Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Recommendations to locate my Autel submarine?

DocFlyboy89

Reaction score
A year ago I lost my EVO Pro II when flying over my small inland lake, the battery went from 65% to 5% in a matter of 14 seconds. Fortunately I have all the data from Airdata and all batteries were within 1/1000 of a hold of each other, temperatures are normal, operating conditions normal. I’ll never figure it out because everything looks great from all of the Airdata.

The one good thing is that according to the Splash site on my data, my drone should be somewhere between 8 to 12 feet from shore(but GPS data of last signal and the site under water may be very different). However, last year I went out in my swim trunks on the property of the owner with his permission and him standing there unfortunately I was not able to feel there is lots of Lake weeds and that wasn’t surprising.

Would anyone have any recommendations for a more efficient way to search in anything from 3 feet of water to 6 feet of water? Freshwater, inland lake, Michigan? Or is she gone forever?

A year ago I lost my EVO Pro II when flying over my small inland lake, the battery went from 65% to 5% in a matter of 14 seconds. Fortunately I have all the data from Airdata and all batteries were within 1/1000 of a hold of each other, temperatures are normal, operating conditions normal. I’ll never figure it out because everything looks great from all of the Airdata.

The one good thing is that according to the Splash site on my data, my drone should be somewhere between 8 to 12 feet from shore(but GPS data of last signal and the site under water may be very different). However, last year I went out in my swim trunks on the property of the owner with his permission and him standing there unfortunately I was not able to feel there is lots of Lake weeds and that wasn’t surprising.

Would anyone have any recommendations for a more efficient way to search in anything from 3 feet of water to 6 feet of water? Freshwater, inland lake, Michigan? Or is she gone forever?
Use a large net and sweep it along the bottom in the area where the drone went down.

Reactions: ethelsnakes
TBH I'd not have posted this thread given the current news 😞

What I would suggest is the use of a metal detector. There are some made to work on land as well as in the water. I have one which is waterproof and can operate fully submerged. It is a Garrett AT-PRO. You should search for a metal detector club or group in you area and they would probably jump at the chance to help recover a lost item such as this. Or you could try a sporting goods store that sells hunting and fishing equipment as they also usually sell or rent metal detecting equipment and supplies. Or they may know of someone who has the equipment to use. If that doesn't work out for you then try a gold/silver dealer or coin shop. They are often connected to people or groups who hunt with metal detectors. A large conductive item such as a drone should be fairly easy to locate with a metal detector at quite some distance away (one or two feet). If I were closer to you I would come over with my equipment and help. Another option is to drag a large magnet around on the end of a rope. I've seen lots of YouTube videos of guys finding all sorts of things by magnet fishing. Don't give up hope. This is not gone forever.

Get someone with scuba gear. Should find it rather quickly. Stirring anything on the bottom will raise silt and you will lose all visibility. Dragging a net will be in the blind and you will need to cover every inch until you find it. And that is still a gamble as you will never know if you covered every inch of the area.

That’s a good idea. I just don’t know anyone. But I like that idea too!

How about someone takes you out in a rowing boat and you look over the edge using a jam jar or similar? If the water is clear enough then you may spot it. Being in a boat means that you won't disturb any sediment.

Take a small bouy with a weight on the end of a rope and drop it at the crash site so you can find it again when you wade or swim in.

Another good reply. I do know that the bottom of this lake is “mucky”. Plus areas of freshwater weeds. Some thick other areas not.

But I think I will travel up there with at least a mask and snorkel myself.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Another good reply. I do know that the bottom of this lake is “mucky”. Plus areas of freshwater weeds. Some thick other areas not.

But I think I will travel up there with at least a mask and snorkel myself.

Thanks for the suggestions everyoneI I like the row boat too! Can you borrow a small Kayak. You could paddle that around all day if need be. Could even take a lunch on board. If you did the row boat, Just go in the water with a dive mask and snorkel while hanging onto the back of the boat being towed around. Would not be raising any muck doing that either. Having your face in the water would eliminate any reflection you would get as if glaring into the waters surface. Lose a lot of visibility.

It's really more of a submersible than a submarine. Once it enters the water, it loses all navigation capability. That being said, the recovery methods recommended above work well on all brands and types of drowned drones!

Get someone else to run a mission over the area with their drone. ..might be able to see three feet into the water without any probs.

Over a year in a Michigan lake!!! Why do you even want to recover it? It would be worthless and more headaches than anything.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo