Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Fitting Smart Controller to Rugged Case

I have the two layer rugged case, with the 2 full layers. Meaning, not the one for the Lifthor.

If the handle of the S/C is removed, it will fit in the lower level. I figure I can notch the bottom of the top layer for the joysticks to clear.

I also cannot tell how thick the very bottom layer of foam may be, but I don't think it's deep enough for the handle.

Glad for your thoughts.
I ended up leaving the handle on the back, and adding a layer of foam in the bottom tray; I took some measurements with the controller set to the right side of the tray, and drew out a slot for the handle on some painters tape attached to the bottom of the top tray. I cut the perimeter with an exacto knife, then used a trim router set to about an inch deep and followed the cut. The cut was really clean, and the top tray dropped right in. I use the 2 holes that are for the live deck antennas to store the joysticks, and it works fine. It actually took longer to write this than it took to do it lol

I ended up leaving the handle on the back, and adding a layer of foam in the bottom tray; I took some measurements with the controller set to the right side of the tray, and drew out a slot for the handle on some painters tape attached to the bottom of the top tray. I cut the perimeter with an exacto knife, then used a trim router set to about an inch deep and followed the cut. The cut was really clean, and the top tray dropped right in. I use the 2 holes that are for the live deck antennas to store the joysticks, and it works fine. It actually took longer to write this than it took to do it lol
If you post some pictures we’ll appreciate! 😎

Reactions: PingSpike
Well, here’s what I did. It’s not my most elegant piece of work but it works. Where you see the small hole go completely through, is under the standard controller. (Bottom left. The hole to the right is factory placed for the a/c.) The controller rests on it’s folded in arms, so it won’t contact the joystick. I decided to go all the way through just so I can ensure the joystick wasn’t touching the bottom of the foam.
The other hole goes under one of the batteries. I removed that entire first layer.

I suppose I’ll put a microfiber towel or something over the controller while it’s in there, but perhaps an idea would be to glue a thin piece of foam On the bottom of the top layer to protect the controllers screen.

I ordered a couple thumb screws today and will update the group once they’re in. They should allow rapid installation of the handle should I want to use it.
Following.....

Of course! With the handle removed, I believe a couple of notches on the bottom of the upper layer will allow this to work.

But...if I want to use the handle or the lanyard, it would to be put back on. (I don't know that I will....) Looking into a pair of thumbscrews to attach quickly if needed/wanted..

Was able to determine that the very bottom layer of foam is 1/4". Not enough for the handle to fit..
Following

If you post some pictures we’ll appreciate! 😎
Here are a couple of pictures showing the slot location and the joysticks stored in the holes for the live deck antennas. The slot is 8" long, and the bit is an 1/4" upcut router bit; I cut it in 2 passes, the final depth being a little over an inch.

Attachments

• 20210830_120715.jpg
    20210830_120715.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210830_115908.jpg
    20210830_115908.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
I think that's the model I have. My mind's eye has me digging out two recesses concentrically and putting the stock controller in one, and the SC on top of it lying flat. But if it doesn't fit, no big deal. I have other stuff I need to schlep around I can use the case for.

I'm also looking for a decent backpack. Most of the drone-specific ones are well-designed in terms of fitting the drone and paraphernalia, but poorly-designed in terms of being backpacks for the kind of trails I have to hike. So I'm looking for something that's a good backpack first, even if it's less-than-perfect in terms of fitment. Probably a large DSLR backpack would be a better bet.
Yes that has been my quest this winter.been going to large camera stores been thinking about the dji bag .

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain