Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Crystalsky with EVO 2

These Samsung devices can't sustain that brightness level though can they?
Sure they can. Yah, it will use battery, but the screen is more than capable of it. I use the Note 8 as a dedicated flying device. The Note 10 is even brighter at 1308 nits! The key is to leave the phone in auto brightness mode. Thats where the screen gets max brightness.

Here are pictures of the CS/phone/tablet holder I posted about earlier. Took lots of pictures, so if interested, check them out. I also took pictures of the 3d printed "frame" that I use around the CS 5"...this allows the Evo RC to grip it easily without having to use a bracket. There is also a spacer I printed to use to allow the Evo phone clamp to open wider, creating more tension to hold the device. If you were to use a velcro strap around the holder, I think that would be enough. Is it the most stable? No, but it holds very well. This setup allows you to hold the CS/phone/tablet closer to you, and rest the weight of the device against your body for more stability. Just another option to consider. Each joint or black covered joint can be adjusted for your setup preference. This is a well made holder, and all aluminum, so very light weight.

**hold the press**
I completely forgot about the Anafi Holder I have. This one is inexpensive and very well made. Fits the EVO RC perfectly and opens up a way to use tablets without trying to kludge something together to make it work...here:

Yes, it says it is for the Anafi. It is solid...check the pics. The only drawback is having to connect the carbon fiber small bracket at the back to ensure the bracket is held against the Evo holder. You will need to remove this in order to store the Evo RC. This is the one to get.

20200613_073246.jpg20200613_073257.jpg20200613_073311.jpg20200613_073340.jpg

Attachments

• Evo device holder.zip
    9.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Nope. I have the note 10 plus but bought the CS for that reason. Hard to see in direct sunlight and shows a lot of glare.
Got my 6k bundle waiting for me at my door but have to leave for my son's birthday party so ill have to wait until I get home.
I hate waiting ?

CS Shows a lot of glare as well. The hood is useless. It becomes a mirror. But having the map issue is THEE deal breaker. What happens if something goes wrong and you need to know where your DJI dropped from the sky? So this solution with the EVO II 8K is way better than I had before.

The OTHER bonus... I like to pack my Mirroless Sony, with two lenses. Extra Batts. Plus now the E2. My case is A LOT lighter so I can bike farther and get into areas where I couldn't before. I can launch super quietly. Get my shots in and once above 100', unless I am bookn it. NO ONE knows I am there. Super quiet. With the heavy CS, plus the bracket etc on and on, there was less and less room. Getting rid of all that extra crap has really lightened the load. :)

Another option is to go and pick up a refurbished Note 8. Way cheaper option:

Screen max is 1200 nits. Samsung's Note 8 display sports record-breaking brightness
LESS??? IS more! Trying not to have a million devices all for various puposes.

Reactions: Quad808
See my YouTube video below for detailed instructions on how to get Google Maps working on the Autel Explorer app running on a CrystalSky monitor attached to an Evo II remote controller. It works great now, but was a little tricky (see video). Also, to terminate the "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" messages, every time you turn on the CrystalSky, Evo II remote controller and Evo II aircraft, you must go into Settings, Location on the CrystalSky monitor and turn ON location services with the little slider switch. And be sure to also turn on WiFi on your CrystalSky and either link to a home WiFi or your mobile phone's hotspot in order to get continuous live Google Map updates while flying your Evo II. the video also discussed using the FlyHighUSA mount and compares brightness of the CrystalSky 7.85" Ultra Brightness monitor, the built-in Evo II OLED display and the iPhone XS Max OLED display in bright sunlight.

Well done on finding a solution for Google maps that hopefully will work for everyone!

Reactions: DZNTS
See my YouTube video below for detailed instructions on how to get Google Maps working on the Autel Explorer app running on a CrystalSky monitor attached to an Evo II remote controller. It works great now, but was a little tricky (see video). Also, to terminate the "Unfortunately, Google Play Services has stopped" messages, every time you turn on the CrystalSky, Evo II remote controller and Evo II aircraft, you must go into Settings, Location on the CrystalSky monitor and turn ON location services with the little slider switch. And be sure to also turn on WiFi on your CrystalSky and either link to a home WiFi or your mobile phone's hotspot in order to get continuous live Google Map updates while flying your Evo II. the video also discussed using the FlyHighUSA mount and compares brightness of the CrystalSky 7.85" Ultra Brightness monitor, the built-in Evo II OLED display and the iPhone XS Max OLED display in bright sunlight.

I just got a Crystalsky and a few days ago ran across your video, glad you posted it here for everyone to see.

Reactions: DZNTS and PingSpike

And BAMB!!! I now have Google maps. Thank you so much. I reset my CS monitor before I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly.

@TheMann58 I'm still getting the "Google play services stopped" message appearing.

I went and looked at task manager and found two lots of Google Play services. One was running normally, the other one had "Restarting..." next to it.

I assume it's this one that keeps causing the prompts to appear.

So I force closed the "restarting" one, leaving the other one, and didn't get any more popups after that.

I'm wondering if it gets stuck in a never ending restart loop of some sorts, not realising it's already running? ?‍♂️

OK, I need some help. I’m having trouble getting the Crystalsky to connect to the Evo 2 remote. I have the Autel Explorer installed on CS but they’re not talking to one another. At the top of CS it says “Disconnected” in green letters!
My iPad Mini works fine with the remote.

Last edited:
OK, I need some help. I’m having trouble getting the Crystalsky to connect to the Evo 2 remote. I have the Autel Explorer installed on CS but they’re not talking to one another. At the top of CS it says “Disconnected” in green letters!
My iPad Mini works fine with the remote.
Mine usually says remote control and phone disconnected upon startup. I unplug it and then back in then it works.
Is this the issue that you are having?

No, everything is on, I start the Autel App, touch camera And it says disconnected. I unplug the usb and plug it back in and still no connection. I have uninstalled the Autel app and redownloaded and reinstalled and its the same.

Just to make sure, I connected my iPad Mini 4 and it works perfect with the Evo 2, go figure. Has to be something simple.

I’m just about to give up on the Crystalsky. I have uninstalled the Autel Explorer app now when I try to install it again this window pops up “Pares error, There was a problem parsing the package”.
When the Autel Explorer app was installed I could not get it to connect to the drone. The remote would connect but the CS would not.
Anyone looking for a 5.5” CS, comes with charger and cable?

I’m just about to give up on the Crystalsky. I have uninstalled the Autel Explorer app now when I try to install it again this window pops up “Pares error, There was a problem parsing the package”.
When the Autel Explorer app was installed I could not get it to connect to the drone. The remote would connect but the CS would not.
Anyone looking for a 5.5” CS, comes with charger and cable?
Did you try to reset the cs to new then start over?

Did you try to reset the cs to new then start over?
I did try that and now I can’t get the Autel Explorer to install.
When it was installed and turned everything on, the RC would say App Connected, on the CS Autel Explorer I would press Camera but nothing would show.
This is just way to complicated, it should be just straight forward like it is with an iPad Mini.

I have reset the Crystalsky several times. I have downloaded Autel Explorer app v1.0.1.45 & v1.1.5.3. When trying to install them I get a pop up saying “There was a problem parsing the package”.
OK, fine. What is the problem and how do you fix it?

No expert on this but I had that problem trying to install a App that needed a higher OS then what was on my tablet. So it would not install. Unfortunately I could not upgrade my tablet any more so i could not use that App.

No expert on this but I had that problem trying to install a App that needed a higher OS then what was on my tablet. So it would not install. Unfortunately I could not upgrade my tablet any more so i could not use that App.
Thanks, Augustine. The CS has the latest firmware, that’s the reason for trying 2 different versions of the Autel Explorer app.
I did call DJI support, they were’n very helpful but did ask me to take a screen shot of the pop up I get every time I try to do an install and send it to the support team.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58