Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Lost

I don't know if Autel warranty or support can go beyond the country to where they sell it. I believe they sell their drones officially in the US only. I do not see any other centers from Autel in any other country, so not sure how warranty or support work if you are outside of the US.

Last edited:
the drone was originally purchased through the autel dealer in Queensland Australia, April this year
but now autel say there are no authorized dealers in Australia
so yes macoman I am in a bad position right now

the drone was originally purchased through the autel dealer in Queensland Australia, April this year
but now autel say there are no authorized dealers in Australia
so yes macoman I am in a bad position right now
I would ask the dealer if they can work something with you because they are not authorized and now you don’t have support from Autel. They should at least give you some kind of deal if they are honest.

This is a screenshot from a flight log of mine. I am in the latest beta firmware of Android.
Looks identical to OP's video. No idea what the bars are for.

I beg forgiveness. My bad... As a new EVO owner I'm still frequently referencing the PDF manuals for the drone and the Explorer app. And in my haste I went straight to the Explorer manual for a reference of screen displays instead of booting the tablet and app. What I found on Page 7 was a "modified" display of what is represented in the Flight Log display that OP and you have posted. What confused me was the Flight Log display shows a single line of flight data whereas the manual was showing the telemetry with a dropdown second line of information. I was trying to find some details on the bar graph next to the Flight Log GPS satellite counts. The dropdown line during real time flying shows RC signal strength and Image Tranx strength and the icon for Satellites but in that line there is no bar graph. So I've dug a little deeper.

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 4.54.03 AM.png

@Barney Let's look into some additional details that might lead to a new revelation and then again maybe a dead end. Note that as you view your running Flight Log video, pay attention to the bar graph next to the GPS satellite counts in the top line. That bar graph is actually representing the overall signal strength your Drone is receiving from the satelliltes. As as you can see, for a large portion of your flight time from launch to lost you were not showing any bar strength. That is a "strange" phenomena if you ask me. So I checked the manual and it says that if the GPS satellite link is lost the Failsafe will initiate a LAND ONSITE three seconds after the satellite loss. The lack of any strength during most of your flight is suspicious and needs further investigation. I looked over some of my own recent flight logs and they show 22 to 24 satellites AND a solid 3 bars of signal strength for the duration of each flight. And I am much further North on Earth than you down under are South towards your pole. So I don't see why your satellite coverage should be weaker than my high latitude location.

Screenshot_20190909-041112_Autel Explorer.jpg

You say you have owned the EVO for four months. So I will speculate you have accumulated quite a few FLIGHT LOGS going back to your first days of ownership.....I hope. Let's review one of the earliest Flight Logs you have on record and observe how many satellites you were locked onto and also what your bar graph signal strength was during the flights.

What I'm hoping to discover is your drone was receiving good signals and satellite counts as a brand new bird. And that will be much different than the latest flight log data. This would indicate that the Drone may have experienced a problem in the GPS antenna system in the unit and that caused a Failsafe event to initiate and the lost drone.

Another request....you said you had flown this lake mission 40+ times. Hopefully you have those logs too. Look them over and see what the Satellite count and signal strength was on those first flights in this area. It would be a smoking gun if those early flights showed good reception in the same area where the drone was now lost. Again a finger pointing to a failure of something within the drone internal GPS antenna and at 4 months old it should be covered under warranty.

Don't skimp on the details when you report back. LOL Maybe we will get lucky!

Oh I just love a good mystery! The calling I never pursued was as a forensic investigator~!

Reactions: Ansia
@Trox I know you mean well and you are trying to help, so don't take it wrong if I correct you. I just want for you to have the knowledge so you can continue doing what you are doing.

The Evo and all GPS drones need 8+ satellites to keep GPS locked on and know it's location. If it goes to 7 or less, it will switch to ATTI mode if you are 11+ meters or Starpoint mode if 10m or less. This will not cause the drone to disconnect and you will get plenty of warnings in your screen prior to this happening.

There are many factors involving gps satellites and location. You can fly in front of your house and get 20 satellites today, then fly tomorrow and don't get past 12, due to the constant rotation of satellites around the world, Kp, and cloud cover.

When I check my flight logs, I can see I have x amount of satellites, but my bars are always either 1 or 2, so although what you say is true, it's not what we are getting. Perhaps it's a bug in the Explorer app. I am not sure.

I concur with Autel's hypothesis of a mid flight collision.
Screenshot_20190909-124129_Autel Explorer.jpgScreenshot_20190909-124141_Autel Explorer.jpgScreenshot_20190909-124314_Autel Explorer.jpgScreenshot_20190909-124206_Autel Explorer.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Barney, post: 42410, membro: 3216"]
luogo di riposo finale dell'Evo
che triste !!
[/CITAZIONE]
:(:(:(

Are we allowed to fly drones over the water dam in prospect?
Also I wouldn't be using ludicrous mode unless I had some decent altitude,, I'd start at 120m and see how far it decides to ditch, if there's a strong wind it will start dropping altitude quicksmart. It's the one thing DJI drones can do at least (assuming nfz isn't grounding it) is maintain altitude even in heavy winds.

I too also purchased my Evo from "Autel Australia" by a fellow named Jeff Cheng. Looks like I'm stuck with a noisy RC if they've gone bust in Australia. There was also a guy called Jacob Mead who got involved and might be able to help you out. I'd imagine the real issue is shipping if they decide to help you out.

Usually without flight logs (unsure if the RC logs suffice) hard to say for sure what bought it down, whether it was a product failure or pilot error. If an ESC had failed midflight it'd be a warranty job.

I noticed in ludicrous mode my drone feels like it's ready to break when I land it, vibrating like crazy and in general odd looking. I use ludicrous mode sparingly as the Evo doesn't look like it was built to sustain it. The mavic seems to be a little more robust but also has an inferior camera.

Are we allowed to fly drones over the water dam in prospect?
Also I wouldn't be using ludicrous mode unless I had some decent altitude,, I'd start at 120m and see how far it decides to ditch, if there's a strong wind it will start dropping altitude quicksmart. It's the one thing DJI drones can do at least (assuming nfz isn't grounding it) is maintain altitude even in heavy winds.

I too also purchased my Evo from "Autel Australia" by a fellow named Jeff Cheng. Looks like I'm stuck with a noisy RC if they've gone bust in Australia. There was also a guy called Jacob Mead who got involved and might be able to help you out. I'd imagine the real issue is shipping if they decide to help you out.

Usually without flight logs (unsure if the RC logs suffice) hard to say for sure what bought it down, whether it was a product failure or pilot error. If an ESC had failed midflight it'd be a warranty job.

I noticed in ludicrous mode my drone feels like it's ready to break when I land it, vibrating like crazy and in general odd looking. I use ludicrous mode sparingly as the Evo doesn't look like it was built to sustain it. The mavic seems to be a little more robust but also has an inferior camera.
It depends by country. In the US most dams are considered infrastructure and we are not allowed to fly over. There is a list of which dams are considered somewhere in the FAA's website.

I am unsure about Australia's laws.

It depends by country. In the US most dams are considered infrastructure and we are not allowed to fly over. There is a list of which dams are considered somewhere in the FAA's website.

I am unsure about Australia's laws.
I'd imagine if be the same in Australia however not the first time I heard of sometime flying a drone there

yes I probably think you are not supposed to fly there
but all my flights bar one have been over that dam and most of the time in front of sydney water personal
no one told me to go away so I continued to fly there and was flying with two other drones most of the time
flying was on week days only, not on weekend when all the public are there.
on that fateful day in august the DJI pro 2 and the spark returned home without me
still crying !!!

only the evo
mates i fly with have the pro 2 and the spark

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials