Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Neighborhood Watch/ Surveillance : CAR CHASE of a suspected drug buyer with the EVO2 6k drone equipped with two 1500 lumen EDC spot lights.

A Bedtime Story--"Fun Flight Accidentally Films Drug Buy"-- I can't sleep so I'm writing this. It's fun. It might help me sleep. Maybe I'll fly my drone later. It's fun too. -- So, I'm sitting here and I can't sleep. Like usual. I'm bored. So, i say to myself. "You know what would be fun? Flying my drone right now at 2:15am." This might make me bored so I can sleep. And, it would be fun. So, I take my drone up into the air with anti-collision lights and ground spot lights (so I can see like I do during the day) as usual for fun. I can see the black bears and alligators better. So, I'm just flying around above my neighborhood, for fun ,because I can't fly beyond VLOS. Suddenly I see a strange car in the neighborhood. Then I say, watching the car on a public street would be fun. No bears to film yet. All the while not filming yet. Just bored, flying within VLOS, above my neighborhood, nothing else to look at, except that strange car on a public road for fun. Oh look, the car is driving up and down all the streets. That's strange. Maybe i'll go look at that part of the public street. It's safe, I can't blind a driver at 100 ft above at a steep angle. He would have to look up into the sky to see the bright lights. So I turn the drone, camera and lights which all move together in the direction of said car. While still looking for black bears. Oh, look at that, the car is driving away. It sure would be fun to fly to the side of the public street and follow him (off to the side) so I don't fly above any moving traffic. It's fun right. Just for fun. It must be recreational. It's fun. I have no documented surveillance reasons to be flying. I would never fly just to survey the neighborhood. I just happen to be there, because of VLOS and I am supposed to stay closer to my launch point at night according to the FAA, thus unable to leave the airspace above the neighborhood. Boy this is fun. Recreational hobby flying is fun. Darn, where are those black bears? I guess I'll take a few pictures of the street below for fun to show my friends how well my drone can see at night with spot lights. I can't help that their is a strange car in my view. Should I go over to a tree and take a picture of that? Nah, the car on the public street is more interesting at the moment. I can't get a pic of the actual person in the car or lic plate anyway. I'm too high. I can't get closer or lower because I'd lose VLOS. Ho hum, it's just me and my drone having fun, because I couldn't sleep. I have no formal declarations to surveil anyone or any part of my neighborhood. I'm just stuck here above it having fun, because I'm bored, can't sleep and have nothing else to do, while I wait to get sleepy again. HMMM, if I asked my neighbors if I could do voluntary surveillance of the neighborhood and for that reason only, that could be considered flying under 107. Not a good idea. I'll just keep flying for fun when I'm simply bored and can not sleep. I'll maintain VLOS and stay under 400ft, stay close by my home, stay above the streets so i don't crash on any houses, all the while staying in my neighborhood for fun. VLOS forced me to stay over my neighborhood, not my fault. I'm just having fun flying around at night. I also fly during the day to. With the same intent. Fun. I don't think I will show any video or pictures to my friends though. They may get the wrong idea of why I was flying. And I certainly won't title it "neighborhood watch/surveillance". That's very misleading. Maybe I'll title it, "Fun flight accidentally films drug buyer?" Maybe that'll be better. They may think my original intent wasn't for fun, or to help myself get tired, so I can go back to sleep. I just want to have some fun, instead of watching a crappy TV show. Drone flying is much more fun. My neighborhood is also surrounded by water canals. I can also have fun looking for alligators in the dark with their bright shiny eyes. The black bears too. They are a huge nuisance. They are always getting into everyone's trash cans. I can scare them off , if I see any. They hate my spot lights. Fun Fun.
Very good. We know you were just having fun. Hope you catch some alligators next time. I would have enjoyed the interesting car video too.

NEW VIDEO. RETURNING TO HOME DAYTIME FLIGHT -FOR FUN- IN MY OWN NEIGHBORHOOD. All the characteristics of this flight are the same as the night flight I originally posted, but removed due to people questioning it's intent. It's my fault by the way I titled and described it. I should not have embellished or used the words neighborhood watch or surveillance. The only difference between this flight and the night flight is, I didn't see any suspicious vehicles during the flight. The original intent of the originally posted video was for fun until I saw suspicious activity. It's fun to fly and even more fun when you see something not right in your neighborhood, so you watch it. IS IT RECREATIONAL BECAUSE OF THE ORIGINAL INTENT OR does it magically change to 107 BECAUSE I DECIDED TO WATCH A SUSPICIOUS CAR AND FOLLOW IT? To me it was just fun. But because I embellished to get people to watch the video, serious questions arose. SO, what's wrong with this daytime video? Flying for fun by the way, just like the night time video. Flying over houses is just par for the course when flying any type of aircraft by the way. It's not like I have a choice. I enjoy flying drones , period. Especially directly from my home balcony. And VLOS rules require me to stay in and over my neighbors houses. it's an FAA requirement. If I crash, it's my problem and I would report it if needed. Any comments?

I agree with you in this regard. the flight should be judged by your intent when you took off. if you launched with the intent of having fun, it is a recreational flight. that doesn't change along the way based on the duration of the flight, the route of the flight, the content of the camera lens....nothing. technically the faa won't pop you for commercial flight without a part 107 license if you intended to start flying for fun. however, they could recommend going forward that if you continue to fly that way and your activities start to present a pattern that would suggest otherwise, you may want to seek a part 107, the faa could consider it a "teachable moment." again, you probably won't hear from them unless someone complains. :)

I too have observed an obvious drug sale in my neighborhood, quite by accident. I chuckled.

Running freelance/vigilante neighborhood watch is not recreational flight. I can't speak for the FAA and I don't know what motivates them to investigate or prosecute.

Blinding drivers with spotlights is probably unwise, and at best, does not enhance the general reputation of UAV community pilots. Capitalizing on the assumption that your drone is operated by law enforcement, as you have articulated here, is an interesting activity that treads the boundary of impersonating the police. It is your privilege to push the envelope - until it isn't.

Cops know that they can't stop motorists without probable cause, i.e. articulable suspicion that a specific crime is afoot or imminent; case law on this is complex and murky but mind-reading does not qualify. I cruise streets just for entertainment in all kinds of neighborhoods for multiple reasons - exercising my rights as a US citizen. Sometimes I am scouting for suitable drone launch locations.

Based on your narrative, it seems that your relationship with the local police is nothing more than cordial. They could have you tagged as a wannabe or perhaps are just not interested. But be assured that your interaction has been documented and could bite you in the *** if some future mishap or conflict arises.

Perhaps you should let police do the policing.
"Running freelance/vigilante neighborhood watch is not recreational flight". Aahhh, but this was not your original intent when you took off. It was to have fun. Are we drone pilots simply supposed to pack it up and run away when we accidently come up on illegal activity? Nah. It's Fun. I do suppose though, if the police were running an undercover sting operation, issues could arise. LOL. Oops, sorry, officers, didn't notice you, in plain clothes and civilian cars.

Seriously though. I do only fly for fun. My neighborhood is just a seedy place, so the likelihood of running into someone doing something illegal is higher than most areas. So, I frequently see cars pulling in to get their next fix. It's not that I'm looking for it. I just happened to be up flying for fun, waiting till I get tired, so I can go back to bed. I really don't care what people do with their lives. That's there business. Anyway, I only fly max 2 nights per week and for 30 minutes at most. Then I pack it up and try sleeping again.

I fly for Public Safety and I have some mixed feelings on this.

1. We have never and most likely will never use drones for patrol. Currently we only fly to higher end incidents (already in progress police, fire and ems). I personally feel that there could be serious privacy issues brought up by people about a drone patrolling actively. This seems more in line with surveillance and would be a major issue that people would/could complain about.

2. You know your neighborhood better than anyone on this forum, but are you sure you actually have a drug buyer on video? I am not sure how the majority of people would react if as you put it "blinding lights" are being directed at me while I am driving my car.

3. "Blinding" lights being directed at moving cars does not seem to be safe. I am not sure if you are not opening yourself up to liability of some type of responsibility for causing an accident.

4. I know camera angles are deceiving, but are you sure you are not flying directly over moving vehicles?

5. Are you using liability insurance such as one of the On-Demand services? Something to think about. The more you fly over peoples property over and over the greater chance of a mishap that could include property damage or worse such as personal injury.

6. Be aware of using the drone to film above law enforcement while they are on scene in your neighborhood. They may not take kindly to "blinding" light on them on an incident.

I am not trying to be your mother, but these are just some things to think about.

Does your neighborhood have a Neighborhood Watch Program? If not I would truly try to form one with a meeting from law enforcement. There are various programs which your neighborhood could use to form a more organized and accepted program. National Neighborhood Watch | Crime prevention through neighborhood cohesiveness and collaboration
As mentioned once formed you could then inform all stakeholders in the area of your intentions to add a drone to protecting the neighborhood. It seems like you are truly trying to make your neighborhood a safer place, and who could argue about that. But I can see how people could become irritated by a drone flying up to their car and shining lights on it or lighting up your property at night. Some people do not like feeling as though they are being watched. Also keep in mind about the legal aspects of your video. We have a whole section in our Flight Manual about property rights, viewing rights and also the procedure for chain of custody if the drone records an actual crime.

And finally, you seem to be very close to not flying recreationally. If you are flying as a self neighborhood watch, I would say that you are not flying recreationally. You do not have to receive compensation to have to conduct flights under Part 107. You are stating yourself that you are patrolling the neighborhood and deterring crime so in my opinion (which could be wrong) you need to have a Part 107. Its not like you are flying to just grab some photos and video. Whose guidelines are you using to fly recreationally at night. I was under the assumption that if you flew recreationally at night, you needed to fly under something like the AMA's guidelines in regards to safety. Does your setup have anti-collision lighting also? White flashing at a rate to deter an accident and able to be seen from 3 statute miles? I do not know recreational at night rules too well, but in the name of safety, whether needed or not you should have the above mentioned anti-collision lights added too, especially if a police helicopter is known to travel the area.

Once again not trying to be your mom, just trying to add my 2 cents about things to consider.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I am not trying to be a jerk but there are huge privacy issues and safety factors at play here, especially in these politically charged times in which we are living. Even if no laws are broken, following and/or recording the wrong person could put the health and safety of the pilot at risk.

I’m sure your intentions are good and if you did deter a bad guy from committing a crime, that’s awesome. But, if you were flying around my neighborhood day or night and chasing cars I’d call the cops ASAP. Looking into peoples yards without their permission and lighting up their property is IMO a violation of privacy and not being a responsible drone pilot, commercial or recreational. Right now it seems like you’re flying with the mindset of “better to ask for forgiveness than permission.” If that’s the case then you’re intentionally doing something wrong.
I talked to my stepfather (attorney) about this and was kind of surprised at his answer. Since the FAA controls the airspace, when it comes to drones, a person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their backyard. So say you have a ten foot privacy fence; it would be against the law for your neighbor to mount a camera on a pole and videotape your sunbathing by your pool. However, if the neighbor put the same camera on a drone no privacy laws would be broken. Furthermore, if you got upset and shot the drone out of the sky you'd be in deep doo doo.
Finding a way for people to responsibly fly drones while protecting the privacy of others seems to be a legal nightmare.

I talked to my stepfather (attorney) about this and was kind of surprised at his answer. Since the FAA controls the airspace, when it comes to drones, a person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their backyard. So say you have a ten foot privacy fence; it would be against the law for your neighbor to mount a camera on a pole and videotape your sunbathing by your pool. However, if the neighbor put the same camera on a drone no privacy laws would be broken. Furthermore, if you got upset and shot the drone out of the sky you'd be in deep doo doo.
Finding a way for people to responsibly fly drones while protecting the privacy of others seems to be a legal nightmare.
it's not a legal nightmare. the only people who try to make it a big deal are the people who don't understand. all of a sudden we have privacy problems because someone invented a drone? c'mon.

based on your statement "finding a way for people to responsibly fly drones while protecting the privacy of others..." I'm going to suggest brushing up on the "protecting the privacy" piece of the equation especially when it comes to the expectation and from whom we seek privacy. imo, when flying drones the focus should be on flying safely and within the law instead of "responsible" flying which is mostly related to how others "feel" about your flying. sure, it's important to consider and the pilot should fly with many of these factors in mind but personally, I'm not a supporter of laws created to address this. your previous comment talked about "huge" privacy issues and the idea that flying a drone is a risky proposition....not a fan. I see you indicated you had a subsequent discussion....

I talked to my stepfather (attorney) about this and was kind of surprised at his answer. Since the FAA controls the airspace, when it comes to drones, a person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their backyard. So say you have a ten foot privacy fence; it would be against the law for your neighbor to mount a camera on a pole and videotape your sunbathing by your pool. However, if the neighbor put the same camera on a drone no privacy laws would be broken.
Law Logic prevails. Just to clarify however. We have to satisfy state law enforcement's expectations of privacy AND the FAA's expectations of recreational versus commercial 107 flight at the same time. I live in Florida.

FLORIDA STATUTE: A person....may not use a drone to RECORD privately owned property or the owner, tenant, occupant, invitee, or licensee of such property with the intent to conduct surveillance on the private individual or the private property in violation of such person’s reasonable expectation of privacy without his or her written consent. For purposes of this section, a person has a reasonable expectation of privacy on privately owned property ONLY, IF, IF, IF he or she is not observable by a person or persons located at ground level in a place or property where they have a legal right to be....

So, TO BE ILLEGALLY RECORDING with a drone, You need to set out to surveil a private person on private property, NOT VISIBLE FROM THE STREET or any other property you are not allowed to be.

So, IT IS LEGAL to RECORD with a drone, If you can see or observe a car, property or person, private or not, on a PUBLIC STREET or any other property where you can be legally be. Again, if flying for fun and you find any activity of interest to you on a public street or property where you could see people or cars legally, you are allowed to film them legally. It's the same rule that makes it legal for GOOGLE STREET VIEW TO RECORD CARS AND PEOPLE. If you were legally standing where suspicious activity is taking place, you could film them with a camera, but it's just safer to use your drone.

In regards to people saying I should create a formal neighborhood watch group, not a good idea. If I were to be the volunteer that night on neighborhood watch and I used my drone, It would more than
likely be considered a 107 flight regardless if I were just bored and flying for fun. I'll stick with flying for fun only. If something strange happens on the streets below, it would be FUN to fulfill my curiosity and stay recreational. Anything that occurs on a public street or that can be seen from a public street is fair game.

To satisfy the FAA your original intent to fly should be for fun.
To satisfy ground law enforcement, you can only film with your drone if you would be able to film the same area from a legal location,
i.e. the public roadway, sidewalk, a friends house, etc. Essentially your drone can be filming the same area from above as the same area you can legally be filming from below.
Ground law enforcement allows for intentional surveillance filming of a location (from ground or sky i.e. with a drone) as long as you are filming the same area that you could see if you were legally positioned on the ground or on or in a legal structure near said area. That's why private investigators can film people. They do it from legal locations. As long as they are in a legal location, they are legally allowed to film anything they can see from that location.
To do this in compliance with the FAA, if the intent were surveillance., you would need 107.
Question is, when I fly my drone for fun, and i'm not filming, then I see a bear in the woods and start filming, is that surveillance of a bear according to FAA? Is surveillance no longer considered fun? I DON'T THINK SO. So if your flying for fun and you see people or cars doing something illegal, stupid, funny or whatever and they are in an area where you would be able to film them legally anyway, FILM AWAY! You are satisfying ground law enforcement (reasonable expectation of privacy statutes) and FAA enforcement (Recreational flight Statutes).

The FAA does not consider all filming surveillance unlike ground law enforcement. Ground law enforcement considers any filming surveillance. They just have conditions you have to follow to legally surveil people and property. The FAA doesn't come right out and say it, but to them there is COMMERCIAL SURVEILLANCE AND RECREATIONAL SURVEILLANCE. By definition, any type of filming or picture taking of anything is a form of surveillance. With the FAA, you just have to begin a flight and filming for fun/ recreational/ enjoyment reasons. Sometimes I think recreational fliers shouldn't keep a log except for a dated and timed precheck flight list and a simply stated intent, to fly and film for fun/ recreational/ enjoyment. It will show you are at least trying to be a responsible pilot.
GOT IT NOW?

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro

1. We have never and most likely will never use drones for patrol. Currently we only fly to higher end incidents (already in progress police, fire and ems). I personally feel that there could be serious privacy issues brought up by people about a drone patrolling actively. This seems more in line with surveillance and would be a major issue that people would/could complain about.

2. You know your neighborhood better than anyone on this forum, but are you sure you actually have a drug buyer on video? I am not sure how the majority of people would react if as you put it "blinding lights" are being directed at me while I am driving my car.

3. "Blinding" lights being directed at moving cars does not seem to be safe. I am not sure if you are not opening yourself up to liability of some type of responsibility for causing an accident.

4. I know camera angles are deceiving, but are you sure you are not flying directly over moving vehicles?

5. Are you using liability insurance such as one of the On-Demand services? Something to think about. The more you fly over peoples property over and over the greater chance of a mishap that could include property damage or worse such as personal injury.

6. Be aware of using the drone to film above law enforcement while they are on scene in your neighborhood. They may not take kindly to "blinding" light on them on an incident.

I am not trying to be your mother, but these are just some things to think about.

Does your neighborhood have a Neighborhood Watch Program? If not I would truly try to form one with a meeting from law enforcement. There are various programs which your neighborhood could use to form a more organized and accepted program. National Neighborhood Watch | Crime prevention through neighborhood cohesiveness and collaboration
As mentioned once formed you could then inform all stakeholders in the area of your intentions to add a drone to protecting the neighborhood. It seems like you are truly trying to make your neighborhood a safer place, and who could argue about that. But I can see how people could become irritated by a drone flying up to their car and shining lights on it or lighting up your property at night. Some people do not like feeling as though they are being watched. Also keep in mind about the legal aspects of your video. We have a whole section in our Flight Manual about property rights, viewing rights and also the procedure for chain of custody if the drone records an actual crime.

And finally, you seem to be very close to not flying recreationally. If you are flying as a self neighborhood watch, I would say that you are not flying recreationally. You do not have to receive compensation to have to conduct flights under Part 107. You are stating yourself that you are patrolling the neighborhood and deterring crime so in my opinion (which could be wrong) you need to have a Part 107. Its not like you are flying to just grab some photos and video. Whose guidelines are you using to fly recreationally at night. I was under the assumption that if you flew recreationally at night, you needed to fly under something like the AMA's guidelines in regards to safety. Does your setup have anti-collision lighting also? White flashing at a rate to deter an accident and able to be seen from 3 statute miles? I do not know recreational at night rules too well, but in the name of safety, whether needed or not you should have the above mentioned anti-collision lights added too, especially if a police helicopter is known to travel the area.

Once again not trying to be your mom, just trying to add my 2 cents about things to consider.
I live in California, butte county specifically. Home of the paradise Camp fire and last years Dixie fire. Hundreds of thousands of acres burnt. Many lives lost.costliest disaster in the world 2018. A drone flight that arrived on scene to an event as it developed prevented fire flights from getting in the air and stopping a fire that turned out to be enormous. Id rather have someone flying around prior to the disaster trying to prevent it than the one who smugly showed up in the middle of it and judgmentally allowed that hell to happen. Just saying.

I live in California, butte county specifically. Home of the paradise Camp fire and last years Dixie fire. Hundreds of thousands of acres burnt. Many lives lost.costliest disaster in the world 2018. A drone flight that arrived on scene to an event as it developed prevented fire flights from getting in the air and stopping a fire that turned out to be enormous. Id rather have someone flying around prior to the disaster trying to prevent it than the one who smugly showed up in the middle of it and judgmentally allowed that hell to happen. Just saying.
I lived in Tehama county for 15 years and have friends who lost everything in that fire and personally, I would not want someone out filming everything I have going up in flames.
The simple fact of the matter, whether it's right or wrong, legal or illegal, is every time you take to the sky there is a potential risk of confrontation and/or personal bodily injury. In other words, you could get your *** kicked. Before I fly I always think about the people around me and try to put myself in their shoes.

Last edited:
OK everyone. I appreciate everyone's input. With all comments considered, I think I will discontinue this form of self entertainment. I actually did it because I found it more fun than anything. So now I am a bit nervous about it. I AM GOING TO REMOVE THE VIDEO LINK NOW. Feel free to talk about it, but I'm not leaving the video up any longer. Nor Shall I be performing this activity any longer.
"I appreciate the input” …. LOLOLOL. You.… my friend… are a liar… no offense :). I appreciate your attempt to entertain anyway, and unlike you I really can’t stand these f$&king hall monitors and wish they’d just join the police academy or **** the f(&k up!

that was rude but I don’t apologize to any observers it offends. i stand by the idea of sending a pm to give advice that could be considered condescending but here in the forums is basically thunderdome where everyone’s opinion is so damn important. So today I joined the party. You’re welcome everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: quinn karter

And finally, you seem to be very close to not flying recreationally. If you are flying as aself neighborhood watch, I would say that you are not flying recreationally. You do not have to receive compensation to have to conduct flights under Part 107. You are stating yourself that you are patrolling the neighborhood and deterring crime so in my opinion (which could be wrong) you need to have a Part 107. Its not like you are flying to just grab some photos and video. Whose guidelines are you using to fly recreationally at night. I was under the assumption that if you flew recreationally at night, you needed to fly under something like the AMA's guidelines in regards to safety. Does your setup have anti-collision lighting also? White flashing at a rate to deter an accident and able to be seen from 3 statute miles? I do not know recreational at night rules too well, but in the name of safety, whether needed or not you should have the above mentioned anti-collision lights added too, especially if a police helicopter is known to travel the area.

Not trying to be your mother. Just looking to sign up and join the club with you and your friends who obviously have meetinags exclusively held for superior people such as yourselves, where you get awarded based on how many people you’ve judged, lectured, and informed on whether they asked for it or not.

1. I can safely Assume you will have no problem with me “bullet pointing” some serious personality defects I’ve observed in you based on very limited knowledge about you.

2. I make these assumptions because you exhibit the same condescending and judgmental toneno’s you must be okay with it.

3. Considering he “knows his neighborhood better than anyone” doesn’t it seem a little ridiculous to start with that statement and then follow up with several statements implying that he DOESNT know his neighborhood Better than anyone. Or at least you. But again, being superior, I guess you would know it better.

4. I’m not trying to be your mother. But I am talking to you like you are a child. So maybe more like an elementary grade teacher, babysitter, or uncle touchy.

5. I Find it interesting that you repeatedly chose mother as your diversion statement. Later on Id like to delve into this and understand your obsession with ”mothering” when combined with judgemental and insulting behavior. There may be something there.

Finally you seem to be close to offering legal advice without a practice. You don’t have to receive Compensation to be a lawyer. I.e. pro bono work. But you do have to know what you are talking about and have proven so vis a vis a bar exam. It concerns me that you state you don’t know recreational at night rules and yet you feel the need to lecture on that very subject. Again, not trying to be your mother, I’m just doing my best to point out any and all flaws in you publicly instead of through a private message, that way I have a story to impress the fellas. But at least you got him to remove his video and stop posting, god knows this video drone forum could do with less drone videos and more self righteous and pointless lectures from a bunch of hall monitors.

I lived in Tehama county for 15 years and have friends who lost everything in that fire and personally, I would not want someone out filming everything I have going up in flames.
The simple fact of the matter, whether it's right or wrong, legal or illegal, is every time you take to the sky there is a potential risk of confrontation and/or personal bodily injury. In other words, you could get your *** kicked. Before I fly I always think about the people around me and try to put myself in their shoes.

As far as the fire it was the Dixie fire which grew to over half a million acres and in all probability could’ve been stopped had air crews not been grounded due to a drone being on the sky filming. its common sense not to put lives at risk but just like everything else some choose to do it and are held responsible. Other than that. It’s just not that serious. I’m sorry for your friends losses that was one of the worst days ive ever witnessed.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghost183