Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

How to return to the same GPS point location after recalling to change battery?

Kwbyrdman

Reaction score
Using Smart Controller with Evo II Pro. When on station and battery needs changing, can’t see how to return to same location to resume. Mission Planning before takeoff wouldn’t work as I don’t know where exactly the battery will run out. Would also need this capability to make time lapse photos of job site over time. Thanks in advance.

Also, this flight is a Manual photo shoot. The job does not lend itself to a Mission Plan.

As far as I know, the drone will make RTH if the battery is lower in Missions mode. You change the battery and restart the drone, wait for all to become green, then press: RESUME on mission...Will start from remaining point.
But...if you fly manually and return the drone by yourself to change the battery, how do you expect the drone to know the point were you need it?
Mission planning does not need you to be worried about where the battery will be depleted, as the drone is managing this...
So...
For a time-lapse you can make a mission with defined parameters and photos, speed, angle of gimbal and POI if you need, then start the mission...this is probably the only way to resume your time-lapse from the point where the battery is discharged.

As far as I know, the drone will make RTH if the battery is lower in Missions mode. You change the battery and restart the drone, wait for all to become green, then press: RESUME on mission...Will start from remaining point.
But...if you fly manually and return the drone by yourself to change the battery, how do you expect the drone to know the point were you need it?
Mission planning does not need you to be worried about where the battery will be depleted, as the drone is managing this...
So...
For a time-lapse you can make a mission with defined parameters and photos, speed, angle of gimbal and POI if you need, then start the mission...this is probably the only way to resume your time-lapse from the point where the battery is discharged.
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping that when flying manually, you could mark a waypoint on the map using the GPS coordinates and then return to it. I appreciate you taking the time.

Not some that I am aware of...Only in programmed missions can do that.
Sorry for not having a good news for you.

Go for a hybrid approach, or an old school technique.

Hybrid, mark where you were, are, go into mission and create a quick mission marking your spot. Becarefull and pay attention to AGL vs. MSL settings before using. Then RTH, change your battery, reverify your new mission settings, particular AGL vs. MSL, if ok, then start, use mission to position to where you were, stop the mission, exit mission mode, go to camera mode. If it is a location you routinely need to position to, setup a regular mission for that, use mission to position, then exit, resume what doing in regular camera mode.

Old school technique, enable GPS display on your app, note the location (write it down, screen shot, etc) as well as alt, then rth, swap battery, then simply fly back to that location.

Reactions: LeadSledGirl-AP
Go for a hybrid approach, or an old school technique.

Hybrid, mark where you were, are, go into mission and create a quick mission marking your spot. Becarefull and pay attention to AGL vs. MSL settings before using. Then RTH, change your battery, reverify your new mission settings, particular AGL vs. MSL, if ok, then start, use mission to position to where you were, stop the mission, exit mission mode, go to camera mode. If it is a location you routinely need to position to, setup a regular mission for that, use mission to position, then exit, resume what doing in regular camera mode.

Old school technique, enable GPS display on your app, note the location (write it down, screen shot, etc) as well as alt, then rth, swap battery, then simply fly back to that location.
Yes, this should do it, but what is the point? If he is in Manual Mode, is not like will need a very continuous flow...for this you have missions, also you can Pause a mission, make whatever you need, then Resume...and the drone will get exactly where it was...
Still, Autel lacks a lot of explanations related to Missions and what you can do, you need to test your imagination as there is almost no limit here.

Yes, this should do it, but what is the point? If he is in Manual Mode, is not like will need a very continuous flow...for this you have missions, also you can Pause a mission, make whatever you need, then Resume...and the drone will get exactly where it was...
Still, Autel lacks a lot of explanations related to Missions and what you can do, you need to test your imagination as there is almost no limit here.
The point is simple, you had not planned on doing a mission, or, you need to do something that missions in their current state are a PITA to do. Missions are improving, however concur there is still plenty of room for improvement to enable what can be imagined in their use.

Btw, did I miss something, can you now pause a mission, jump out to camera mode, do something like shoot a panorama, then go back and resume the mission from where it was? If so that is huge, or, at least until autel adds spherical panos to mission waypoints actions.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials