Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

HDR on - HDR off... what am I doing wrong?

OrangeHawk417

Reaction score
The onluy setting different in the 2 pictures is HDR. In the first photo HRD is ON....the second photo HDR IS OFF. Why am i getting a different in pictures like this? With HDR on it just looks awful. Whys it like this?

Attachments

• MAX_0025.JPG
    MAX_0025.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 45
  • MAX_0027.JPG
    MAX_0027.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
You may be doing nothing wrong. Why? Since your testing reveals that you prefer the images with HDR off, just keep using that setting. "Why" is truly irrelevant to your results.

For my use, I set all parameters manually, relying on my experience and Photoshop skills... rather than an algorithm decided upon by some anonymous programmer.

The onluy setting different in the 2 pictures is HDR. In the first photo HRD is ON....the second photo HDR IS OFF. Why am i getting a different in pictures like this? With HDR on it just looks awful. Whys it like this?

HDR in general looks awful, especially fully automated HDR as you have seen first hand. If you want to experiment with HDR you are much better off shooting a 3 or 5 shoot AEB bracket and manually blending the images using Lightroom, Photoshop, or your photo editor of choice.

Personally I never use HDR especially with drones and instead focus on maximizing the DR of the sensor in post. The drone moves ever so slightly between shots so you will always have to contend with ghosting which turns sharp details into a blurry mess.

Reactions: OrangeHawk417
Thanks for the Response. First flight with the Evo II was 6/10/21 and coming close to 300 flights total and had 153 flights with Mavic 2 Zoom so ive flown a considerable amount and this is the first time im having a problem like this. I posted the something on a forum with Facebook and 3 people now have said they are having the same problem and it wasnt until the new update. Still waiting for Autel themselves to get back to me but from what im hearing I might be waiting for a while. 1 of the reasons I didnt get another DJI besides after my Zoom turn off at 300 ft in the air with 90% battery life was because the customer service was horrible when having to replace the Zoom. I get companies are short staffed but this is crazy...esp since I even offered to work for them if they wanted to train me! Im being serious too cuz I was just let go from my job. This world I tell ya...

You may be doing nothing wrong. Why? Since your testing reveals that you prefer the images with HDR off, just keep using that setting. "Why" is truly irrelevant to your results.

For my use, I set all parameters manually, relying on my experience and Photoshop skills... rather than an algorithm decided upon by some anonymous programmer.
Well considering this happened only after the update and on another forum ive had 3 people say the same thing is happening to theirs. Normally I use manual settings for everything because I want as real as an image as possible. Anyone can photo shop something to look different. I just want a feature to work like advertised when paying alot of money for it. Anyone can edit anything these days. Doesnt take a genius to do that. I just want things to work as the people who make the things say they are suppose to.

Thanks for the Response. First flight with the Evo II was 6/10/21 and coming close to 300 flights total and had 153 flights with Mavic 2 Zoom so ive flown a considerable amount and this is the first time im having a problem like this. I posted the something on a forum with Facebook and 3 people now have said they are having the same problem and it wasnt until the new update. Still waiting for Autel themselves to get back to me but from what im hearing I might be waiting for a while. 1 of the reasons I didnt get another DJI besides after my Zoom turn off at 300 ft in the air with 90% battery life was because the customer service was horrible when having to replace the Zoom. I get companies are short staffed but this is crazy...esp since I even offered to work for them if they wanted to train me! Im being serious too cuz I was just let go from my job. This world I tell ya...

Customer service across the board is hovering somewhere close to zero for pretty much every customer service encounter I have these days. Good luck getting a real person on the phone for anything, even the simplest things. I was on hold with the bank so long the other day that I had to plug my phone in just to not lose my place in line. Companies are really playing this COVID card to excuse terrible service.

As far as drones go, DJI's customer service was so bad I realized long ago that when it comes to drones your only real recourse ends the day the return window ends from whatever vendor you got it from. Me personally, I keep it simple, manual mode at all times, no firmware updates ever after the return window ends, no missions, no automatic modes, and minimal changes from factory settings. I haven't updated my EVO II 6K since the one update I did as soon as I got it (and was still within the vendor's return window) and it still works exactly like the day I got it. I also haven't updated my iPad mini since 2016, it stays in airplane mode, and it still works great.

Mine is probably not the best approach, but once I've discovered how to workaround the many little minor annoyances of each drone system, to me the risk of introducing new problems is greater than the rewards of possible new features or bug fixes when it comes to firmware updates.

HDR is created for HDR monitors. For editing you need to have Rec2020 Hlg profile in DaVinci. At export the container should have same profile to keep HDR info.
The video should be seen on HDR DISPLAY, in windows you should turn on HDR and have a monitor capable of 1000+ nits.
If not, HDR will look like crap.
Here you have a YouTube video with HDR and Log... Is translated to Rec709, you should see it fine... But in order to see the true HDR capabilities, turn on HDR on windows display, make sure your monitor is in HDR mode and go to the video that is linked in my video description... Is HDR from Evo2Pro, same scene you have seen in Rec709.
Then, we can talk about HDR looking... :)

Customer service across the board is hovering somewhere close to zero for pretty much every customer service encounter I have these days. Good luck getting a real person on the phone for anything, even the simplest things. I was on hold with the bank so long the other day that I had to plug my phone in just to not lose my place in line. Companies are really playing this COVID card to excuse terrible service.

