Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone operator cited for flying in volcanic eruption zone.

So many people have texted me to fly there, claiming I could take off and land from their yard making it legal!!

In their dreams.

The article also mentions Lava Tree State Monument —- a park that celebrates older lava devouring trees so quickly they don’t completely burn-through, so these lava-coated stumps line the park. Houses all through the area, despite warning signs everywhere it’s dangerous...

So many people have texted me to fly there, claiming I could take off and land from their yard making it legal!!

In their dreams.

The article also mentions Lava Tree State Monument —- a park that celebrates older lava devouring trees so quickly they don’t completely burn-through, so these lava-coated stumps line the park. Houses all through the area, despite warning signs everywhere it’s dangerous...

Why won't they let you fly over the lava? No one there to get hurt! and if you lose it in the flow, you're lost.

CC8402BE-E085-4EDD-A95D-97F482FEEF3A.jpeg Two reasons. Interfering with Emergency Ops & USGS Helo’s and Drones, and access to the area. This is a remote part of the island, with limited roads, for a reason — frequent lava flows. There’s only two, two-lane Hwy’s, and it sounds like it’s down to one this weekend. The last thing authorities want are folks using the limited infrastructure to view lava.
There’s a 5 mile no-fly zone, but if it’s down to Hwy 132 access only, it’s impossible to get anywhere close. It’s also impossible (and probably illegal) to try to hike in. It’s very rough, uneven, dense jungle. You can see the red/orange glow at night from outside the perimeter, but that’s it...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials