almost every time I start it. There is no problem with the flying or landing, just an annoying popup.
My original post was way back in May 5th. I flew the evo yesterday, July 7th and I still get the pop up so nothing has changed on that. It still lands within inches and all that stuff so I just forget about the pop up, it goes away soon after take off anyway.
The newest thing now is that I get a warning of "magnetic interference" and compass calibration is needed. I will calibrate the evo sometimes two or three times and it will still say "failed". I get disgusted and fly anyway. Sometimes I can shut down the app, drone and controller, and when I boot everything up again the compass is normal. It's puzzling to me but the drone always flies fine and always knows where home is when I hit the RTH button.
butch

I'm on the list also. The main thing is this with me. I make sure I have enough satellites displayed and I ascend at least 30 feet (slowly) then I fly out to my mission. If the inaccurate homepoint message appears I pay special mind to it. I pay mind to landing anyways but the message tends to keep me on my toes.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fdragon