As far as drones go, DJI's customer service was so bad I realized long ago that when it comes to drones your only real recourse ends the day the return window ends from whatever vendor you got it from. Me personally, I keep it simple, manual mode at all times, no firmware updates ever after the return window ends, no missions, no automatic modes, and minimal changes from factory settings. I haven't updated my EVO II 6K since the one update I did as soon as I got it (and was still within the vendor's return window) and it still works exactly like the day I got it. I also haven't updated my iPad mini since 2016, it stays in airplane mode, and it still works great.

Mine is probably not the best approach, but once I've discovered how to workaround the many little minor annoyances of each drone system, to me the risk of introducing new problems is greater than the rewards of possible new features or bug fixes when it comes to firmware updates.
Yea I try and do the same. Still learning. With out updating you haven't had any problems with any features? I use an iPhone with mine. Wish I could get the smart remote or what ever its called.

HDR is created for HDR monitors. For editing you need to have Rec2020 Hlg profile in DaVinci. At export the container should have same profile to keep HDR info.
The video should be seen on HDR DISPLAY, in windows you should turn on HDR and have a monitor capable of 1000+ nits.
Here you have a YouTube video with HDR and Log... Is translated to Rec709, you should see it fine... But in order to see the true HDR capabilities, turn on HDR on windows display, make sure your monitor is in HDR mode and go to the video that is linked in my video description... Is HDR from Evo2Pro, same scene you have seen in Rec709.
Gotcha! Thank you!

Yea I try and do the same. Still learning. With out updating you haven't had any problems with any features? I use an iPhone with mine. Wish I could get the smart remote or what ever its called.
If you have Iphone with HDR capabilities, you can see the difference in HDR and SDR ;)

Remember though the OP was asking about HDR in photography not video. You do not need an HDR monitor to see HDR photography. Typically you simply take 3/5/7 or more images, change the shutter speed to achieve different exposures for each image then blend them together to increase the DR of the image. Anything beyond the native DR of the camera can be considered an "HDR image". So if for example the camera sensor is limited to 10 stops but the scene is 12 stops and you exposure blend the images to achieve 12 useable stops of light then the image can be considered an HDR image.

The problem with the automatic HDR process is that it tends to result in muddy or unrealistic colors. The main problem with drone HDR images is that the drone is not perfectly still so ghosting is another big problem with HDR images from drones. I personally never shoot HDR with drones and just stick to whatever DR the drone's sensor natively provides. HDR software has gotten better about achieving more realistic results but nothing beats hand blending in your photo editor of choice. I would say it is safe to say that Peter Lik is one of the most famous photographers that uses this technique to create incredible works of art.

Remember though the OP was asking about HDR in photography not video. You do not need an HDR monitor to see HDR photography. Typically you simply take 3/5/7 or more images, change the shutter speed to achieve different exposures for each image then blend them together to increase the DR of the image. Anything beyond the native DR of the camera can be considered an "HDR image". So if for example the camera sensor is limited to 10 stops but the scene is 12 stops and you exposure blend the images to achieve 12 useable stops of light then the image can be considered an HDR image.

The problem with the automatic HDR process is that it tends to result in muddy or unrealistic colors. The main problem with drone HDR images is that the drone is not perfectly still so ghosting is another big problem with HDR images from drones. I personally never shoot HDR with drones and just stick to whatever DR the drone's sensor natively provides. HDR software has gotten better about achieving more realistic results but nothing beats hand blending in your photo editor of choice. I would say it is safe to say that Peter Lik is one of the most famous photographers that uses this technique to create incredible works of art.
For this type of things I do not use always HDR but blend 2 photos, one exposed for highlights, another for shadows... Gives more contrast and true color... Also you can select the range of Luma that is affected and the flow...

For the OP DarkFox84, did you take right-button camera stills while you were shooting video (or the video recording button set to HDR and not recording)? Because there is not an HDR setting on the still camera, only a 3 or 5 shot AEB. Whenever I take stills while in video mode, instead of exiting the video camera recording settings screen, I often later regret it because it will take the shot at the video resolution as a screen grab. That's usually not what you want for stills. And it's shooting at what exposure and color balance the video is set to (think of it as a screen-grab). The sensor in the AE2Pro has 13-14 stops of dynamic range-- at the lower ISO settings, and probably not in .jpgs that are screen grabs. If you want all of that DR goodness to be noiseless clean in high brightness ratio situations that includes a low-key area (shadows), you're probably going to need to stack several exposures shot in RAW. It's trivially easy to do this nowadays in any number of editors (I use Affinity Photo). But the Evo 2 doesn't do this sort of stacking for stills in-camera--or at least not that I'm aware of

Reactions: gschulzuio

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials