Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone pilot fly over of suspected chop shop

waltermitty

Reaction score
I read a lot of folks here posting video/links to perceived 107 violations and get all bothered by it.
I don't know the credentials of this drone operator but if he was in violation, I'd feel like he should
get a pass.

Is the 800 feet mentioned in the article a typo? Or are they just not showing the images that they are referring to? The video is clearly not at 800 feet. Maybe 40 feet?

Regardless, why should this drone operator get a pass if he were at 800 feet?

I’d say that the 800 feet is a typo. There’s no logical reason to fly that high. At 400 feet I can’t see or hear my EVO II Pro so it’s not to “hide”.

Last edited:
none of those videos are at 800 feet and it sounds to me like the excited reporter probably should have said 400 feet to be more accurate with a comment about flying at the top end, not because the video is at 400 feet but because someone mistook the top end.

six, as you know, the pilot may see 800 on the controller but isn't actually 800 agl hence there could be confusion when you have a bunch of folks discussing the incident and not knowing the facts. area looks flat but you know what i mean. also, i (anyone) absolutely can see/hear my e2p at 400 feet agl, you're joking right? if i am going to hide from the unaided eye, i'll need to be closer to 1000 feet to be sure...i found that out in mexico 5 years ago. ;)

as far as part 107 (im going to be controversial here), you need a part 107 if when you take off, your flight is not for fun and in furtherance of a business. if you take off for fun and 5 minutes into a flight, you start to notice unusual activity so you go hunting and searching, it's still a recreational flight because your intent when you took off was to have fun. the flight doesn't change into a part 107 half-way in the flight depending on what happens during the flight. however, if you drive to the nearby park and you launch your drone so you can get a closer look into a fenced in yard to see what these guys are doing, not sure if that's in furtherance of a business; debatable.

still, i believe the bigger picture here is police use of drones. this forum/thread is probably not the place but imagine if police can fly drones without a warrant and look around in order to develop probable cause....personally, i would never go to the police with this video and as you can see, police aren't even bothered/don't care.

Drove by the place out of curiosity. You can get an approximation of the spot in relation to traffic and airspace. Given the angles shown on the footage the camera
was no more than 75-100' AGL. The surface of the raised roadway is only about 60'.

47°32'28.90"N
122°20'6.82"W
(for your Google Earth edification)

Reactions: SixStarsDrone
none of those videos are at 800 feet and it sounds to me like the excited reporter probably should have said 400 feet to be more accurate with a comment about flying at the top end, not because the video is at 400 feet but because someone mistook the top end.

six, as you know, the pilot may see 800 on the controller but isn't actually 800 agl hence there could be confusion when you have a bunch of folks discussing the incident and not knowing the facts. area looks flat but you know what i mean. also, i (anyone) absolutely can see/hear my e2p at 400 feet agl, you're joking right? if i am going to hide from the unaided eye, i'll need to be closer to 1000 feet to be sure...i found that out in mexico 5 years ago. ;)

as far as part 107 (im going to be controversial here), you need a part 107 if when you take off, your flight is not for fun and in furtherance of a business. if you take off for fun and 5 minutes into a flight, you start to notice unusual activity so you go hunting and searching, it's still a recreational flight because your intent when you took off was to have fun. the flight doesn't change into a part 107 half-way in the flight depending on what happens during the flight. however, if you drive to the nearby park and you launch your drone so you can get a closer look into a fenced in yard to see what these guys are doing, not sure if that's in furtherance of a business; debatable.

still, i believe the bigger picture here is police use of drones. this forum/thread is probably not the place but imagine if police can fly drones without a warrant and look around in order to develop probable cause....personally, i would never go to the police with this video and as you can see, police aren't even bothered/don't care.

Definitely not 800' AGL or even 400' AGL, no more than 100' if I had to guess. Typical trees are in the 40-60' range and this video was barely above those.

Reactions: SixStarsDrone
Definitely not 800' AGL or even 400' AGL, no more than 100' if I had to guess. Typical trees are in the 40-60' range and this video was barely above those.
agreed; doesnt seem like the drone pilot was attempting to fly concealed. people on the ground would have easily spotted and/or heard that drone but something tells me that isn't going to deter them.

Reactions: herein2021
agreed; doesnt seem like the drone pilot was attempting to fly concealed. people on the ground would have easily spotted and/or heard that drone but something tells me that isn't going to deter them.

The EVO II with the quieter props is really quiet, with that highway directly beside the location it is possible they didn't even hear it; I agree though, the pilot wasn't too worried about getting caught. Apparently, the people on the ground weren't too worried about getting caught either.

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
There is more than a chance that the "chop shop" isn't anything more than a private operation that is being falsely identified. The presence of an old Honda Accord with similar color and no license plate doesn't make it the old man's car. Police should investigate and put this to bed.

The property is owned by local govt agencies who are now tripping over themselves trying to explain why this has happened on their property and their watch.

Gjht7cM.jpg

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller