Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

GPS Receiver - Ground Control Points

Jarrod

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I fly and Evo II and am looking at purchasing a GPS/GNSS receiver to record my ground control points.

Has anyone purchased a hand help receiver to do this? If so what Brand/Model?

I will be using Drone2Map in ArcGIS for processing Orthos and 3D models so am just looking for a receiver so I can add the GCP coordinates before processing.

TIA for any info

The RS2 is a good bet because you can use it as a base station also (kind of, sort of, with some screwing around).

I really like my North SmaRTK network rovers for capturing ground points. More of a 'survey grade' type solution.

I have zero idea where you are in the world, but in the USA, surveying GCP's and creating mapping products is covered in most of the states land surveying laws and is a licensed activity. (I say most because I am not familiar with all 50 state laws, but likely all very similar) I am licensed in five western USA states and the activity you describe would be in violation of the law in all five states. Just a FYI.

Here is typical language:

“Practice of land surveying” means that branch of the practice of engineering in which:
(a) Surveys are made to determine area or topography, to establish or reestablish land
boundaries, corners or monuments or to subdivide or plat land;
(b) Surveys are made to establish lines, grades or elevations, or to determine or
estimate quantities of materials required, removed or in place;
(c) Surveys are made for horizontal or vertical mapping control or geodetic control; or

To your question, you will need a phase based GNSS solution receiver to get any accuracy that is usable, sometimes called survey grade. The RS2 kit falls in that class as do many other receivers. Something like the RS2 is probably on the low end of cost for that type of receiver. It looks like DA2 will work too with the subscription.

SHG

I have zero idea where you are in the world, but in the USA, surveying GCP's and creating mapping products is covered in most of the states land surveying laws and is a licensed activity. (I say most because I am not familiar with all 50 state laws, but likely all very similar) I am licensed in five western USA states and the activity you describe would be in violation of the law in all five states. Just a FYI.

Here is typical language:

“Practice of land surveying” means that branch of the practice of engineering in which:
(a) Surveys are made to determine area or topography, to establish or reestablish land
boundaries, corners or monuments or to subdivide or plat land;
(b) Surveys are made to establish lines, grades or elevations, or to determine or
estimate quantities of materials required, removed or in place;
(c) Surveys are made for horizontal or vertical mapping control or geodetic control; or

To your question, you will need a phase based GNSS solution receiver to get any accuracy that is usable, sometimes called survey grade. The RS2 kit falls in that class as do many other receivers. Something like the RS2 is probably on the low end of cost for that type of receiver. It looks like DA2 will work too with the subscription.

SHG
Hi Shelby,

Thanks for that information. I am in NZ as far as I am aware there are no laws that restrict the activity I am carrying out... but I will investigate further for sure.

Reactions: Shelby Griggs

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t