Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO rear sensors working as obstacle avoidance in Precision mode

DroneHome

Reaction score
The first flight of my EVO last night ended in my garage. I was using precision mode, flew it towards the wall, and it stopped as expected. What I didn't expect was it stopping when I reversed it. I backed it away from the wall and towards me, and it stopped before it got to me, even with the stick all the way back, it wouldn't budge. Everything I read said the only mode that the rear sensors would stop anything in was novice or beginner mode (or Dynamic Track). Can anyone else verify this?

The first flight of my EVO last night ended in my garage. I was using precision mode, flew it towards the wall, and it stopped as expected. What I didn't expect was it stopping when I reversed it. I backed it away from the wall and towards me, and it stopped before it got to me, even with the stick all the way back, it wouldn't budge. Everything I read said the only mode that the rear sensors would stop anything in was novice or beginner mode (or Dynamic Track). Can anyone else verify this?
Although Autel hasn't said anything, the rear sensors activate when your drone is in Starpoint Mode. Mine does the same.

Reactions: DroneHome
Are we talking active VS passive sensing?
I am not sure what you mean, but the rear OA prevents the drone from crashing when flying in starpoint mode.

The only way to fly in that mode is if you are flying without GPS and within 30' from the ground.

From the Manual:

Rear Avoidance Sensor

Infrared transmitter/receiver on the rear of the aircraft that scans for potential obstacles.

So your aircraft was sensing your body using an infrared beam its sending out and bouncing back from you to the receiver sensor. I believe this rear obstacle avoidance is always active as there is nothing in the manuals or Explorer that I can find that indicates you can deactivate the rear sensors or they only work in certain modes. So they should always be working whether you are in GPS, ATTI or Starpoint flight modes. I would assume the field of view is relatively narrow with this sensor array and therefore it will only "see" things that are directly in line with the drone which pose a collision hazard.

From the Manual:

Rear Avoidance Sensor

Infrared transmitter/receiver on the rear of the aircraft that scans for potential obstacles.

So your aircraft was sensing your body using an infrared beam its sending out and bouncing back from you to the receiver sensor. I believe this rear obstacle avoidance is always active as there is nothing in the manuals or Explorer that I can find that indicates you can deactivate the rear sensors or they only work in certain modes. So they should always be working whether you are in GPS, ATTI or Starpoint flight modes. I would assume the field of view is relatively narrow with this sensor array and therefore it will only "see" things that are directly in line with the drone which pose a collision hazard.
You are correct in they being always on, but they only warn you of an obstacle. They will only stop the aircraft if flying in Dynamic Track or Beginner Mode. I only found out about Starpoint while watching my Evo drift in my living room and coming to a stop on it's own when it got close to a wall.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791