Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Geo Fencing Poll

How important is No Geo Fencing to you?

• Total voters

Autelguy

Reaction score
One of the primary reasons for buying the Evo is the fact that there is no Geo Fence. To me this is a major factor in my buying decision process. I'm curious how important it is to you.

Reactions: Maxheadspace
Agreed, the Anafi is a valid option, so far anyway... GeoFencing is hated by all DJI owners I know in Hawaii. Why? Lots of airports, even small ones, and military bases. Flying is tougher when fenced-in... I can fly anywhere, I’m aware of the flight patterns and avoid going anywhere near them. I had a DJI owner get really pissed at me, only because I could fly where he couldn’t....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy Molnar
the Evo does have GeoFencing but nothing as extreme as the Dji brands

I refuse to buy the EVO till all the things that are wrong with it are fixed. Paying over a $1000 bucks for something that does not work out of the box is not what I do. I have been into Quadcopters since early 2014. My first being a Yuneec Q500. Built a few DIY Quads but liked the Autel X-Star for the camera. Was disappointed they dropped the X-Star but was going to give the EVO a chance but so fare I am not impressed. I have been involved in the UAV community since 2014 on various forums, moderating on a couple so yes I have been around. I will not be a beta tester for any new UAV product as I was with the X-Star, they screwed me once and not again. :)

OK people... lets keep this on topic please. I have cleaned the thread, please don't mess it up again. Thanks.

Stay-on-topic.jpg

DJI geofencing can be turned on & off but either way, it is still prevented from start up in certain situations (example, at the runway of an active airfield) . DJI users have the option to get a NFZ cleared for them. DJI does not prevent you from flying in the 5 mile radius of airports, it is up to you to notify the airfields you are in close proximity.

Reactions: SRJ_North East_CT
Call me ignorant but I didn't learn about geo fencing until about a couple of months ago. It is very important to me to be able to fly without any boundaries however I do understand why it would enforced/limited to certain ares such as near governmental agencies/facilities/buildings. I think it is very important for a flyer to know what geo-fencing is and but for some flyers like me who learn on the go - it may be beneficial for us so we don't accidentally violate any airspace that we are not suppose to. It's been 2 years since I have been flying and although I use my common sense (some people may not lol)...... I know more about flying than 2 years ago in a manner of speaking.

You are correct. Many users have never owned an RC aircraft and have no knowledge of the rules. That is why manufacturers add it in. DJI can be overly restrictive in certain situations. They do allow a self certification for certain areas where it is prevented from starting. One place I fly is near an old grass strip that hasn't had a plane on it in over 30 years. It still shows up and warns me and then I have to check a box off to prove I read the warning. Then you fly as normal.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
OK people... lets keep this on topic please. I have cleaned the thread, please don't mess it up again. Thanks.

View attachment 2387

DJI geofencing can be turned on & off but either way, it is still prevented from start up in certain situations (example, at the runway of an active airfield) . DJI users have the option to get a NFZ cleared for them. DJI does not prevent you from flying in the 5 mile radius of airports, it is up to you to notify the airfields you are in close proximity.
I’m not doubting you, but If it can be turned-off, why do the 3 folks I know in Hawaii that fly DJI’s say they can’t fly within the ATC radius no matter what they try? Is it buried in menus? It’s a huge deal for them, b/c they must drive many miles to fly since there are few roads...

I’m not doubting you, but If it can be turned-off, why do the 3 folks I know in Hawaii that fly DJI’s say they can’t fly within the ATC radius no matter what they try? Is it buried in menus? It’s a huge deal for them, b/c they must drive many miles to fly since there are few roads...
Where do they live, which island as they all have different NFZ's. If it is a red zone you contact DJI to get an unlock code after agreeing to be responsible.
Here is the link - DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

The red markers are NFZ's. Those areas vary in size. Check the map in that link for more details.

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.09.33 PM✨.png

Reactions: HiloHawaiian

There are different version of no-fly zones for DJI. Most are check-box warning areas. Military sites are usually the most restrictive, and will not allow props to start (even indoors). Within a restricted zone, you need DJI to specifically unlock you.
DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

One of the major problems is that DJI only does circles. So legal flying areas don't line up with the DJI geo-fence.

Where do they live, which island as they all have different NFZ's. If it is a red zone you contact DJI to get an unlock code after agreeing to be responsible.
Here is the link - DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

The red markers are NFZ's. Those areas vary in size. Check the map in that link for more details.

View attachment 2389
Thanks, I will let them know. One the Big Island, there’s just not many roads, so getting out of the ATC’s is a 20 min drive. With all the lava flowing out in Puna, there’s an additional 15 mi radius NFZ...

Oh ya think about how much more tax money they can get from the extra land when it all settles down. I am sure there will be boneheads building their soon after the ALL CLEAR is announced LOL

Reactions: HiloHawaiian

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raeveren