Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II Buyback or Upgrade Plan

@gschulzuio Thank you for that detailed information. I have long term 107.41 authorizations in numerous B and D airspace in my tri-state region.

I will use your advice to explore those DJI options. It would be especially useful with the M300 for a number of reasons.
Most of my 107.41 authorizations are blanket airspace authorizations for that specific airport.

Do you know if that will cause issues with the process you have outlined in bullet point “c)"?

If I experience difficulties, may I reach out to you directly?

Thank you.
No worries, feel free to DM, as for item c) e.g. radius of unlock zone, around or less than 29km seems to work. Btw, in addition to including the major airports (e.g. B, C, D, E) there are some areas in G have seen DJI lock due to extended approach zones for larger airports, in which case if outside your normal blanket unlock, then need an additional unlock area.

Oh I agree, I am just saying it could be worse. Personally I've never needed or expected any warranty service since 2014 and every drone acquisition has paid for itself many times over.

I think we both already know how Autel is going to handle this and its going to involve leaving you high and dry.

They actually do have an Autel employee @Blade Strike who they hired specifically to monitor forums like these in addition to other customer relations type duties and he may see this forum post and bring it to Autel's attention. @mtaylor you may even want to try sending @Blade Strike a PM to bring his attention to this thread. Autel has had a lot of churn in leadership lately though, so not sure if customer service is high on their priorities list at the moment.
I don’t fully understand the ops concern regarding parts and such? But do understand the frustration.

The EVOII v1 will be supported with parts. The craft is 90% the same as v2, except for the radio chipset. The main drawback is the SC but then again that’s out of Autels hands, the chip is at short supply. Other than not being able to buy the v1 SC, the v1 sounds like it’s the best craft for use. The live deck is not available for v2.

I wish I could offer something on good faith but that’s above my rank and pay scale .

Once again the v1 is and will continue to be supported by software and repair services.

Regarding the support in the US, we are fully capable of ENTERPRISE support. I will also add that DJI enterprise support had more issues than I’ve seen on than the Autel side. With that being said, other regional support is lacking and I was just speaking to HQ the other night about this. There needs to be accountability in other regions.

By all means, this post isn’t meant to make you or anyone else to feel better but trying to provide a little more information on the subject.

Last edited:
I have my evo2 shipped back to me by FedEx ground after they replace the gimbal.

The package got lost. I asked if I could to be get an upgrade and they said no. They're sending me another EVO2 Pro 8K

I have my evo2 shipped back to me by FedEx ground after they replace the gimbal.

The package got lost. I asked if I could to be get an upgrade and they said no. They're sending me another EVO2 Pro 8K
What does this even mean? They're replacing something that was lost due to no fault of theirs, and you're commenting that they wouldn't give you an upgrade after replacing something they had no responsibilty to replace? What are you saying?

Reactions: aebiv
What does this even mean? They're replacing something that was lost due to no fault of theirs, and you're commenting that they wouldn't give you an upgrade after replacing something they had no responsibilty to replace? What are you saying?
the way I read it, package was lost containing v1. if this were January 2021, autel would send out another v1 to replace it (because there is no such thing as v2). however, it is October 2021 and there is a newer version of the v1 called the v2 and it's not an upgrade meaning you don't pay to get from v1 to v2. the poster kindly asked if he could get a v2 to replace his missing v1 and autel declines, probably because they have ample v1 supplies and officially, all they "owe" you is another v1 and there is no official process in place to turn a v1 into a v2 (other than goodwill). maybe some folks will be successful in such a request, others will likely not.....until maybe next year or later.

personally I don't see why they wouldn't honor the request as long as the missing v1 drone was practically new and recently purchased and as long as the owner was not asking for a replacement rc/sc as well (ie willing to source those on his own). however, not saying this happened but if you insist this an upgrade and the v1 drone sucks and is obsolete and/or you accuse autel of trafficking in discontinued good....depends on how you ask for it I guess.

maybe you can point out that you would like to buy the sc but you cannot because there are none available and if they shift you to the v2 they can bill/ship the v2 sc along with it. or you want to take out autel care so why cover a v1 for another year, etc. point is, if you cannot point out why it's a good idea for them, it's probably not going to happen. because according to autel, your v1/rc combination is just as good as any v2/rc.

What does this even mean? They're replacing something that was lost due to no fault of theirs, and you're commenting that they wouldn't give you an upgrade after replacing something they had no responsibilty to replace? What are you sayin
Oh, yes, need an upgrade for inconvenience. ¿REALLY?

Offering Money does wonders for when asking for upgrades!

What are you even thinking 🤔 geez

Sure. But there was insurance on it. They claimed $1099. Repair was $595

Oh, yes, need an upgrade for inconvenience. ¿REALLY?

Offering Money does wonders for when asking for upgrades!

What are you even thinking 🤔 geez
Sounds like you want to penalize Autel for the courrier's mistake. You're wrong.
They claimed the full ammount for the full replacement cost of the drone.
They kept the insurance money and sent you a brand new drone.
You're asking for more than you were owed. Greedy and wrong.
That's what you were thinking and it's distastefull.

Reactions: aebiv
For our company we applied the opposite approach. Because for us it all revolves around Live Deck. We have invested in a chain and work flow based on this particular setup. So we decided to get one of the last heavily discounted V1 aircrafts from a vendor in Spain to have it as a backup unit or use it for spare parts in the future.

Only real disappointment we are left with is never being able to get our hands on a Smart Controller for those V1 units. That was originally our plan.

By owning two identical V1 aircrafts we now also have the gimbals, the regular controllers all cables and accessories in double. The discounted price totaling just under 4k for two units and accessories made it feasible for us. Had we bought this all in early 2021 at full retail price with the same expectations we would feel sick to the stomach about it today like so many of us obviously do.

We hope to get enough jobs done while we sit out the V2 discussion and maybe get back in to the discussion when we talk about a V3 entering the market. We have no hopes for a cash back or free upgrade generosity, or even a fair% discount on the next Autel aircraft. 🙄

Furthermore it still would be cool if Autel at least assures the next line of EVO III or alike will use the same batteries as the EVO II. Interexchangabilty and a modular approach would be a USP and a reason for staying loyal to Autel Robotics despite this mess. Modular approaches would mean to also develop a fast swap plate, like a slide in and click or twist to secure any payload. My verdict, don't try to imitate DJI, think different. (Yeah that does sound like a 1997 Apple advertising. For those who don't know. That was their slogan when Apple almost went bankrupt).

For our company we applied the opposite approach. Because for us it all revolves around Live Deck. We have invested in a chain and work flow based on this particular setup. So we decided to get one of the last heavily discounted V1 aircrafts from a vendor in Spain to have it as a backup unit or use it for spare parts in the future.

Only real disappointment we are left with is never being able to get our hands on a Smart Controller for those V1 units. That was originally our plan.

By owning two identical V1 aircrafts we now also have the gimbals, the regular controllers all cables and accessories in double. The discounted price totaling just under 4k for two units and accessories made it feasible for us. Had we bought this all in early 2021 at full retail price with the same expectations we would feel sick to the stomach about it today like so many of us obviously do.

We hope to get enough jobs done while we sit out the V2 discussion and maybe get back in to the discussion when we talk about a V3 entering the market. We have no hopes for a cash back or free upgrade generosity, or even a fair% discount on the next Autel aircraft. 🙄

Furthermore it still would be cool if Autel at least assures the next line of EVO III or alike will use the same batteries as the EVO II. Interexchangabilty and a modular approach would be a USP and a reason for staying loyal to Autel Robotics despite this mess. Modular approaches would mean to also develop a fast swap plate, like a slide in and click or twist to secure any payload. My verdict, don't try to imitate DJI, think different. (Yeah that does sound like a 1997 Apple advertising. For those who don't know. That was their slogan when Apple almost went bankrupt).
I should had listened to that small voice that said don't feed the trolls. I'm moderate a site with over a quarter million people and I see this happen over and over again. Sorry for the feeding.

Last edited:
I should had listened to that small voice that said don't feed the trolls. I'm moderate a site with over a quarter million people and I see this happen over and over again. Sorry for the feeding.
I am not a troll, elf nor an oger. Just someone that has lost hopes for Autel solving this V1 vs V2 mess in a fair, customer friendly way.

Reactions: safetyPro
You posted that you had asked Autel for an upgrade on a public forum without fully explaining what you were asking Autel to do and are surprised by the responses?

I work as a retailer and deal with manufacturers all the time. Despite making requests for upgrades with some frequency, the response from the companies I work with is usually to replace the broken or missing item with exactly what you had.

They usually resist moving the customer to the newest version or a better unit, even when the customer offers money to do so. I think this is mostly because they have clearly written internal rules for how these situations are handled, and don't have the flexibility to make decisions on the fly.

I am with you on this one and feel that a lot of goodwill, word of mouth, and repeat business would be gained by allowing you and others to have a better path forward. It is some of the most effective advertising a company can employ. In Autel's case given the V1 / V2 debacle it would be especially well placed for retaining their existing customers.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
@gschulzuio If you are still available, I would like to understand more about that process you refer to in your posts here - the DJI unlock process for those having airspace authorizations.
Thank you.

@gschulzuio If you are still available, I would like to understand more about that process you refer to in your posts here - the DJI unlock process for those having airspace authorizations.
Thank you.
Sure, no worries, I responded to your DM the other day, what would you like to know more about?

There are still major US retailers selling EVO I packages. Autel makes a decent product at an attractive price point, especially the hobbyist, but their customer support and business practices fail to inspire consumer dedication.

The above is why my 2nd drone was the mini 3 pro and not the Nano + pro. While I really like my EO II V2, purchasing the nano was a non-starter.

The only way to get Autel to do anything is to take them to court. I will be I will putting in complaints with the FTC and CPB for there deceptive trade practices.

Stay toon for more.

Reactions: DroneRat
Agreed... based on history, the only realistic upgrade path will be the Evo III. You can hope all you want, but future use will be completely determined by availability of necessary ancillary parts (such as batteries). Backwards compatibility of future Evo III cameras with either Evo II version? Don't hold your breath. Vague threats and demands that something must be done to placate current customers will not change anything.

Autel is by no means alone in this... planned obsolesence is the most direct path for profitability for any of these companies. Period.
And you can't fix STUPID!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDroneTN