Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

If I'd known about Li-po batteries I probably would have built my own copter

Cowcharge

Reaction score
... and used some other kind of battery. So many videos of these things bursting into flames, I'm getting paranoid to have them in the house at all.

Nothing else can be as light and pack as much power as LiPo's. Yes, they do need some special care & handling but they are pretty safe if you treat them right. You can keep them in a lipo safe storage box. I use a vented metal ammo can myself. Lipo bags are good for charging. Always remain in sight of a charging lipo. I set mine on a fire-proof surface while charging. A stove top works well. Do some research on the proper handling of them and store them safely.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
As TJ said, you are presently using the best battery that there is. Unfortunately, there are some risks. But, if you treat a LiPo or even a LiIon battery properly, it will be an excellent battery. You might remember a few years ago, Boing had a few problems with Lithium batteries that it uses in it's commercial aircraft. Whether it's a 2 pound drone, or a 40 ton commercial aircraft, great steps are taken to minimize weight, while still providing maximum electrical storage. The same is true for hybrid and electric cars. There are a number of very good articles (on the internet) that provide good, common sense suggestions and information about properly using Lithuim batteries. Note also that you can ship Lithium batteries, and even travel with them as long as you follow the simple rules.
Rest easy. You have the best battery you can get. Without it, your aircraft would have a hard time getting off the ground, and it would only remain off the ground for a fraction of the time that you get from your Lithium batter.

Hehe you sound like turnigy's PR man (j/k). I'm gonna build a big one that uses motorcycle batteries.

Be patient with me, I never had to build a bunker to keep any of my toys in before.

I’ve been using LiPo cells for many years with RC planes and helicopters. From 6s to 10s; 1200W to 2100W, pulling 50 to 75A. Like many have said if charged correctly they are ‘pretty’ safe. The issue comes from a charger that does not balance the cells against one another. A charger that charges only to some specific voltage can cause issues. If a 4 cell charger (for instance) wants to charge the pack to 16v (4 volts per cell) and one cell of the 4 goes bad the other 3 cells will be overcharged as the charger is trying to reach 16v, over charging the 3 good cells. A proper charger will monitor each cell and charge accordingly so each cell is charged to 4.2v (for instance). Once 4.2v is reached on that cell charging stops on that cell and the others continue to charge until they reach 4.2v. This way overcharging can not happen. Still need to watch the batteries close.

Reactions: Cowcharge

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen