Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

GPS inaccurate home position warning

Len

Reaction score
I've seen few posts about this error message, but I literally get it EVERY single time I take off. I can have 19 satellites I still get this message. Is it a know bug or problem with my drone? I have EVO II Pro...

I get that warning only if I have a low satellite count, or when taking off without keeping the unit still for a second and flying away from the home point immediately after taking off too soon. Other than that, I have not had the warning anytime else.

Reactions: Len
Does it have anything to do with the gps or compass of the device? I must admit I’ve not had that error

Thanks! I'll give Autel a call then... It happens every time without fail, as soon as I start taking off..

I've seen few posts about this error message, but I literally get it EVERY single time I take off. I can have 19 satellites I still get this message. Is it a know bug or problem with my drone? I have EVO II Pro...
I am plagued with that problem too. Same bird.

Me too please update us with what they say. I spoke with them weeks ago but if it does not happen with all Pro’s with the same number of satellites showing that would be interesting

I also get the “GPS Signal Weak” on EVERY single takeoff! Very annoying. In addition, on the RC I never get a GPS signal strength better than 3 out of 5 bars even when I’m 400 feet in the air on a clear sunny day in a wide open field. Does anyone have this same issue with only getting a maximum of 3 out of 5 bars GPS signal strength on the remote control?

Last edited:
I ran some RTH tests today. Sometimes I get 11 sats with strong signals and no warnings, and good RTH. Other times more 16+ sats with poor signals, warnings, and poor RTH +/- 30ft accuracy.

Sorry guys I never got to call them. I'll try next week... For me it's like going to a dentist lol

I get the warning every single flight, drives me nuts. The most satellites I remember seeing logged is 17, out in the middle of the bay, still got the warning. I called support second day I had it, if I recall correctly they said it will show until one has acquired 19 satellites? Never seen that many. They said it just means RTH will not be pinpoint.

I get the warning every single flight, drives me nuts. The most satellites I remember seeing logged is 17, out in the middle of the bay, still got the warning. I called support second day I had it, if I recall correctly they said it will show until one has acquired 19 satellites? Never seen that many. They said it just means RTH will not be pinpoint.
Sounds made up. All drones get a good GPS lock with 8 or more satellites. You will get this message when the drone has yet to get GPS and VPS lock. Once it does, the message will go away.

Seems like many have the same issue I do. Even so the bird always finds home....so far.

Sounds made up. All drones get a good GPS lock with 8 or more satellites. You will get this message when the drone has yet to get GPS and VPS lock. Once it does, the message will go away.
I agree with you on drones only needing 8+ satellites to achieve GPS lock. But I disagree with your statement that the message will go away once the drone has achieved GPS lock.

I get this message on every takeoff of my Autel Evo II Pro - even after the drone has been started up and sitting on the ground seeing 13 satellites for 5 minutes.

I suspect (theorize) that the “GPS signal weak” message is tied to the GPS signal strength indication not being higher than 3 out of 5 bars. The remote control for my Evo II Pro (and EVERY flight record) never indicate higher than 3 bars (out of 5) of GPS signal strength - even when drone is 400 feet in the air on a clear day. I further theorize that either the programming in some Autel Evo II aircraft (mine included) is incorrectly calculating the GPS signal strength level OR that there is a batch of Evo II aircraft with deficient/faulty GPS modules (or incorrectly positioned/shielded GPS modules) which causes them to have reduced GPS signal reception.

Are any Autel Evo II owners consistently seeing 4 or 5 bars of GPS signal strength when their aircraft is in open areas on sunny days (particularly when it is 50+ feet in the air)? If so, are YOU getting these “GPS signal weak” messages on EVERY takeoff or just on rare occasion?

I take off in a forest clearing isolated from power lines and houses. I have had no warnings with 11 satellites and 3 or 4 bars with good RTH. I have had warnings with 18 satellites and 3 or 4 bars with poor RTH (+/- 30ft). The warnings have been prescient.

I agree with you on drones only needing 8+ satellites to achieve GPS lock. But I disagree with your statement that the message will go away once the drone has achieved GPS lock.

I get this message on every takeoff of my Autel Evo II Pro - even after the drone has been started up and sitting on the ground seeing 13 satellites for 5 minutes.

I suspect (theorize) that the “GPS signal weak” message is tied to the GPS signal strength indication not being higher than 3 out of 5 bars. The remote control for my Evo II Pro (and EVERY flight record) never indicate higher than 3 bars (out of 5) of GPS signal strength - even when drone is 400 feet in the air on a clear day. I further theorize that either the programming in some Autel Evo II aircraft (mine included) is incorrectly calculating the GPS signal strength level OR that there is a batch of Evo II aircraft with deficient/faulty GPS modules (or incorrectly positioned/shielded GPS modules) which causes them to have reduced GPS signal reception.

Are any Autel Evo II owners consistently seeing 4 or 5 bars of GPS signal strength when their aircraft is in open areas on sunny days (particularly when it is 50+ feet in the air)? If so, are YOU getting these “GPS signal weak” messages on EVERY takeoff or just on rare occasion?
You seem to ignore the VPS part of my post. I have never paid any attention to these bars on the controller, but rather how many satellites show on the app. Have you tried to do RTH and verify how innacurate your home point is?

You seem to ignore the VPS part of my post. I have never paid any attention to these bars on the controller, but rather how many satellites show on the app. Have you tried to do RTH and verify how innacurate your home point is?
I get precision landings (within 6 inches) about 75% of the time and as much as 25 feet off the other 25% of the time. I understand that YOU ignore the GPS signal bars, but that isn’t pertinent or helpful to my issue or questions. What would be helpful is if you and other Autel Evo II owners could review your flight records and report the number of GPS signal strength bars that are logged throughout your flights - especially while the aircraft is high in the air in open areas on sunny days with low Kp Index activity (ideal GPS signal strength conditions).

All Autel Evo II aircraft should be equipped with the same GPS hardware and GPS programming. Firmware version may have an impact - I have the latest version as if 03 AUG 2020, but the low GPS signal strength issue hasn’t changed for me through two firmware updates. My Autel Evo II NEVER reports more than 3 bars of GPS signal strength - even momentarily - regardless of flying location (flown in 3 different states to date) even when 400 feet in the air in open areas on clear, sunny days.

If others are typically seeing 4 or 5 bars of GPS signal strength in similar ideal conditions while others (like me) only see a maximum of 3 bars, that could possibly indicate either a hardware issue on my individual Autel Evo II Pro or with a batch of them (if others have the same issue).

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy