Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

HDMI to rca?

WildDoktor

Reaction score
I posted this over on rcgroups, but nobody has responded, so I thought I'd ask here!

Any video gurus here? If I use one of the $10 hdmi to rca converters (powered by usb) to go from my Shield K1 to my eachine ev800 goggles, would I a) see the entire K1 screen in the goggles, or part of it be chopped off?, b) get good enough resolution to properly expose and frame camera shots?

Goggles screen specs:
Screen size:5.0 inch
Screen resolution: 800*480
Screen brightness: 600cd/m2 with special high brightness backlight LED for outdoor FPV
View Angle: 140/120 degree(Horizontal/Vertical)

I'm just trying to get a screen that's out of the sun enough that I can see it well enough to do the 2 above things. Not looking to fly fpv for the entire flight; just get to where I want to be, then go "under the hood" and get the shot(s) setup.

I have a glare shield on the K1; it does cut the glare, but it also washes out the screen and cuts the brightness by a lot; not a very good solution. I also cut up some dollar store foam board and created a makeshift hood, and that works good but it's big and clunky and there is still some glare. So using my existing fpv goggles would be awesome.

If none of this works I'll just buy a set of goggles with HDMI in; but thought I'd save some money if I could...

I did. :) As I said, it's big and clunky, and still a prototype.

I added Velcro to the inside of the Autel tablet shade that came with my XSP. Then cut foam board and attached with Velcro.

Would rather use goggles. :) Anybody know what the conversion from HDMI to rca would do to the resolution?

ee8b60584510bfef80afea47704bea05.jpg
29b18b8f0b09d6a799f7c19d799e94a3.jpg
1e3480ef59e83fe187fde972eef91fdf.jpg
f40c4194ef7f0b8f6c7776692cc0c43c.jpg

I know this for sure, connecting a DVD player to your TV via RCA jacks is nowhere near the quality you get with HDMI, so I would think the same thing would hold true with the goggles, but it still may be good enough to do what you want. The only way you will know for sure, is to give it a shot.

Good point! Well, I just ordered a converter; we'll see what happens.

You're converting digital to analog so yes, there will be a noticeable degradation of quality. Also you'll go from a 16x9 format to a 4x3 format.

Another good point! Well, we'll see how it looks in a few days, but it seems like it's probably not going to be what I want.

A set of "Eachine Goggles Two" would work exactly how I want, but dang...those things are *huge*! Imagine having a set of those on top of your head for 95% of the flight!

A set of Skyzone SKY02S would be more convenient, but dang...those things are expensive! And they aren't 1080p.

Yuneec, DJI, Glyph, and Cinimizer goggles are all very good, but dang...no 5.8 receiver (if I'm going to get goggles, I feel like I need to be able to use them with my tiny whoop), and progressively more expensive.

My diy shade is looking more and more promising. :)

When I finally got done with my hoodie, it looked as pictured. Completely enclosed to make it as dark as possible, with an opening for your fingers, hooks to set it in place on the controller, and velcro to tighten it down. It won't win a beauty contest, but it does the job.

Attachments

• 20170607_154443_001.jpg
    20170607_154443_001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20170607_154606.jpg
    20170607_154606.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
I received my little hdmi to rca converter box and mini-to-regular hdmi cable last night. So I powered up the Nvidia Shield K1, set the switch on the converter box to NTSC, powered up the box via usb power brick, plugged an rca video cable into the box and my Eachine ev800 goggles av adapter, powered up the ev800, set the source to av, plugged the adapter into the av port on the ev800, and...

It didn't work. :)

So I plugged an hdmi cable from my server into the converter box, and presto...I could see my computer screen in the ev800's. Fairly fuzzy, but the colors are pretty much perfect.

I plugged the hdmi cable from my K1 to my monitor, just to be sure that was working, and presto; could see the K1 screen on my 27" monitor (looked GREAT!!).

So everything works, except what I bought the stuff for. Figures. :)

Oh well; I went ahead and bought a used/like new pair of Eachine Goggles 2 from rcgroups. Those should work just fine. Will report back when I get them!

Got my goggles, and the hdmi port isn't the "normal" size; it's a mini, just like on the K1. Arrr!! Now I have a converter ordered and should be here tomorrow.

So I tried the goggles with my Inductrix FPV, and wow...what an amazing picture!! I can't wait to get this tied to my K1; I think it's going to give me exactly what I need.

But like Inigo Montoya says..."I hate waiting." :D

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials