Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

GPS inaccurate home position warning

Just checked my flight logs and have had as many as 19 satellites with only 3 bars on the remote. I don’t think I have ever seen more than 3 bars.

Just checked my flight logs and have had as many as 19 satellites with only 3 bars on the remote. I don’t think I have ever seen more than 3 bars.
Txfirecop - thanks for checking and confirming you only get a max of 3 bars of GPS signal strength. Question - do you also get the “GPS signal weak” warning message on EVERY takeoff?

Txfirecop - thanks for checking and confirming you only get a max of 3 bars of GPS signal strength. Question - do you also get the “GPS signal weak” warning message on EVERY takeoff?
I get the GPS signal strength warning on EVERY takeoff also. I do have the latest, greatest firmware and app.

I updated F/W to Version 2.5.0 a few minutes ago and flew 1 test flight. I launched with 10 GPS satellites showing and did not receive the "GPS inaccurate home position warning"! YEAH!

Updating to the 2.5.0 firmware did not fix the "GPS Signal Weak" issue for me. I still receive this warning message on EVERY takeoff - even when in clear field on sunny days. Also, I typically see a maximum of 3 out of 5 bars of GPS signal strength throughout the flight even at 400 feet altitude with ZERO obstacles to horizon for 360 degrees as documented in all my flight records. Finally, and most distressing, is the new Smart Orbit mode is completely useless for me after updating to firmware 2.5.0; I now get the following error message EVERY time I try to initiate an orbit after selecting the target by drawing a box around it and tapping START: "Fail. GPS signal is weak!" Smart Orbit worked most of the time BEFORE updating to firmware version 2.5.0. I will be filing a service request later today with Autel Customer Support as I believe I (and others) have an Autel Evo Pro with a faulty GPS sensor.

Definitely call them. I have. Waiting to hear back with the results from everything I’ve sent to them for evaluation. My Evo Pro is constantly switching between GPS and Starlink every flight and I have also been getting the GPS stuff on startup too.

I agree with you on drones only needing 8+ satellites to achieve GPS lock. But I disagree with your statement that the message will go away once the drone has achieved GPS lock.

I get this message on every takeoff of my Autel Evo II Pro - even after the drone has been started up and sitting on the ground seeing 13 satellites for 5 minutes.

I suspect (theorize) that the “GPS signal weak” message is tied to the GPS signal strength indication not being higher than 3 out of 5 bars. The remote control for my Evo II Pro (and EVERY flight record) never indicate higher than 3 bars (out of 5) of GPS signal strength - even when drone is 400 feet in the air on a clear day. I further theorize that either the programming in some Autel Evo II aircraft (mine included) is incorrectly calculating the GPS signal strength level OR that there is a batch of Evo II aircraft with deficient/faulty GPS modules (or incorrectly positioned/shielded GPS modules) which causes them to have reduced GPS signal reception.

Are any Autel Evo II owners consistently seeing 4 or 5 bars of GPS signal strength when their aircraft is in open areas on sunny days (particularly when it is 50+ feet in the air)? If so, are YOU getting these “GPS signal weak” messages on EVERY takeoff or just on rare occasion?
Yes, I consistently get four bars and sometimes 5. I get 12 or 13 on the ground and up to 22 in the air. I have one of the newer EVO 2 pros that came with the new low noise props. I did have to return the first EVO 2 pro for other issues. I have about 30 flights on this one so far and everything is spot on. The new props are nice too. They have a deeper camber so they operate at a lower rpm.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles