Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Firmware Glitch?

NAntonio77

Reaction score
I was prompted to update the firmware on my Autel Evo II and downloaded EVO II V1: V2.7.25. I just flew it earlier today for a commercial shoot and couldn't properly capture what was needed. Why? Well, because some aspects of the drone was faulty: I couldn't reverse, the speed kept changing mid-flight on its own, and it swayed from side-to-side independently. I felt like I had no control of it 60% of the time. I never encountered these issues before. Then as soon as I updated the firmware BOOM!, all sorts of nonsense. Anyone else have these issues with their Autel Evo II after updating the firmware? If so, have you fixed it? Please share. Thank you.

2.7.25 wasn't too bad for me. I put the 2.7.30 beta on when it was posted. I'm still flying that on 2 Evo II Pro 6ks just fine. One bug is that you need to turn off obstacle avoidance when shooting pano's or it will lockup the video and not complete. Other than that I've not had issues. One other suggestion is always use manual white balance to prevent video flickering. Actually, setting everything manual so it doesn't adjust as the light adjusts is my preference. I tend to set it to auto to get its recommendations for settings and then flip to manual and use those settings.

It's been what--7 months-- since v2.7.25 came out? ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS recalibrate after an update (IMU, Compass, Gyro). Did you check all the FW modules against the list for FW 2.7.25 to see that they all updated successfully over-the-air? OTA downloads are not advisable; a download-to-.bin card reinstall may cure your problem. FW v2.7.25 also requires an update to the Explorer App-- did you? You don't mention what version of Explorer or which operating system. Finally, what were you expecting with updating FW you'd not personally tested and not calibrated prior to launching on a commercial shoot?

It's been what--7 months-- since v2.7.25 came out? ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS recalibrate after an update (IMU, Compass, Gyro). Did you check all the FW modules against the list for FW 2.7.25 to see that they all updated successfully over-the-air? OTA downloads are not advisable; a download-to-.bin card reinstall may cure your problem. FW v2.7.25 also requires an update to the Explorer App-- did you? You don't mention what version of Explorer or which operating system. Finally, what were you expecting with updating FW you'd not personally tested and not calibrated prior to launching on a commercial shoot?
Hello. Thank you for all this advice. Well, when I update the FW before I didn't do any of the things you stated and it flew just fine. Even better really. And I updated it to the card for that one. In all actuality, I assumed that updating OTA would do everything that was needed because that's how the guy made it seem in the YouTube instructional video I watched. He literally said, "You don't have to do anything else after this. You're good to go." Yes, I know what you're thinking and saying. "Wow, what a dumbass for listening to that guy." Yes, I'm kicking myself for it. Thankfully, I was able to re-schedule the shoot and the client was very understanding of what was going on. I'm going to update again but this time, straight to card, as well as, follow everything else you've presented to me. Thank you for your help.

It's never a trivial thing to update FW. I do so reluctantly, and usually wait a few days and look at the problems that crop up on boards like this one before updating. (Relatedly, if you're on Android, Autel Explorer v1.1.80 has fixed most of the bugginess of versions 1.1.7.91 forward. If you had one of those versions, I'd highly recommend updating it to v1.1.80 right away)

Reactions: NAntonio77
It's never a trivial thing to update FW. I do so reluctantly, and usually wait a few days and look at the problems that crop up on boards like this one before updating. (Relatedly, if you're on Android, Autel Explorer v1.1.80 has fixed most of the bugginess of versions 1.1.7.91 forward. If you had one of those versions, I'd highly recommend updating it to v1.1.80 right away)
Thank you. Yes, I'm currently updating all my batteries now. I'll post an update after updating them all and re-confirming and calibrating everything as you said I need to do :)

So, I updated all my batteries, went out yesterday and flew my drone, calibrated before of course lol, and repeated that for each battery. Everything went great except for calibrating the gimbal. I was outside, I was inside, I placed it on the table, on the floor, I leveled making sure the surface was flat, everything. The damn gimbal would not calibrate! I adjusted the gimbal in the section that has pitch, yaw and roll, and it still failed. With each battery. I decided to fly anyway and she flew GREAT! I couldn't see anything wrong with my gimbal with anything I did while flying and landing. I started her off in different parts of the location I was in, and when I returned her home, she landed perfectly in the same spot she left. And yes, the app installed is on the current version, too. And, I installed manually this time, not OTA. Oh yea, and before flying I checked the status of everything in the hidden menu, and for the gimbal it says normal.

Not sure why the failed message to calibrate gimbal pops up. Perhaps it's a message I can ignore for now being that I'm not having issues with it? Suggestions?

So, I updated all my batteries, went out yesterday and flew my drone, calibrated before of course lol, and repeated that for each battery. Everything went great except for calibrating the gimbal. I was outside, I was inside, I placed it on the table, on the floor, I leveled making sure the surface was flat, everything. The damn gimbal would not calibrate! I adjusted the gimbal in the section that has pitch, yaw and roll, and it still failed. With each battery. I decided to fly anyway and she flew GREAT! I couldn't see anything wrong with my gimbal with anything I did while flying and landing. I started her off in different parts of the location I was in, and when I returned her home, she landed perfectly in the same spot she left. And yes, the app installed is on the current version, too. And, I installed manually this time, not OTA. Oh yea, and before flying I checked the status of everything in the hidden menu, and for the gimbal it says normal.

Not sure why the failed message to calibrate gimbal pops up. Perhaps it's a message I can ignore for now being that I'm not having issues with it? Suggestions?
The same thing happened to me, I didn't calibrate the gimbal, but I realized that I had an ND filter on the camera, I changed it for the original lens and I already calibrated the gimbal well, I hope it was helpful.

1. After IMU calibration, make Auto calibration of Gimbal....then...
2. Take the drone in hand, powered on, point it to your monitor and put on monitor a chess board (black and white squares)...keep the drone in hand, does not matter if is inclined, as the gimbal is stabilizing. But stay in middle of monitor as sides and high with the gimbal, also far from monitor as 1 meter away is fine (try to cover all FOV of the drone with the model of chess board, to see any angles from gimbal are fine, select in Autel Explorer to show you all lines from "rule of 3rd").
3. Check if your chess lines from monitor is straight on your phone live screen...if is not, start manual adjustment and adjust it....

This method I use it on my drones and gives me a perfect level....of course, IMU was calibrated at COLD...around 5-7 degrees celsius (put the drone without battery in refrigerator for a few minutes, not kidding, then make IMU calibration using a table that have a wall - table is for horizontal, use table + wall as a support for drone legs in order to put the drone perfectly vertical).

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmccaskill