Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Crash/camera smashed

swings16

Reaction score
I am beginning to think that i f'd up in thinking that my Evo crashed because of human error..MINE...it may very well be the Evo's fault

Too late now as i sent my Evo to be fixed and am awaiting its return...$230 shy on my pocket

I forgot to put my Antennae up...i assumed that THAT was the reason it fell from the sky while i was less than 100 feet away and the Evo was less that 20 feet high

I heard a CRACK (it was the battery hitting the pavement) and i only realized that it was down was because i had my eyes on it and i saw it fall

ODD...the battery seems to fit so very tightly and secure

Would i be correct in assuming that even though the Antennae were not extended out that it would still be able to have a connection at 70 Feet or less away ?

Always flew here...never a problem with a connection....flew hundreds of yards away..no issues

Suddenly ...a short distance away...antennae not unfolded but the controller and antennae pointed at the Evo...and it suddenly fails ?

prior to this happening i was flying around this same area minutes before it crashing...flew perfectly for a few minutes and then loses connection and it crashes AND the battery is ejected ?

What the ?

From what you said in your previous post, you did not lock the battery correctly. When the drone pitches or rolls, with the vibration, it causes the battery to dislodge and fall off. Keeping the antennas folded will only cause range issues. I've forgotten to unfold them.

The batteries lock TIGHT...there is no in between...they snap in and you know it when it snaps in

It is only that i started to think about it...i thought it was caused by the Antennae not being in the up and pointing out position that caused the fall

The Evo was not far away...i am sure that i was close enough to have a connection for the short distance away from the controller

all water under the bridge...will never know...i ain't crying...i just was thinking about it...TOO MUCH

Thanks...another learning experience

Martin

Here is my thoughts on this. First off the battery is designed to snap in, front and back. If for what ever reason the back end did not fit properly the battery could have worked lose. I don't own the EVO but I do own the Anafi and have had that battery not lock in even after I heard it snap into place. Having your antennas down will not cause the EVO to just drop out of the sky. If the EVO lost connection it will either RTH or just land depending if it has GPS. So my thought is you either hit something to make it fall or the battery became disconnected and a lose in power caused your EVO to drop. If you are absolutely sure the battery was mounted solidly then I would be very concerned why the EVO lost power and dropped.

I am beginning to think that i f'd up in thinking that my Evo crashed because of human error..MINE...it may very well be the Evo's fault

Too late now as i sent my Evo to be fixed and am awaiting its return...$230 shy on my pocket

I forgot to put my Antennae up...i assumed that THAT was the reason it fell from the sky while i was less than 100 feet away and the Evo was less that 20 feet high

I heard a CRACK (it was the battery hitting the pavement) and i only realized that it was down was because i had my eyes on it and i saw it fall

ODD...the battery seems to fit so very tightly and secure

Would i be correct in assuming that even though the Antennae were not extended out that it would still be able to have a connection at 70 Feet or less away ?

Always flew here...never a problem with a connection....flew hundreds of yards away..no issues

Suddenly ...a short distance away...antennae not unfolded but the controller and antennae pointed at the Evo...and it suddenly fails ?

prior to this happening i was flying around this same area minutes before it crashing...flew perfectly for a few minutes and then loses connection and it crashes AND the battery is ejected ?

What the ?
I hope Autel gets your bird back to you quick. They have a good reputation on working fast, they received my controller, fixed it, and had it sent back out the same day from Washington.

Here is my thoughts on this. First off the battery is designed to snap in, front and back. If for what ever reason the back end did not fit properly the battery could have worked lose. I don't own the EVO but I do own the Anafi and have had that battery not lock in even after I heard it snap into place. Having your antennas down will not cause the EVO to just drop out of the sky. If the EVO lost connection it will either RTH or just land depending if it has GPS. So my thought is you either hit something to make it fall or the battery became disconnected and a lose in power caused your EVO to drop. If you are absolutely sure the battery was mounted solidly then I would be very concerned why the EVO lost power and dropped.

Well thank you kindly for your detailed reply...My Evo flew perfectly since day 1 until that crash...I am now leaning towards the assumption that it may very well be the Battery not being seated properly because of what you said .."Having your antennas down will not cause the EVO to just drop out of the sky "...i seem to recall hearing the loud sound of the battery hitting the ground and i believe now that it was probably not seated fully,Although i wasn't doing much with the Evo...i had just started and i was just getting the feel of the day,the wind,people near etc. and then i go over a fence and i hear a crash sound...Autel told me that they looked at the flight records...they didn't mention anything specifically...they put a new camera in...they upgraded all the firmware and also mentioned that they replaced ... EVO-Aircraft USB Port Cover...didn't know that THAT was damaged

HERE is what they sent from Autel after the repair

Hello Martin,

I have received your unit into repair and reviewed the aircraft and logs. I have determined the gimbal was damaged and needs to be replaced. Since this was a controlled crash this will be a paid repair. We always strive to provide the best possible resolution for you, and if you wish to move forward with this repair, please continue through the invoice to pay and confirm your shipping information. Please allow up to 14 days for the repair to be completed. I appreciate your patience through this process. As a courtesy to our customers all units coming in for repair will be updated to latest firmware version.

Thank you

If you have any other questions or concerns, do NOT reply to this email as it is not monitored, contact our customer service at 1-844-MYAUTEL, via email at [email protected], or via chat at our website here: EVO Help Videos

Order summary
Labor × 1
0.5 hour
$30.00​
EVO-Gimbal Complete Assembly × 1
$200.00​
EVO-Aircraft USB Port Cover × 1
xP-Lmj5FIIkNj4eu1gbZ9kqsg3fwJpNjvcybd1nRYWWZFhptQjobFTsvbMI0nER5AZkLqyyswSDZbyNBcD8Ckd4SEDMD9jbQIk_fBLUwnOEcOesmdlhtr_etYubnnl_SKXDfNB1GGQMH9BEHZtFO29qd8A8ZFdPw6qMkg3n7xL0dZVrtfxHTTvChCh9rHQrLi_AzOm6N_O_5MHg9jnmXUFzB=s0-d-e1-ft
(-$8.00)
$8.00
Free​
Subtotal
$230.00
Shipping
$0.00
Total
$230.00 USD

Controlled crash pretty much translate to that it wasn't a malfunction, but rather pilot error. I've crashed and lost drones before, so I can tell you that I've been there. All we can do is learn from experience and continue forward.

From what you said in your previous post, you did not lock the battery correctly. When the drone pitches or rolls, with the vibration, it causes the battery to dislodge and fall off. Keeping the antennas folded will only cause range issues. I've forgotten to unfold them.

I hear you..seems that it may very well be the culprit...Thought i did it like i always did scores of times before..i hear the SNAP/CLICK...and i'm good...never varied...confident that i'm LOCKED in...O well...may never know...no matter..Hopefully it will coma back as it was and for sure i will be more diligent and mindful of THE BATTERY being Totally seated AND that the Antennae are up and out like they should be...Thanks ALL...more info learned...a Good thing...Thanks ALL...Martin/NYC

Just had a thought!! (oh dear!!!)
If you were recording, when the crash happened and the battery came dislodged, it seems the recording would stop as soon as the battery came loose up in the sky. Can you check the video to see when it stopped?
butch.........

I've, found out quite a few times that my battery is firmly locked ..Anyone else had their finger skin nipped tight in between the battery and EVO body ? Yelp!

i missed
I've, found out quite a few times that my battery is firmly locked ..Anyone else had their finger skin nipped tight in between the battery and EVO body ? Yelp!

Never...maybe i SHOULD make sure it IS tight like you said..EXCEPT for the skin nip part...(similar to a PAPER CUT..OR...(ugh) a minuscule sliver + POINTED piece of wood the width of a pin UNDER the fingernail....Y I K E S !!!! THAT is the worst of all

Just had a thought!! (oh dear!!!)
If you were recording, when the crash happened and the battery came dislodged, it seems the recording would stop as soon as the battery came loose up in the sky. Can you check the video to see when it stopped?
butch.........
I flew into a branch and experienced an, um, "uncommanded landing". The recording stopped right before hitting the branch, and the video file date was set to 2013. If a file is interrupted before the file is fully written and properly closed, unpredictable things can happen. I'm just glad that the entire file wasn't trashed.

Funny that i just watched the videos of THAT day...The Crash/Battery popping out day

NOTHING...NO video leading up to the crash +the crash itself...i wish that THAT part was not erased (by the crash)

I DO have vids of the aftermath with me (with my fingers crossed )that showed me ( after sweating the the experience and hoping that all would be well)hang dog mug on...all a mess

BUT,IT STARTED UP !...it FLEW...YAY !..Ya f'n HOO...and then i see the camera doing a constant 180,..a .(360 ?) Over + OVER and over again non stop

constant over and over and i was filming all the while ...it shows me watching and shaking my head..Happy that it at least FLEW

as you know...so disappointed that the camera took the hit...i saw the look on my face watching the came constantly revolving and rotating..rrrrrrrr

waiting for its return...and will forever..#1...Totally secure the battery and double check #2...EXTEND the ANTENNAE fully and #3 NEVER vary the start up procedure

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
in84