Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Geofencing has arrived

If you want to get techical, there is no airspace in the US termed "a no fly zone". There is various restricted and controlled airspace. A "no fly zone" with regard to geofencing is a coordinate defined area in which the aircraft will not fly. There are no NFZs enforced in the US by Autel.

I currently have 7 DJI craft that have geofencing on them today. A sure thing. My Evo 2 Pro does not.

Could Autel break their promise some day? Of course it's possible. If you are so concerned that it might happen that you don't ever update the fw on the craft you have, then great, no problem. Nothing forcing you to update. It's a personal choice that each of us must make. If it does everything you need without any updates then you're all set.
What does the Autel warning state when flying over restricted and controlled airspace? Does it not use the term "No Fly Zone"? My recollection is that it does, but I rarely fly in restricted and controlled airspace.

I'm confident that Autel will eventually change their minds and convert the Warnings into mandates in the U.S., whether the FAA requires it or not. Hopefully, that is later than sooner. Until then, their drones have a unique feature, and I am happy to have them. I'm also not so sure that a FW update would be required to convert the warnings into mandates. Regardless, Autel can also mandate a future FW update, if compulsory FW capability is part of the latest FW that installed the updated airspace database. If DJI can do it, so can Autel.

I've been flying DJI aircraft since 2016, so I still have some of those earlier birds on older FW that are GEO free, but the cameras can't compare to those of today on GEO, like the new Mavic 3. Everything is a compromise! It's all about image quality.

What does the Autel warning state when flying over restricted and controlled airspace? Does it not use the term "No Fly Zone"? My recollection is that it does, but I rarely fly in restricted and controlled airspace.

I'm confident that Autel will eventually change their minds and convert the Warnings into mandates in the U.S., whether the FAA requires it or not. Hopefully, that is later than sooner. Until then, their drones have a unique feature, and I am happy to have them. I'm also not so sure that a FW update would be required to convert the warnings into mandates. Regardless, Autel can also mandate a future FW update, if compulsory FW capability is part of the latest FW that installed the updated airspace database. If DJI can do it, so can Autel.

I've been flying DJI aircraft since 2016, so I still have some of those earlier birds on older FW that are GEO free, but the cameras can't compare to those of today on GEO, like the new Mavic 3. Everything is a compromise! It's all about image quality.

I don't know the terminology used by the warnings. I haven't had one yet. If you don't update to the FW that has the airspace database, then it would be virtually impossible for it to impose a NFZ. It's easy enough to not install updates if that is what you want to do. Unless you have auto updates enabled. I don't know what motivation Autel would have to empose geofencing short of the mandate they reference. But my crystal ball is not as clear as yours. :)

I still have a P1 and maybe some F450 parts (circa 2012) but I'm not sure what that has to do with Autel.

Reactions: G_G
I don't know the terminology used by the warnings. I haven't had one yet. If you don't update to the FW that has the airspace database, then it would be virtually impossible for it to impose a NFZ. It's easy enough to not install updates if that is what you want to do. Unless you have auto updates enabled. I don't know what motivation Autel would have to empose geofencing short of the mandate they reference. But my crystal ball is not as clear as yours. :)

I still have a P1 and maybe some F450 parts (circa 2012) but I'm not sure what that has to do with Autel.
Auto updates are always off, not only on apps and FW, but also on all devices' OS!
There has always been a warning airspace database installed on all Autel aircraft since at least the EVO, so with that came the ability to control how it was used. The recent update to the airspace database did come with anti rollback, and a FW update was required to resolve a problem with gimbal control caused by using the SC V1 and reverting to the original controller, so that ship has already sailed. Only motivation for Autel to impose mandatory geofencing would be in response to bad publicity from a serious Autel drone incident caused by lack of geofencing. It just takes one. It seems inevitable that one will eventually occur.

The DJI drones I was referring to are P3P's, P4's, P4P's, and even an M2Z that all operate on an older version of GO 4 with GEO turned off in the settings, when it was still an option, and older FW. As long as each drone set is completely sandboxed with its own dedicated tablet, one can avoid even DJI's GEO on older aircraft, but not their NFZ's, lending support to your earlier statement about avoiding updates as a means of maintaining pilot control over where you can and can't fly. However, if we want the latest and greatest cameras and features, we accept GEO and get unlocks, or fly Autel!

In this day and age, there are numerous ways to get around all manufactures imposed flight restrictions on just about every drone. This puts you, the pilot, squarely in control of all your flight actions...exactly the way it should be.

Reactions: PingSpike
Update, this error with orbit intelligent flight mode is in the process of getting fixed. We are working with the Op and others currently, collecting data.

Until then on should be able to use waypoint with POI to achieve the same functionality.
FIXED FYI

Auto updates are always off, not only on apps and FW, but also on all devices' OS!
There has always been a warning airspace database installed on all Autel aircraft since at least the EVO, so with that came the ability to control how it was used. The recent update to the airspace database did come with anti rollback, and a FW update was required to resolve a problem with gimbal control caused by using the SC V1 and reverting to the original controller, so that ship has already sailed. Only motivation for Autel to impose mandatory geofencing would be in response to bad publicity from a serious Autel drone incident caused by lack of geofencing. It just takes one. It seems inevitable that one will eventually occur.

The DJI drones I was referring to are P3P's, P4's, P4P's, and even an M2Z that all operate on an older version of GO 4 with GEO turned off in the settings, when it was still an option, and older FW. As long as each drone set is completely sandboxed with its own dedicated tablet, one can avoid even DJI's GEO on older aircraft, but not their NFZ's, lending support to your earlier statement about avoiding updates as a means of maintaining pilot control over where you can and can't fly. However, if we want the latest and greatest cameras and features, we accept GEO and get unlocks, or fly Autel!
FIXED FYI
Correct, sorry it took so long to fix.

Hope people realize Autel isn’t trying to play games with NFZ.

But, there's an annoying bug that basically bumps the gimbal sensivity to 100% once you're doing an orbit/smart Orbit, that basically ruins the shot if you're trying to do a manual adjustment whatsoever.
I have the same problem and postet on different threads already without response. Did you find a solution to this? At least I'm glad not to be the only one with this issue.

I have the same problem and postet on different threads already without response. Did you find a solution to this? At least I'm glad not to be the only one with this issue.
Unfortunately the only solution for now would be downgrading the firmware, but that means throwing away the panorama features ;/

Reactions: honkihonk
...fix one, broke another two :)
Beta AE fixed some things and broke others, and I really do not understand how they do this...The modular programming should prevent such things...
Let's hope we will have a functional Beta with all fixes and no more EXTRA bugs this year :)

Reactions: honkihonk
Depending on where you fly, you might start to see the first signs of autels geo fencing.

I'm going to be alittle vague here, but I work at an airport, and operate a fleet of Evo 2 v1s for various tasks around the field. Our airfield is marked as a no fly zone in autel explorer (for obvious reasons)

Intelligent modes are now locked out when operating in autels no fly zones.

We've reached out to autel, and learned this restriction is intentional, and there are currently no plans to allow an unlock of these modes while within a no fly zone.

Atleast with DJI, you can jump through the DJI unlock hoops and get going.

Just wanted to do my duty to pass on this newly learned info to other users.

Manual flying in no fly zones is all you get. Which isn't terrible, but depending on the project those intelligent modes sure were nice.
Can ebo 2 fly in o
Depending on where you fly, you might start to see the first signs of autels geo fencing.

I'm going to be alittle vague here, but I work at an airport, and operate a fleet of Evo 2 v1s for various tasks around the field. Our airfield is marked as a no fly zone in autel explorer (for obvious reasons)

We've reached out to autel, and learned this restriction is intentional, and there are currently no plans to allow an unlock of these modes while within a no fly zone.

Manual flying in no fly zones is all you get. Which isn't terrible, but depending on the project those intelligent modes sure were nice.
Can my evo 2 fly in a no fly zone ?? What will happen if my evo 2 flys in a no fly zone?

Can ebo 2 fly in o

Can my evo 2 fly in a no fly zone ?? What will happen if my evo 2 flys in a no fly zone?
there is nothing in the evo 2 software or remote controller that will prevent an evo 2 from flying anywhere. there are laws against it but a law cannot stop it either. however, there may be equipment that can be deployed to prevent your drone or any drone from flying anywhere.

in the usa, please get familiar with: https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/community_engagement/no_drone_zone/

You can fly over White House if you want, but you assume any legal actions.
There is no NFZ on Autel in USA or Europe.
Not yet mandatory, but the NFZ‘s are already installed. They obliterate the FPV screen with an unremovable warning. You‘ll be shot down long before you can fly over the White House.

So basically my evo 2 drone can fly anywhere while its gps is on ? If i coordinate it from (A.) To (B) n theres a no fly zone geofence will it effect my flying??

Hopefully this is not the beginning of the end.
I trust Autel knows that their market share would be about zero if they introduced DJI style geofencing. There would be NO reason to buy Autel if they did that.

Hopefully this is not the beginning of the end.
I trust Autel knows that their market share would be about zero if they introduced DJI style geofencing. There would be NO reason to buy Autel if they did that.
was it dji or autel who had a sub-250 drone with oa in february?
was it dji or autel who had a 5k/8k camera on a drone few years ago?
was it dji or autel who had missions/waypoints in their best drone?

i can think of many reasons why someone would want to buy an autel because the dji does not currently have what they are looking for....yet the dji gets it later. not everyone is adversely affected by geofencing, i personally have no problem with it, my dji drones fly just fine 95% of the time. i would not forgo my autel evo 3 purchase if they included "dji-style" geofencing. wouldn't be happy but i wouldn't necessarily drop them.

i don't believe autel will implement unless forced to do so.

Reactions: gschulzuio

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller