Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Geofencing has arrived

Missions work perfectly. So if that's your bread and butter your still un touched by this.

Anything on the mission side of the app is still just as it always has been.

The only thing that's not are the intelligent flight modes under camera. So things like the smart orbit, dynamic track, ect.

I'll be working with bladestrike here in the next week, because there may be some miss communication happening. And this very well could be just a resurface of a previously patched bug.

I'm sure well both provide an update once we've found the final answer.

Wow. I have been thinking about adding an Autel to my collection, but just put on the pause. I occasionally fly solar inspection missions at several airfields. Yes DJI unlock is painful, but I don't want to fly mapping missions manually.
Mission planning is not touched.. orbit seems to be an issue but you can accomplish the same by doing waypoint with POI.

Please stay tuned for more information at the beginning of next week.

I want to make it clear Hard NFZ has not been activated. This is currently only intelligent modes that are in question.

Last edited:
Update, this error with orbit intelligent flight mode is in the process of getting fixed. We are working with the Op and others currently, collecting data.

Until then on should be able to use waypoint with POI to achieve the same functionality.

I suspect the No NFZ functionality of Autel's drones is a significant reason buyers purchase Autel. It's not the primary reason, but it's high on a buyers list of reasons to buy Autel.

What reason(s) would cause Autel to suddenly create a system like DJI. If they don't need to create a DJI NFZ locking system, they shouldn't do it. If some countries ban imports due to the lack of a NFZ restriction system, then Autel should only install the system in drones imported to those specific countries only. But, to my knowledge, no country requires drones to have a DJI like NFZ system in their drone apps.

It would be a very bad business decision, if Autel implemented a DJI like NFZ lock system. There is no reason to do it, unless liability issues are a significant concern or sales in certain countries is prohibited without a NFZ lockout system in place. Otherwise I say, If it's not broken, don't fix it. Letting pilots see GEO Fencing maps was a great idea. But, There is no need to take it further. The NFZ maps being visible are good enough. They at least let a user know if they should get LAANC approval. LAANC being in place, is prevention enough. Physically locking drones out of controlled airspace shouldn't be done, unless a country requires it for drone imports.

Not even China?
I believe its China and Japan only...but someone correct me if I am wrong. No idea if this is for all drones in these countries, or just the more powerful ones. I can't imagine that the cheaper, beginner drones would need to be geo fenced as a sales requirement.
I think Autel is doing this right, unlike DJI. Its always been my opinion a drone application should warn the pilot about NFZ as a reminder, but in no way should limit the flying in that area, since you are required to get permission. That permission should have nothing to do with the drone maker determining to approve or disapprove. That permission should only come from the authorities who regulate the air space.
Always, you the pilot are responsible for what you do when in the air....never the drone maker, especially ones that are required by CCP law to turn over any and all user data collected upon request.

I believe its China and Japan only...but someone correct me if I am wrong. No idea if this is for all drones in these countries, or just the more powerful ones. I can't imagine that the cheaper, beginner drones would need to be geo fenced as a sales requirement.
I think Autel is doing this right, unlike DJI. Its always been my opinion a drone application should warn the pilot about NFZ as a reminder, but in no way should limit the flying in that area, since you are required to get permission. That permission should have nothing to do with the drone maker determining to approve or disapprove. That permission should only come from the authorities who regulate the air space.
Always, you the pilot are responsible for what you do when in the air....never the drone maker, especially ones that are required by CCP law to turn over any and all user data collected upon request.
Not even China?
I checked Google. I couldn't find anything that requires a drone's software or hardware to restrict it's flight. Nor did I find any drone sales banned if a drone does not have a DJI like restriction system installed. You have to follow the laws yourself, just like any other country. The drones themselves aren't required to have a failsafe restrictor in their hardware or software.

I checked Google. I couldn't find anything that requires a drone's software or hardware to restrict it's flight. Nor did I find any drone sales banned if a drone does not have a DJI like restriction system installed. You have to follow the laws yourself, just like any other country. The drones themselves aren't required to have a failsafe restrictor in their hardware or software.
If anyone can find otherwise, please let the forum know.

Reactions: Quad808
I'm happy to report, we were probably victims of the classic IT fix it trick.

Worked with Ken to come up with a flight test plan to document our lock out, and the aircraft preformed flawlessly.

We receive an initial NFZ alert on start up. Which soon goes away, and intelligent modes seem un effected after the message clears. On the flights causing the issue prior, the NFZ message was not clearing.

New SOP will be to turn it off, and turn it back on if issues like this arrise.

Reactions: G_G and Quad808
Depending on where you fly, you might start to see the first signs of autels geo fencing.

I'm going to be alittle vague here, but I work at an airport, and operate a fleet of Evo 2 v1s for various tasks around the field. Our airfield is marked as a no fly zone in autel explorer (for obvious reasons)

Intelligent modes are now locked out when operating in autels no fly zones.

We've reached out to autel, and learned this restriction is intentional, and there are currently no plans to allow an unlock of these modes while within a no fly zone.

Atleast with DJI, you can jump through the DJI unlock hoops and get going.

Just wanted to do my duty to pass on this newly learned info to other users.

Manual flying in no fly zones is all you get. Which isn't terrible, but depending on the project those intelligent modes sure were nice.
Depending on where you fly, you might start to see the first signs of autels geo fencing.

I'm going to be alittle vague here, but I work at an airport, and operate a fleet of Evo 2 v1s for various tasks around the field. Our airfield is marked as a no fly zone in autel explorer (for obvious reasons)

We've reached out to autel, and learned this restriction is intentional, and there are currently no plans to allow an unlock of these modes while within a no fly zone.

Manual flying in no fly zones is all you get. Which isn't terrible, but depending on the project those intelligent modes sure were nice.

Can the new firmware with geofencing allow the pilot to fly over 150m in height restriction area that DJI can't fly over 150m?

Autel drones always have had geo fencing data, but its not enforced, unlike DJI. With Autel you only get warnings/info about where the drone is flying....as it should be.

Reactions: wjc777

Is gps available in no fly zones?? Can I input coordinates or have it go to waypoints in nfzs?

I was able to fly my Evo 2 near my local airport's runway. (We're allowed to do so, as there is a reserved flight area for model aircraft.

I was able to use all intelligent flight modes, including Orbit/Smart Orbit. I'm using the latest beta firmware, and I received a No Fly Zone warning on the remote's display.

But, there's an annoying bug that basically bumps the gimbal sensivity to 100% once you're doing an orbit/smart Orbit, that basically ruins the shot if you're trying to do a manual adjustment whatsoever.

There are no nfz, just warning zones.
Can you please clarify what you mean by that?
My understanding is that Autel has already implemented NFZ maps in the U.S., but currently only warns the pilot they are in one, rather than actively prohibiting flight within them. Is that correct?

Can you please clarify what you mean by that?
My understanding is that Autel has already implemented NFZ maps in the U.S., but currently only warns the pilot they are in one, rather than actively prohibiting flight within them. Is that correct?
An airspace database has been incorporated into the latest firmware in order to provide warnings. There are no restrictions to fly, thus, the term "NFZ" is not appropriate. Autel has stated that there would be no restriction unless actually mandated by governing authority. In the US, there is no talk of geofencing as a requirement, therefore, no restrictions from Autel.

Reactions: Blade Strike
An airspace database has been incorporated into the latest firmware in order to provide warnings. There are no restrictions to fly, thus, the term "NFZ" is not appropriate. Autel has stated that there would be no restriction unless actually mandated by governing authority. In the US, there is no talk of geofencing as a requirement, therefore, no restrictions from Autel.
Do those warnings not specifically refer to No Fly Zones, that should not be flown in without proper authorization, despite the fact that Autel currently doesn't enforce them, making the term NFZ highly relevant?

DJI also stated that GEO would always be optional when it was first introduced, but then made it compulsory. What makes Autel any different? What Autel states today could easily change tomorrow. Frankly, a single well published incident with an Autel drone is all it would take for Autel to also decide to flip the switch in the U.S., and turn their warnings about FAA NFZ's into compulsory NFZ's, since the NFZ maps have already been compulsorily installed. The Trojan horse is already inside every Autel drone.

I specifically own both an EVO and and EVO 2 Pro because of their lack of GEO, but I can also read the handwriting on the wall. I'm a realist.

Last edited:
Do those warnings not specifically refer to No Fly Zones, that should not be flown in without proper authorization, despite the fact that Autel currently doesn't enforce them, making the term NFZ highly relevant?

DJI also stated that GEO would always be optional when it was first introduced, but then made it compulsory. What makes Autel any different? What Autel states today could easily change tomorrow. Frankly, a single well published incident with an Autel drone is all it would take for Autel to also decide to flip the switch in the U.S., and turn their warnings about FAA NFZ's into compulsory NFZ's, since the NFZ maps have already been compulsorily installed. The Trojan horse is already inside every Autel drone.

I specifically own both an EVO and and EVO 2 Pro because of their lack of GEO, but I can also read the handwriting on the wall. I'm a realist.

If you want to get techical, there is no airspace in the US termed "a no fly zone". There is various restricted and controlled airspace. A "no fly zone" with regard to geofencing is a coordinate defined area in which the aircraft will not fly. There are no NFZs enforced in the US by Autel.

I currently have 7 DJI craft that have geofencing on them today. A sure thing. My Evo 2 Pro does not.

Could Autel break their promise some day? Of course it's possible. If you are so concerned that it might happen that you don't ever update the fw on the craft you have, then great, no problem. Nothing forcing you to update. It's a personal choice that each of us must make. If it does everything you need without any updates then you're all set.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy