Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo II Pro would not format SD cards

rcol

Reaction score
This afternoon, during our third test flight, we attempted to use existing micro SD cards (32gb samsung) and tried to reformat two separate cards.
They would not successfully format. Lucky we had a spare 16GB card, and this one formatted.
Otherwise we would have driven out 50 miles for nothing.

Anyone else had this experience?
Who do we contact to report this problem.

-- rick

You could also try formatting it in a phone/tablet. Would be a shame if you thought you needed a pc and drove all that way. As HiloHawaiian pointed out, Autel told me the same thing and I've always done it that way and it has never failed.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Don't. Android doesn't support formatting exfat and you don't want to format fat32. Perhaps IOS can do it, but i wouldn't count on it.
I did not know that. Thanks for pointing that out. Just thought it might be an option.

Ok, since you said that, it got me interested to find out. It seems ever since KitKat If it's a sdxc card it will automatically be formatted as exfat. There are also apps on the playstore that can do it.

Ok, since you said that, it got me interested to find out. It seems ever since KitKat If it's a sdxc card it will automatically be formatted as exfat. There are also apps on the playstore that can do it.

It can mount and read exfat since KitKat, but to format you need third party tools.

Reactions: Tufargon
I had no idea bout this. So, format in exfat on PC....I plan on using 128G and 256G cards in the Evo II.

Just wanted to note that a Samsung EVO microSDXC card comes PRE-formated in exFAT.

Plan on Using 512GB

Although, after a bit more digging, maybe not enough yet, but the Pre-installed 32GB microSD card is formated in FAT32 (NOT exFAT). So, anyone want to clarify? maybe it has already been mentioned on these boards.

I'm betting its supposed to be FAT32. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Just wanted to note that a Samsung EVO microSDXC card comes PRE-formated in exFAT.

Plan on Using 512GB

Although, after a bit more digging, maybe not enough yet, but the Pre-installed 32GB microSD card is formated in FAT32 (NOT exFAT). So, anyone want to clarify? maybe it has already been mentioned on these boards.

I'm betting its supposed to be FAT32. Thoughts?
Mine is formatted as exFAT. I formatted it using the drone. It's a 128Gb card.

Reactions: motch6
Mine is formatted as exFAT. I formatted it using the drone. It's a 128Gb card.

It looks like after doing some more research, exFAT may be far superior for the file SIZE ability over FAT32. I wonder why the pre-installed SanDisk Extreme 32GB (V30) card would be formated in FAT32 though. I guess they assume you won't do files larger than 4GB?!?

I can see capturing at 8k blowing by that pretty fast. (therefore exFAT being the better route). Thanks for the info.

That being said, they are recommending using a V90 card (one that won't drop below 90MB/s when writing). Therefore my Samsung EVO 512MB U3 (will drop as low as 30MB/s), won't be great, just good. Although, the SanDisk they have pre-installed is a V30 rated (essentially the same rating, so that baffles me too, ha :p.

May change my mind on speed and size... Are you finding the 128GB card being enough space? or are you needing to swap it out and off-load it a lot?

It looks like after doing some more research, exFAT may be far superior for the file SIZE ability over FAT32. I wonder why the pre-installed SanDisk Extreme 32GB (V30) card would be formated in FAT32 though. I guess they assume you won't do files larger than 4GB?!?

I can see capturing at 8k blowing by that pretty fast. (therefore exFAT being the better route). Thanks for the info.

That being said, they are recommending using a V90 card (one that won't drop below 90MB/s when writing). Therefore my Samsung EVO 512MB U3 (will drop as low as 30MB/s), won't be great, just good. Although, the SanDisk they have pre-installed is a V30 rated (essentially the same rating, so that baffles me too, ha :p.

May change my mind on speed and size... Are you finding the 128GB card being enough space? or are you needing to swap it out and off-load it a lot?
Even if you have it formatted with exFAT, videos will continue to split at the 4GB size. With my Sandisk V30 card, I find that I can fly my full set of batteries and still have space left. It's a bit overkill, then again, I record at 4K60. Don't have the Evo II yet. The card needs to write at 125Mb/s for 6 or 8K, therefore technically a good V30 card will get the job done. My Sandisk 128 V30 card is capable of 70MB/s without dropping.

Compatibility. exFAT was proprietary for a long time.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d