Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Creating 3D Models of Cell Towers With Evo 2

GunnerBAC

Reaction score
Somebody told me that, because the Evo 2 has a rolling shutter, it cannot be used to map a cell tower because the photos will come out skewed. Does this have any truth to it? If so, is there any way around it by adjusting any settings like the frame rate or the shutter speed or maybe having the drone move slower?

Last edited:
Somebody told me that, because the Evo 2 has a rolling shutter, it cannot be used to map a cell tower because the photos will come out skewed. Does this have any truth to it? If so, is there any way around it by adjusting any settings like the frame rate or the shutter speed or maybe having the drone move slower?
I did a 3D map of high voltage power-line towers with my evo2 6k. I've done other mapping as well. Both with 100% success. I've used 'stop-shoot-move to next position 'stop-shoot-move', etc and I've just kept the sUAV moving the entire time - all w/o issue.

Usually when shooting for technical applications such as mapping I keep a fast shutter and a deep f-stop.

Reactions: GunnerBAC
I did a 3D map of high voltage power-line towers with my evo2 6k. I've done other mapping as well. Both with 100% success. I've used 'stop-shoot-move to next position 'stop-shoot-move', etc and I've just kept the sUAV moving the entire time - all w/o issue.

Usually when shooting for technical applications such as mapping I keep a fast shutter and a deep f-stop.
Great! Is there a way to automate the stopping and shooting or do you do it all manually? Also, f-stop is aperture, right? And by "deep" do you mean increasing or decreasing the number?

Great! Is there a way to automate the stopping and shooting or do you do it all manually? Also, f-stop is aperture, right? And by "deep" do you mean increasing or decreasing the number?
I've always shot manually so I stop then shoot then move on. You want a lot of depth-of-field so, yes, the f-stop needs to be at a higher #. I try to get higher than f8

I've always shot manually so I stop then shoot then move on. You want a lot of depth-of-field so, yes, the f-stop needs to be at a higher #. I try to get higher than f8
Cool! 3 more questions. What do you set your shutter speed to approximately? Do you use orbiting mode to make it easier? How long does it normally take you to map a tower using the stop and go tactic?

My first mapping test flight I did orbit and didn't stop. The pix came out slightly soft because my exposure time was too slow. Lesson learned - depending on how far of a radius, I go 1/125 minimum. I've done the grid flight pattern w diagonal finishes. So far it has depended on the location.

you just want your shutter speed fast as possible, I have never had any issues mapping with the evo 2 pro

yes you can, DD wont fly your drone but you can upload all data to DD and it will process it.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials