Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Fly Away? Run Away? Help!

Pupsocket. Try having the dog (if you have one) chase and fetch your boomerang. if the dog is smart it will wait at your feet for the thing to RTH

I had two fly aways with my Evo. Both with no stick control. I did contact Autel and they talked me through some measures like calibrating the sticks. The second fly away ended in crash in Nepal. I'm sure it has to do with the compass, which was giving me issues. I call it a suicide....ha ha. The drone was sent in for repair. I have been 3 months without a drone due to shipping issues. (Not Autel's fault) I echo what was said above about the fear of a fly-away that hurts someone. I will get the drone back in Ho Chi Minh, Viet Nam. Like the New Yorker, I will be hard pressed to find open space for test runs. The above scenarios make me even more nervous. However, with that being said, I need to study up more on all operating procedures. And....98% of the time I get incredible shots. I started with a DJI Spark, but was always fighting the geo fencing software, but it never flew away....hmmmmm.
You should be nicer to your drone, then it will stop trying to run away.

I am getting ready to use the Evo to get some shots of an excursion train that runs here. It is tight flying due to tree covered hills.
You guys are making me nervous lol.

I hope this helps. But when you fly over water the downward senseing system (optical flow system) has a hard time determining where is the ground, and it goes haywire. Thats way when you fly close over water you should disable the that part of system within the app.

Cheers Tank. I live on the coast and fly over water quite a bit. I was not aware you could disable those sensors. Should they be switched back to enabled for landing ?

So I was flying my Evo and just had it hovering over a pond in the woods not moving. I was just using the controller not another external device to see what the drone camera could see. Suddenly my drone started to do little circles and I know that this is what happens when the drone is about to do a fly away. Luckily when I realized this was happening I immediately tried flying my drone back and ended up catching it as it flew completely sideways toward me and hit the kill switch. Then 2 minutes later went to an open field to see if it would happen again, and nothing did. Can anyone tell me if this was almost a fly away or what could have possibly been happening? Thanks!

The beginning of "Toilet Bowling" is generally a dead give away that something bad is about to happen. You did the absolute right thing by getting it back to safety ASAP. Generally speaking, when this happens it's because the IMU and or compass is off for any number of reasons. On my Evo, a little bump on to a roof top was enough to throw the drone off and cause very erratic flight. What I wound up doing was re-installing all the firmware via PC, then recalibrating the IMU, the Compass, the controller, etc. I basically set it up like I did when I first took it out of the box. That fixed my issues and it's been rock solid ever since. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Flytechguy
I hope this helps. But when you fly over water the downward senseing system (optical flow system) has a hard time determining where is the ground, and it goes haywire. Thats way when you fly close over water you should disable the that part of system within the app.

Some claim this to be the case, but I haven't experienced it myself. I fly over water all the time and my Evo has never gone haywire.

I've been a victim of flyaways twice. On both times it did not behave as you describe. On one ocasion, it was hovering perfectly, then suddenly it took off away from me without any stick input.

The second time I was flying away from me and it suddenly steered right and started flying on it's own.

Never found out what caused it.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add. This was a Phantom, not Evo.
A friend's P4 did the same thing twice, first time was minor crash, second time right into a building wall, everything was ok suddenly took off left and no response crash! Fixed under warranty by DJI no charge at all, got it back in 3 weeks, hard to believe, the whole thing was hard to believe.

Reactions: Ansia
This is a perfect scenario as to why Autel needs to give us atti mode! Atti mode lets you control the quad on your own with no GPS. All DJI drones allow this! Why not us?

This is a perfect scenario as to why Autel needs to give us atti mode! Atti mode lets you control the quad on your own with no GPS. All DJI drones allow this! Why not us?
If you loose satellites it will go into atti mode.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blindhout