Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Crystalsky with EVO 2

CGPhoto

Reaction score
I am happy with my EVO 2 Pro and look forward to Autel continuing to refine their software. At this point the aircraft has what I need to accomplish most of the work that I do. One thing that I just can't stand is trying to use a cell phone for work. I can't see enough detail to make out wires, or even tell if the photo is in focus.

The DJI Crystalsky display is very nice in even in bright sun. It's not hard at all to use the Crystalsky display with the Autel flight software. The video below describes how to download the APK file and put it into the Crystalsky. This video was done with an EVO 1 but it's exactly the same process for the EVO 2. The second link is for the current APK file for the EVO 2.

Autel Explorer for Android - APK Download

I am using the 8" high Brightness 1000 nit version. There is also a Ultra Bright 2000 nit version but, mine failed just after the warranty expired and this seems to be a common problem with the Ultra version.

For now I using a bracket that was designed for a Mavic Pro that has been adapted to connect it to the EVO remote. I have a proper mount on order from Fly High USA.

FlyHighUSA Autel Evo1/2 Remote Crystal Sky Adapter Combo (Includes DJI Crystal Sky Adapter Part 3) - FlyHighUSA

It is much easier to see what I am doing with this display!20200527_164155.jpg

CS Ultra user here ?

The flyhighusa mount seems to be the only one out there that supports the proper DJI quick release mount?

While the new Lifthor Mount looks great, it's not going to be a 5 second job to swap the CS between DJI drones and Autel drones.

My only doubts over the flyhigh one were how strong or secure it was when connected to the controller as I couldn't quite work out how it attaches.

Today, I shot 2 jobs with the CS monitor on the EVO controller. I am a little worried about the single screw mount it is attached to. I had to be really carefull about how I held it. The photos I saw of the flyinghighusa mount seems to use the same single mounting hole. Looks like the Lifthor mount grabs the front of the controller for additional support.

Reactions: PingSpike
This is exactly my concern @CGPhoto ?

The Lifthor mount kinda wraps around the whole controller, it also offers a balanced lanyard mounting point on the mount bracket itself, so all the weight can be held on the lanyard.

Again, the only downside being the faff to change between DJI and Autel drones each time (requires a screwdriver).

But, that said, it looks a lot more stable.

I've placed a pre-order for these two items:

Will post some picks when it arrives.

Reactions: BLADE4
I don't think the maps work at all on the CS do they?

Due to a lack of Google Play services (not) being installed? ?

@CGPhoto -Would using your cell phone as a "hotspot" in the field and connecting the CS to the wi-fi of the phone allow you to use "live" mapping?

It does when I fly DJI. I have not yet tried with the EVO. I would think it so. The CS knows my hotspot password and when I turn on my cell phone hotspot the CS has a connection in about 15 seconds.

Just tried it and the maps do not work. I tried my cell phone and my home wifi and the maps just don't come up at all. Bummer.

I am happy with my EVO 2 Pro and look forward to Autel continuing to refine their software. At this point the aircraft has what I need to accomplish most of the work that I do. One thing that I just can't stand is trying to use a cell phone for work. I can't see enough detail to make out wires, or even tell if the photo is in focus.

The DJI Crystalsky display is very nice in even in bright sun. It's not hard at all to use the Crystalsky display with the Autel flight software. The video below describes how to download the APK file and put it into the Crystalsky. This video was done with an EVO 1 but it's exactly the same process for the EVO 2. The second link is for the current APK file for the EVO 2.

Autel Explorer for Android - APK Download

I am using the 8" high Brightness 1000 nit version. There is also a Ultra Bright 2000 nit version but, mine failed just after the warranty expired and this seems to be a common problem with the Ultra version.

For now I using a bracket that was designed for a Mavic Pro that has been adapted to connect it to the EVO remote. I have a proper mount on order from Fly High USA.

FlyHighUSA Autel Evo1/2 Remote Crystal Sky Adapter Combo (Includes DJI Crystal Sky Adapter Part 3) - FlyHighUSA

It is much easier to see what I am doing with this display!View attachment 7156
Speaking just for myself, I'd be interested in knowing a little more about the Mavic Pro bracket you adapted to connect to the EVO remote. I checked out SkyHigh and while I'm confident that this is a very high quality bracket, $120 is way outside my price range, so I'm looking for a budget friendly (not duct tape) solution. Would you mind posting pics of your current bracket? What are you plans for it once your SkyHigh bracket arrives?

Thanks
~
EM

Reactions: Bigdz
Anyone try this table holder?

Just tried it and the maps do not work. I tried my cell phone and my home wifi and the maps just don't come up at all. Bummer.
The maps do work if you preinstall Google maps, Google play services and some ancillary apps. But then the left side of your Explorer app is covered with “Google play services not responding” messages every few seconds. I finally gave up and uninstalled Google play services. This was about a year ago, and I have not gone back to try to fix the problem.

Speaking just for myself, I'd be interested in knowing a little more about the Mavic Pro bracket you adapted to connect to the EVO remote. I checked out SkyHigh and while I'm confident that this is a very high quality bracket, $120 is way outside my price range, so I'm looking for a budget friendly (not duct tape) solution. Would you mind posting pics of your current bracket? What are you plans for it once your SkyHigh bracket arrives?

Thanks
~
EM

The one I am using is part of a CS mount for my Mavic Pro. It has a small hole that I was able to bolt to the back of the EVO remote once I removed the phone holder.

Its not a good solution. Its awkward to hold and screen is too far back. Its only temporary. I don't recommend it as a long term solution. When I get a real mount, this one will go back to working on my Mavic.

The one I am using is part of a CS mount for my Mavic Pro. It has a small hole that I was able to bolt to the back of the EVO remote once I removed the phone holder.

Its not a good solution. Its awkward to hold and screen is too far back. Its only temporary. I don't recommend it as a long term solution. When I get a real mount, this one will go back to working on my Mavic.

Thank you for that! I might have to knuckle up and make the $120 plunge after all!
~
EM

Yes it does have the same single hole problem, but when in use the screen will be at an angle to the controller and not be flat like my current solution. There is a lot more leverage when it is flat.

The maps do work if you preinstall Google maps, Google play services and some ancillary apps. But then the left side of your Explorer app is covered with “Google play services not responding” messages every few seconds. I finally gave up and uninstalled Google play services. This was about a year ago, and I have not gone back to try to fix the problem.

My experience as well. Trying to figure it out.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d