Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Explorer app issue and question

Doecliff

Reaction score
So my galaxy s20 won't connect to the app. I have tried several different cables. Reloaded the app and updated firmware. The app connects and the drone works perfectly with an iPad mini3. Any thoughts on downloading the apk? My understanding is the apk is for devices that don't normally have an app store or weren't designed to run that type of app.

So my galaxy s20 won't connect to the app. I have tried several different cables. Reloaded the app and updated firmware. The app connects and the drone works perfectly with an iPad mini3. Any thoughts on downloading the apk? My understanding is the apk is for devices that don't normally have an app store or weren't designed to run that type of app.
You can install apps via the .apk file on any android device. You will need to get your phone into developer mode first and then you can install the .apk

You can get the .apk from here:

That might not be the issue though. Can you open AE on your phone now, but it just doesn't connect?

Apk didn't work. Yes ae opens just fine, just won't connect
It sounds like it may be a USB default device setting that is incorrect on your phone. In other words, the phone is not letting the controller connect to it. Try searching for help configuring the settings for a usb device on your particular phone.

Have you ever used that phone with another usb controller or anything else?

Which version of Android, and Autel Exporer? Which model drone and firmware version?

Last edited:
AE app is 1.1.8.0 Firmware on evo2 V1 is updated to latest. The phone is model SM-G981V Galaxy S20. I'm fairly certain its like Dave Pitman mentioned and the usb port isn't enabled. Still working in that direction.

Have you tried swiping down from the top once the cable is connected an choosing the proper type of connection ?
Usually there are several choices that are proprietary to what you need to do.

Have you tried swiping down from the top once the cable is connected an choosing the proper type of connection ?
Usually there are several choices that are proprietary to what you need to do.
I will investigate that when I get home. Thanks.

I will investigate that when I get home. Thanks.
I forgot to mention to try a Data cable and not a cable just for charging.
Most of the time you will be limited by the choices you have of connection types that you see after swiping down.
Good Luck.

Reactions: Doecliff
Kinda curious to know how this turned out.
Currently out of town for a few days and it's pretty cold where I live so I was hoping it would warm up a little as well. My plan is to try to load the app on my wife's phone and see if it works to confirm it doesn't have anything to do with the drone. I'm pretty convinced at this point it's my phone and nothing else. I will follow up when I know more.

Here's the latest. My wife's galaxy s21 works fine, my iPad mini works fine as well. The problem is definitely my phone(galaxy s20). I'm not ready to get a new phone. It appears the usb c port isnt active except for charging or at least thats what i suspect. When I go to developer options there is a selection called default USB configuration.it appears that toggling this option will allow that port to work. when I toggle it on the leave and come back its always off. It says this setting will be applied when your phone is unlocked and connected to another device. So it seems to me I have to unlock my phone? Its a Verizon phone. I have a couple other things to try first.

• Sad
Reactions: GM Dave
I asked autel to close the job ticket on this. After a ton of research onYouTube, this forum, the internet and the Verizon store I've come to the conclusion that the app is not going to work with this phone. The model, hardware version and other factors and the alignment of the stars in the universe are all coming together to prevent the app from connecting. I have other options available, my tablet works fine but I think I'm going to pick up a galaxy S8 with no simcard. It has a 1000 nit display so it should work pretty good, I will only use it for the evo2. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
I asked autel to close the job ticket on this. After a ton of research onYouTube, this forum, the internet and the Verizon store I've come to the conclusion that the app is not going to work with this phone. The model, hardware version and other factors and the alignment of the stars in the universe are all coming together to prevent the app from connecting. I have other options available, my tablet works fine but I think I'm going to pick up a galaxy S8 with no simcard. It has a 1000 nit display so it should work pretty good, I will only use it for the evo2. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
You will do OK with the Samsung Galaxy S8. I have the Samsung Galaxy S8+ and it works great. I currently use it with the Beta Android app 1.1.7.93 Sep-27-2021 and works great. The Samsung Galaxy S8+ was my fist device I used with the EVO 2 with no issues or problems. I got it used Excellent condition from Verizon for $200.00. I also use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A Lite that uses Official Version 1.1.7.83 Jul-11-2021 that works great and Autel Smart Controller v1.
I was going to suggest trying a S8 but waited on what your next move was. I bought a protective anti glare film for it (Armorsuit Military Shield P#:320-574) to help with the sun glare.
I haven't found the right Sun Hood yet . I've returned two so far.
The brightness level is super good also.
Good Luck.

You will do OK with the Samsung Galaxy S8. I have the Samsung Galaxy S8+ and it works great. I currently use it with the Beta Android app 1.1.7.93 Sep-27-2021 and works great. The Samsung Galaxy S8+ was my fist device I used with the EVO 2 with no issues or problems. I got it used Excellent condition from Verizon for $200.00. I also use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A Lite that uses Official Version 1.1.7.83 Jul-11-2021 that works great and Autel Smart Controller v1.
I was going to suggest trying a S8 but waited on what your next move was. I bought a protective anti glare film for it (Armorsuit Military Shield P#:320-574) to help with the sun glare.
I haven't found the right Sun Hood yet . I've returned two so far.
The brightness level is super good also.
Good Luck.
Thanks. I choose the s8 due to its 1000 nit display. The used ones on eBay all said they had burned screens that you could see the icons etc permanently burned in the screen. I got a new in the box for a little more but I think I will be happy with it.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SycamoreGroves