Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Firmware Update

Just talked to Autel CS and they went and approved who ever was waiting. You should be good to go I would think.
Thanks man; I'm in now as well. From the looks of things, I won't have to buy a DJI after all. :)

I just got an email from Dan at Autel support; much better customer service than my last interaction!

I may be the only guy who didn't know how the beta was going to work, but I know now and I'll share in case somebody else didn't know!

Simple: 5 guys were chosen for the beta. As Agustine mentioned somewhere else, they each got an XSP with the firmware already installed sent to them.

That's it. Beta closed. :)

The "public beta", says Dan, should be coming soon. (I'm not sure what that entails; but hopefully it just means we'll get the FW, sign the disclaimer, install it on our current birds, and go fly. Hope it doesn't mean we have to buy our own test birds!) "Soon", of course, is relative; and as mentioned previously, also depends on what the 5 guys decide with Autel.

We shall see...

Yes I was told the same thing. Health lawrence had mentioned a few minor tweaks that he wish to have but it was nothing major. So hopefully it will be out for us to try very soon. I know health has no problem so far with it. Eric Godfrey is a little more intense with his testing but seems also very happy with the update. The other guy I been following I have no idea how he became a tester as he has no idea on how to make a video so I will not mention his name just to be nice LOL

Reactions: TAMU1996
Yes I was told the same thing. Health lawrence had mentioned a few minor tweaks that he wish to have but it was nothing major. So hopefully it will be out for us to try very soon. I know health has no problem so far with it. Eric Godfrey is a little more intense with his testing but seems also very happy with the update. The other guy I been following I have no idea how he became a tester as he has no idea on how to make a video so I will not mention his name just to be nice LOL
OK, this is off topic but....just to be sure, Mr Lawrence's first name is Health, correct? Not Heath, but Health? I've never heard that first name before. Just curious, sorry. Back to the topic, thanks Agustine, for all the info we are getting.

From the few videos available and the poster's feedback, is seems the long-awaited "firmware update" does nothing to add capabilities (2x zoom, big whoop), but only addresses flaws the XSP has right out of the box. After months of waiting for some improvements, all we are getting is a box of band-aids for flight characteristic deficiencies that shouldn't have been problems in the first place.

Jilted, let down, that's how I feel...

"Autel Robotics - We've Been Working on a Few Things?" WTF good is the FLIR addition if only for entertainment purposes? I don't believe we'll ever see that, or the 1" sensor, make it to market. Folding landing gear? Dream on...

Could this be the last XSP firmware update we ever see from Autel?? (sigh)

[/rant]

A possible solution to your jilted feeling would be to sell your drone and purchase something from another company. It does not appear the Autel Robotics is going to change how they do business. Just a thought.
Also, I am curious. Just what sorts of improvements were you hoping to see in addition to improving the flight characteristics of the drone?

Last edited:
There are lot of people who want mapping added. I for one would have liked to see the 360 degree pano feature the Litchi app has for DJI.
Perhaps down the road but like already stated this update was so long in coming I will not hold my breath.
I am thankful for at least these small updates and looking forward to a smoother Yaw :)

A possible solution to your jilted feeling would be to sell your drone and purchase something from another company. It does not appear the Autel Robotics is going to change how they do business. Just a thought.
Also, I am curious. Just what sorts of improvements were you hoping to see in addition to improving the flight characteristics of the drone?

I knew someone would chime in with this, and I'm considering it....

• Mapping modes, primarily
  • Ability to override factory defaults for altitude/distance
  • Object tracking, as opposed to following the remote control
  • Ability to set waypoints beyond 1/4 mile from home point
  • Better braking
  • Improved range
  • More support from Autel for the SDK
Say you bought a sports car that claims 4-second 0-to-60 times and a cushy suspension. You believe the manufacturer's claims and purchase, yet discover that, brand new, the car won't even approach that number and rides like a brick on rubber bands. The manufacturer says to hold tight and wait until they get their proverbial sh*t together and can honor the original claim.

Months pass....with little to no communication from the maker, other than, "you're really going to like the new version of our product, trust us, it's improved in SO many ways."

Said updated is finally released and, while finally (maybe) satisfying their original claims, doesn't "improve" anything... Well, that was a whole lot of waiting for minimal return. Yeah, I'm disappointed.

Hmmm, the more I think about it, maybe I should have gone DJI to begin with. So much for supporting the little guys with better CS.... Thanks for opening my eyes. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've had similar thoughts, tamu1996, but as my goal is to get govt contracts, I can't see using a DJI product that sends info back to China.

So I'm thinking of DIY; but I'm pretty sure a ship built around a Naza or Wookong would probably also send info back to China...haven't been able to confirm that yet.

I don't know if a PixHawk would be better in this respect or not.

I'm really hoping Autel will come thru. Hmmm...I hope *they're* not sending into back to their China HQ; guess I should ask about that!

TAMU1996, I am assuming that from your emoji you believed I was being sarcastic. I was not. Your post indicated that your were not happy with the drone performance nor the company performance. Sounded like a good reason to spend your money with someone else.
I would love the improvements you listed and I know that DJI has some of these. Since DJI has been in business approx. 4 times longer than Autel Robotics, I will give Autel a bit more time and see how it goes.

johnf

Your answer Mr. Bama Dude is this.

Does not. Still 11, 22 and 33 in GPS, ATTI still gets up over 40mph. I did 45 the other day and was only on the stick for a couple seconds and never went full stick, had a catty corner tailwind of maybe 5 mph. One thing that did change is the quickness it gets up to the set speed, it has some pep in it's step now.

Aw shucks :(....but thanks for finding out. I knew you could do it.:) At least we got more pep! Wonder if they could give me some more pep?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials