Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drones disrupt flights around London airport.

mixchief

Reaction score
In the news today, Various drones spotted flying around the airport grounds force numerous flights to be cancelled. What are people thinking?

Too early for Christmas presents. Airport authorities have ruled out terrorists. But they're scared to shoot the thing down in case of collateral damage. But something doesn't fit: this drone is allegedly still in the air after a couple of hours. Maybe it's just a UFO.

Too early for Christmas presents. Airport authorities have ruled out terrorists. But they're scared to shoot the thing down in case of collateral damage. But something doesn't fit: this drone is allegedly still in the air after a couple of hours. Maybe it's just a UFO.
nope UFOs have very strict GeoFencing, NFZ at airports, well except for warp speed buzzing

One possible motive occurs to me. If,say, you were attempting to sell the airport/government a multi-million dollar drone “solution”, you would first have to create a drone problem. Is this too conspiracy-theorist of me? Proving such a linkage would doubtless be nearly impossible, but the logic seems to track.

Seems like a pretty stupid way to try and make a sale, specially considering the costs brought on by the stunt.

It’s one more example of idiots destroying the industry as we know it. Soon drones will have so many restrictions placed on them by Gov’t agencies DYING to get control of anything in the air. Think of it as the FAA being overtaken by Homeland Security. All drones registered, having transponders, and kill switches. It’ll be easier to buy an assault rifle...

I am surprised that the technology is not available to bring the drone down. I had understood all the major military powers were frantically developing anti-drone capabilities. Apparently the offence is ahead of the defense.

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Some learned comments question the validity of this improvised aircraft/drone crash. I did smile at: "What is really worrying is the damage that wing caused to the drone!"

I am surprised that the technology is not available to bring the drone down. I had understood all the major military powers were frantically developing anti-drone capabilities. Apparently the offence is ahead of the defense.
The technology is there, several manufacturers sell systems to various Gov’t’s. Of course you have to buy one ($$$), and train personnel to use it. I’m sure some smaller airports can’t afford it. The best ones are expensive and have classified elements — not for sale outside host countries. I think that’s why the Israeli system sells well, it’s proven, for sale to (almost) anyone, fairly inexpensive, and portable — perfect for airports!

Reactions: KentA
Hope it's not "fake news" Its about time
I don’t think so...Since 1000’s were stranded at Gatwick for hours, it shows what could happen in a larger coordinated attack. I bet anti-drone systems get deployed in many critical places in 2019...

Less than a week after mystery drones grounded flights at the U.K’s second largest airport, wreaking havoc on as many as 140,000 people’s travel plans for the Christmas period, police have admitted that there may in fact not have been any drones at all.

BUT they'll still stress the importance of the dangers... and spend the People's money buying technology that will intrude on their privacy. These "anti-drone" systems are nothing more than a wireless middleman to see and read the realtime data being sent along wireless communications without interfering with their transmission.... Until they decide to interfere.

Yea, I posted this story separately, but you make good points. It seems right now blaming drones is the flavor of the month/year. I’m surprised the media didn’t blame Trump’s election on drone interference in our sacred election process! :)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo